Marginal Gains

New Wammer
Oct 21, 2018
Denny, Scotland
AKA
Jim
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a Marantz PM6005 and was thinking of changing to a Cyrus One. The reason being that the Cyrus puts out more wattage and it seems excellent for the money. I am not dissatisfied with what I have but think more watts might get more from my Oberon 7s. Might this be a decent move or will I need to spend more to get a worthwhile improvement?

I am looking for some opinions before I arrange a listen.

Thanks in advance.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a Marantz PM6005 and was thinking of changing to a Cyrus One. The reason being that the Cyrus puts out more wattage and it seems excellent for the money. I am not dissatisfied with what I have but think more watts might get more from my Oberon 7s. Might this be a decent move or will I need to spend more to get a worthwhile improvement?

I am looking for some opinions before I arrange a listen.

Thanks in advance.
I don’t think your speakers are a difficult load so I’m sure the Marantz is doing a good job. The Cyrus does produce on paper, a higher power rating but more watts doesn’t mean better sound. It really is best to listen to both amps in your home to really see if it’s the Cyrus is right or something else

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
marantz are a very reliabler brand . have you seen the remote for the cyrus one ? is it ok for you ? marantz make some superb stuff . make sure you get a listen to the 6007 as well or even higher . personally i rather like the marantz.

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Are you after a brand new Cyrus One, as they recently upgraded it with digital inputs and better Bluetooth (not sure exactly) and some now describe it as the One HD? There’s also a Cast version. Its tricky to see which one is which sometimes, so just a caution.

I believe the amp section remains pretty much the same. About twice the output of your Marantz, but that’s only 3dB louder in practice. If you find your system too smooth, then the Cyrus is probably a good bet. If you find it a bit edgy, I’d be more cautious moving to the One.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Make sure you listen at length before getting your wallet out.

Marginal Gains

New Wammer
Oct 21, 2018
Denny, Scotland
AKA
Jim
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the replies.

Sometimes I just feel there could be a bit more detail across the range but I am generally happy with the sound. I thought an amp with a bit more power would maybe suit the speakers better too. I don’t listen at loud levels and play music from across many genres.

My sources are a Marantz CD6005 and a Project Debut Carbon with Ortofon Blue. I know this is a modest set up but it generally works for me. Maybe I am just looking for more than I have a right to expect At this level.

The Cyrus seemed like a good option for a smaller outlay. I was also considering the Arcam SA20 or the Roksan Attessa for an audition or maybe look at changing a source.

I’ll speak to my local store and see what they can do for me with a home listen.

Reactions: Nopiano

Bokke

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the replies.

Sometimes I just feel there could be a bit more detail across the range but I am generally happy with the sound. I thought an amp with a bit more power would maybe suit the speakers better too. I don’t listen at loud levels and play music from across many genres.

My sources are a Marantz CD6005 and a Project Debut Carbon with Ortofon Blue. I know this is a modest set up but it generally works for me. Maybe I am just looking for more than I have a right to expect At this level.

The Cyrus seemed like a good option for a smaller outlay. I was also considering the Arcam SA20 or the Roksan Attessa for an audition or maybe look at changing a source.

I’ll speak to my local store and see what they can do for me with a home listen.
Just another viewpoint
Id consider Cyrus Mono blocks (2nd hand on eBay etc) berfore buying entry level cyrus one brand new from a dealer

ATM there are mono x for 895 and apa 7.5 for 795

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online