Linn Owners

Disconnect Ethernet-Kabeln and power cord

HollyJohnsen

Wammer
Dec 20, 2021
Germany, Waldeck
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I listen with an Exact system. Inspired by an older post, I took the trouble to disconnect all Ethernet wires from the power cords. I have made sure that everywhere a separation of at least 3 cm is given. To keep it that way, I fixed the lines. It was a little work but I am rewarded. I wasn't sure if the work would pay off, but now even I'm shaking my ass. It sings and takes me with it. In addition, I have the feeling that it sounds less rough, and instruments end cleaner. Voices touch me even more. I am thrilled and wanted to share it with you.

Last edited:

Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton
Wammer
Jan 30, 2019
Nowhere in Particular
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When specifying installation instructions for kit at data centres, we always advised routing power cables away from data (signal) cables; it was a standard practice. I do this at home, but am moving towards PoE (Power over Ethernet) so the top level switch in my home office powers in-room switches. (Any thought on PoE?) However, there's no PoE on Linn kit so I, too, keep my Exakt connection (Urika II) and ADSM Ethernet away from mains leads. To me what you've done is ideal and if you're enjoying your system even more that has to be good news.

Reactions: HollyJohnsen

Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton
Wammer
Jan 30, 2019
Nowhere in Particular
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I‘ve not done similar tests so can’t say my system sounds better because I keep power cables away from signal cables: it‘s something I’ve always done. This paper is similar to ones we used to follow
https://www.truecable.com/blogs/cable-academy/running-ethernet-and-power-cable.

I would like to use PoE as it reduces the number cables and gives me a neater setup, but using the same leads for power and signal is counter intuitive. Though if my memory serves me well Naim do this when powering a pre-amp from power amp and USB cables carry signal and power.

Sound Man

Wammer
Aug 7, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My streaming input feed into the Organik DSM is via the German made Devolo Powerline LAN. At the main hub end a stream feed is taken into one mains and broadband input block and plugged into the house mains socket and in my hifi room a second mains block is plugged into the mains and streams into my Organik. The point is, the streaming info is fed on the house mains system down mains cables.

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I listen with an Exact system. Inspired by an older post, I took the trouble to disconnect all Ethernet wires from the power cords. I have made sure that everywhere a separation of at least 3 cm is given. To keep it that way, I fixed the lines. It was a little work but I am rewarded. I wasn't sure if the work would pay off, but now even I'm shaking my ass. It sings and takes me with it. In addition, I have the feeling that it sounds less rough, and instruments end cleaner. Voices touch me even more. I am thrilled and wanted to share it with you.
I agree with you completely

Managing cables is a free way of getting better sound quality for a little bit of time and effort

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I‘ve not done similar tests so can’t say my system sounds better because I keep power cables away from signal cables: it‘s something I’ve always done. This paper is similar to ones we used to follow
https://www.truecable.com/blogs/cable-academy/running-ethernet-and-power-cable.

I would like to use PoE as it reduces the number cables and gives me a neater setup, but using the same leads for power and signal is counter intuitive. Though if my memory serves me well Naim do this when powering a pre-amp from power amp and USB cables carry signal and power.
Thanks for the article. I see the author cites the NEC, so could be some real engineering. I do the same with my cables, keep them separate, even though I know from testing that it won't make an audible difference. I just don't think the lengths we deal with in most home hifi setups are long enough to have an effect.

I did have an interesting experience routing Exaktlinks under the Akubariks, where there are big magnets. I say, move the cables away from the magnets. There was an audible difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nestor Turton

Sound Hound

Wammer
Jan 17, 2019
AKA
Not Actually Canine
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Every so often I will unplug/replug all components in my system. This alone always seems to be beneficial to the sound - replugging cleans the contact points.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And I find that if I dust everything carefully too, then it helps even more. Nothing like a neat and tidy looking system to sound good!
Just yesterday, I did some major dusting of the listening room and my system. I did enjoy particularly good sound last night. However, I'm not ready to assign any cause and effect. :)

Wenge1

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Sep 19, 2021
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just yesterday, I did some major dusting of the listening room and my system. I did enjoy particularly good sound last night. However, I'm not ready to assign any cause and effect. :)
If you dust your ears whilst your at it I think you will find more improvement still ......... ;):sneaky:

• Haha
Reactions: akamatsu

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.