DD TT's - Quartz lock or Servo Control

soupdragon

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 18, 2006
Derbyshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
no idea, my JVC has a quartz lock - i guess its the stability of the revolution of the deck etc - we shall have to wait Murray Johnson !

Liam

M

murray johnson

Indeed, BB has had experience of more of these than I have.

Have a read here.

http://de.geocities.com/bc1a69/index_eng.html

I often see SP10 Mk2's, SP15's and 25'sselling on Australian eBay so I wouldn't have thought it would be too difficult for you to find a good sample locally.Get (or make) a substantial plinth for it and investigate different mats to the nasty rubber one. the Funk Achromat or something in acrylic or polycarbonate would be preferable although it will have to be only 292mm diameter.

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Quartz Lock just references the speed to an internally pre-set value whereas servo control relies on feedback from the platter or motor internals to regulate the speed.Thusly and henceforthly they both have their advantages and disadvantages, but if the deck in question is in good nick and properly set up internally, they are both capable of performing equally well.

mikedefacto

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
Liverpool
AKA
Mike
so scratching was invented in the 90s eh?
tongue.png

M

murray johnson

bodymusic wrote:

murray johnson wrote:
I often see SP10 Mk2's, SP15's and 25's
Hi

Which model of older DD is the best one to go for if you are looking on eBay etc?
I use an SP10 Mk2. These turn up quite often. I'd avoid the ex radio station ones with an extra box of electronics & pitch control. The standard one has an offboard power supply in a single box.

The SP15 and25 are less common & perhaps less good. But there were others from the likes of Denon, Sony, JVC and Pioneer which are probably perfectly fine. Read through the information on the DD site linked to above.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online