Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My mum, bless her. left me 100 or so classical records from the 50's, 60's and 70's. Some lovely ols records from Decca, EMI, RCA, Philips etc, some mono, some stereo, most of crisp thick black stuff.

I thought I'd clean them, play them and occasionally report a gem, in case you charity shop hunters need a clue or two.

I shall steer clear Of DG...sorry but I don't like the RIAA curve they use.

Today, it's

ALP 2285. EMI's Beethoven Violin concerto in B (op 61)

Violin the great Menuhin, conducted by Klemperer with the New Philharmonia.

The recording I have is the mono disc from 1966.

Recording and pressing are very good/excellent. The dynamics and clarity are all there, particularly on the menuhin solo parts, where the timbre of his violin (it's a stradivarius I think I recall) and bowing variations are clear as day and fabulous to hear. The man's a genius! Some of the denser orchestral parts are not as well defined as some more modern recordings, but the atmosphere is well captured and the sound-staging well presented and in no way artificial or exagerated. You are sitting center stalls, about 25 rows back Perfect.

Fans of superb virtuoso violin pieces need to add this. The performance is faultless, and the recording lets you hear it all. :)

jkbmusic

Staff member
Nov 25, 2006
Brittunculi
AKA
Jeff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
:^ Great stuff, I have about 25 album my parents had before they died. My siblings where going to give them to a charity shop :shock: . Some people have no feelings :roll: .

michaelb

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2007
London
I shall steer clear Of DG...sorry but I don't like the RIAA curve they use.
+1

I can never get on with DG vinyl. Except one charity shop find of Karajan's Beethoven symphonies boxed set still factory sealed. I'm not much of a fan of Karajan either but it was a joy to play virgin vinyl.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online