Creek Wyndsor and Pro-ject RPM 10 - mini reviews

Rob

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 10, 2007
Coppull, Chorley
AKA
Rob
I thought that following the post “advertising†the Creek Wyndsor at Superfi for a shade under a grand as I had owned the Wyndsor for about a week before changing to a Project RPM 10 that I could post some thoughts here and giver a quick comparison between the two. Both decks can now be had for similar prices too so the comparison is relevant from this perspective too.

What is worth getting out of the way first is that I did not move the Windsor on because of performance – more bloody mindedness to be honest after which I got a refund from Superfi. Basically two or three of the accessories that the t/t was supposed to ship with it didn’t. I was then informed that the said accessories only applied to export models and that I had to make do with what I had. Dealing with Superfi were “super†and they agreed to a refund.

Anyway, to the Wyndsor itself. It arrives in a fantastic flight case that, although looks great, unless you are going to be moving your t/t around it in often becomes a pain to store.

The fit and finish of the table is great too. It was fairly easy to set up but only because I had some prior knowledge on doing this. The lack of pictures and clarity in the instructions would make it rather more difficult to the uninitiated.

Once set up it looks fabulous. I fitted my Denon DL304 and sat down to listen. It sounds pretty good with a very laid back sound and a real flow to the sound. Classical music sounds great. Rock is good but not great. Bass is a little light for this type of music. Also treble seems a little rolled off. In some ways sound quality feels quite “old fashionedâ€.

Sound staging and separation of instruments is also reasonable if a little narrow and congested at times.

One other thing to note is how lightweight in construction the deck is. Any slight nudge on a smooth surface sends the deck sliding. In the instructions it suggests putting bluetak under the spike protectors to keep the deck in place. I didn’t have the deck long enough to try this but it would be one solution. What it does highlight though is that the deck must be properly supported to work it’s best.

Overall a very good deck for the money although I think if I had paid the original asking price (£2,000) I would have been pretty disappointed. For £2k I would expect a LOT more for my money.

On to the RPM 10 then. Totally different in appearance, technology and design. A lot has been said about the brand good and not so good. I had a Debut deck around 10 years ago which was pretty average if memory serves. The Rega P2 I had after it was so far ahead it was untrue.

As you may or may not know the RPM 10 is the top of line deck from Project and has some high end technology in the form of opposing magnets in the platter/deck along with huge and heavy platter, carbon fibre 10 inch tone arm, internal damping everywhere, outboard motor and a heavy platform to sit it all on. In terms of build quality it all feels very well put together, solid and unlike the Wyndsor once it is in place only a small earthquake is likely to move it.

Oh and it arrives in a cardboard box. Rubbish!

As it was virtually all put together assembly takes minutes. Just stick the platter on, sort the belt out (the tool helping measure the distance the motor needs to be from the platter is great), ensure that it is level and way you go. The deck came prefitted with an Ortofon Rondo Blue and so after ensuring that it was still aligned properly I was able to stick a record on, place the very heavy brass puck on top and away we went.

As for sound quality it was streets ahead of the Creek. Soundstage was huge, detail amazing, bass thunderous, great drive but with a decent amount of subtlety on classical records.

I haven’t tried the Denon on it yet and you may say that a lot of the sound difference was due to the Ortofon but I am not so sure. I will try the Denon on it.

If I had paid the full amount for the deck and cartridge I would have felt in pure audiophile terms that it was good value for money.

As I paid less than half that I feel it is an out and out bargain.

AVLand have the RPM 10 for £1,100. I would not hesitate to pay the extra over the Wyndsor for it.

Finally, what I found a little off putting before buying the RPM 10 was the colour. On some Google images it looks like the deck is a light grey. In the flesh it is a much darker charcoal grey and looks fantastic.

Hope the above helps.

omegatt

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 20, 2008
Shrewsbury, ,
AKA
Tony
Rob, Thanks for a great review, for someone like me who has never had a TT the ease of set up of the Project is a bonus. Did you get yours through AVLand, cause thier website says they are £1999 ?

Thanks

Rob

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 10, 2007
Coppull, Chorley
AKA
Rob
I got mine as an ex dem model on AVland.

The price has gone up recently clearly. Sorry to have misled you.

If you can afford the one on Superfi at the extra £300 it is well worth it.

Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online