Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Thought I would start a new thread.

So far, I now have a Rega RB300 arm

And the Motor, Platter/Bearing and PSU from a Sony TTS-3000 courtesy of Adam :^ (pics to add in a few days or so)

Sony TTS-3000 by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

Sony TTS-3000 Parts by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

Sony TTS-3000 Parts by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

Idea is to keep it cheap and simple

Idea V1.1:

TT V1.1 by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

Basically a 2mm aluminium top plate to mount the bearing, motor and tonearm. I can get these made at work which helps.

There will be a bottom plate too with a plywood cylinder in between for the motor/bearing and tonearm.

I have also put in a decorative plinth to go around it, pure looks.

Vinyl Art

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 13, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cheers, I shall have a look at that. I have been looking fro something a bit easier and frankly, better, than Google Sketchup.

Vinyl Art

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 13, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yea just saw that on their web page, oh well, my search continues. Will bang out of your DIY thread. Might start up a new one on simple CAD packages though. :^

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Any comments on the Pioneer arm? (with a better headshell)

Could I better it for around £100, or would it be better spending the extra later on a cartridge?

EDIT: now found a Rega RB300 arm so will use that :^

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Well the Sony bits are here, and the arm sorted, so I am going to get the plans for the top plate done tonight.

One thing I have seen is the difference in the mounting distance with the RB300.

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/rega/rb300.shtml

Rega say 222mm but other say 219.5mm for perfect baerwald alignment.

Will the cart choice influence this? I have no idea what I will go for yet.

And again, many thanks to Adam :^

clk230

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2008
Essex
AKA
Oscar
I would say go for 222 or you could make a slotted arm board or a movable round arm board with an off centre hole that way you can experiment with the two positions.

G

Rega use an alignment which is pretty much Stevenson, basically optimized for the best result at the inner grooves. You can get baerwald with some cartridges (the mounting is further forward in the head shell, at the front of the slots), Stevenson has a shorter overhang so the cartridge tends to sit more in the middle of the headshell.

All above is with the standard mounting distance.

Go for slot!

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My advice would always be to go for an SME mounting, as you can buy/make adaptors from SME to most others, but trying to get an SME mounting arm into a Rega hole is a bit of a challenge.

rahman

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 6, 2008
Dublin
AKA
Adrian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sweet graphics.

Is there any particular reason why you're coupling the bearing/motor to the arm via the top-plate? I would have thought de-coupling might have been a better way of avoiding noise from the former getting to the arm/cart...

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Finally been getting on with some stuff. Had a busy few weeks and been doing some other CAD work so got round to modelling the bits properly today:

TTS-3000 by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

TTS-3000 by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

Getting there, once these are done, I can do the final design properly. Main bits to do are the mounting plate and a rough version of the RB300 arm :nerves:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online