Wammer Plus
Mar 29, 2020
Doncaster
primevehiclelogistics.com
AKA
Stewart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bought a DENON DP59L and a pair of PMC FB1 speakers to replace my Sony PSX 600 and Mission 730s / Celestion 33s
What an absolute waste of money, the speakers are light on bass, muddied in the midrange and non existent on HF.

I don't have any other speakers to compare them to so if anyone local to Doncaster would be able to offer me some for a day or two I'd be very much in their debt.
Stewart

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Did you audition the speakers before you bought them or were you taking a punt second hand?

The PMC should not be bass shy and should be giving well defined bass significantly lower than what you had before (due to the transmission line design). They are also efficient at 90db so do not need a massive power amp.

Personally I am at a bit of a loss as to why you have foiund them light on bass .. and missing the hf as they have a metal tweeter and it was the top end that did not float my boat with these speakers. I also noted that there are no "bad" reviews.

From the degree of sound problem you are having it makes me wonder if there is something wrong with the speakers or their placement. Or of course it just could be that one man's sonic nirvana is another man's earache

Reactions: hiesteem and tuga

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As above, they shouldn’t be bass light and definitely shouldn’t be lacking in top end.

Something’s not right. IMHO, they should walk all over Ditton 33s.

Reactions: It Cost How Much!?!

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As above, they shouldn’t be bass light and definitely shouldn’t be lacking in top end.

Something’s not right. IMHO, they should walk all over Ditton 33s.
They haven't been to my taste when I've heard them, but I also agree that the last criticism I'd be making is a lack of bass and treble.

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
1. Run them for a couple of days during the day at low volume, as they may have been standing doing nothing for ages.
2. PMC speakers need loads of power, like 200W to sound good in my experience, they don't like low level listening.
3. Did you plug the Ditton 33's back in and all was OK?
4. Are you sure it's the speakers and not the TT?
5. PMC speakers are not bass light.

liongate

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 15, 2013
Stamford, UK
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a pair of Fb1+ for ten years. They had plenty of bass and good top end. What they didn’t have was detail in the mid range. They do need space around them to perform.

Reactions: hiesteem

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm in the camp of summat wrong with the speakers. Are all the drivers working and, if so, do they sound about right with your ear quite close? If so is the amp running ok?
So many things potentially can go wrong, but bass light is really not PMCs signature house sound; if you'd said boomy bass, disproportionate to the midrange I'd get your drift.

Reactions: Nopiano

vinyl4ever

Mr
Wammer Plus
Mar 29, 2020
Doncaster
AKA
Stewart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi all
Thanks for the replies
I heard them in someone else's system but his was digital only, tbf they do sound better via CD or streaming than via vinyl.
So checked my set up on the DP59L, the only thing not checked accurately is arm height
Checked phase = correct
Tried a phono stage as well as the p phono jacks
Both drivers have sound and there's bass from the bottom port

There's more clarity with digital still not as good as with the 33s. I played some well known vinyl tracks today and I switched off, they sounded like they were wrapped cloth or foam.

Unfortunately I don't have the 33s
anymore, which is why I was looking to borrow a pair of something similar to get a benchmark.

Stewart

• Thanks
Reactions: lindsayt

vinyl4ever

Mr
Wammer Plus
Mar 29, 2020
Doncaster
AKA
Stewart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi all
Thanks for the replies
I heard them in someone else's system but his was digital only, tbf they do sound better via CD or streaming than via vinyl.
So checked my set up on the DP59L, the only thing not checked accurately is arm height
Checked phase = correct
Tried a phono stage as well as the p phono jacks
Both drivers have sound and there's bass from the bottom port

There's more clarity with digital still not as good as with the 33s. I played some well known vinyl tracks today and I switched off, they sounded like they were wrapped cloth or foam.

Unfortunately I don't have the 33s
anymore, which is why I was looking to borrow a pair of something similar to get a benchmark.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The 'problem' with your old Ditton 33 is that they have the good old fashioned BBC midrange magic.
Once heard it's quite a challenge to get something that sounds as natural. Tbh when I heard the FB1 at a dealer dem they don't even get close.

I don't know why, but as uzzy said, you don't see a bad review of the FB1. I was really surprised at the dealer dem that they didn't sound better. The dem guy just gave an apologetic shrug and said he agreed that they were overrated but they did sell quite well.

As for the bass and treble, I agree with others that what you are reporting is the opposite of what I'd expect. But room and placement issues, kit synergy, and personal perception and preference come into play here. Then again they may not be performing as they should.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.