Expensive cables for expensive systems ?

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
All hifi items stand firmly under the Law of Diminishing Returns …..big changes in quality of a system (inc cables) from a base level per £100 going to micro levels per £100 once you breach a figure that we could spend the next 8 pages arguing over - “ starter for 10 “ as a well known quiz show says …..I’ll set it at £10k.

The other law that applies is AQL ….acceptable quality level
Some of us are happy with eating Aldi Baked Beans at 30p a tin ….other pick Heinz at £1.10 a tin - but they are both tins of baked beans fit for human consumption etc, the choice we all make each day is how much quality we can justify or afford.

The_Krell

Wammer
Sep 13, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Some of us are happy with eating Aldi Baked Beans at 30p a tin ….other pick Heinz at £1.10 a tin - but they are both tins of baked beans fit for human consumption etc, the choice we all make each day is how much quality we can justify or afford.
Heinz Organic Baked Beans knock the rest into touch (imo) £1/can at my local Waitrose atm.

Which reminded me of my niece in law proudly telling her father "...beans aren't grown in fields they come from a factory"...she was 15 at the time :cry:

• Haha
Reactions: Tony_J

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
All hifi items stand firmly under the Law of Diminishing Returns …..big changes in quality of a system (inc cables) from a base level per £100 going to micro levels per £100 once you breach a figure that we could spend the next 8 pages arguing over - “ starter for 10 “ as a well known quiz show says …..I’ll set it at £10k.

The other law that applies is AQL ….acceptable quality level
Sometimes the cheaper product is better, just like HiFi.

• Upvote
Reactions: Nativebon

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sometimes the cheaper product is better, just like HiFi.
Sometimes, absolutely.

IME it's 'accessories' where the price-performance ratio goes in the bin, and cables in particular. Some of the worst cables I've had here, in terms of affecting the sound, have been eye-wateringly expensive, but so have some of the best. On the other hand, some of the cheapest have been excellent, but some have been truly awful.

on the rocks

Wammer
Dec 13, 2020
Sheffield
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cables don’t exist in isolation; their properties influence operation of source output stage circuits and pre-amp input circuits. When I tried different cables it was frustrating to find that more expensive interconnects were required for these circuits to perform properly. I settled on Chord Chorus. So maybe more expensive equipment need better cables? However I expect the BS overrides reality at some point

• Upvote
Reactions: Nativebon

2010*zuma

Super Wammer
Wammer
Nov 12, 2011
Caerphilly castle
AKA
Young Neil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Its claimed that many systems do not benefit from the use of expensive cables looms because they are not high resolution enough or, simply put, just not good enough to reveal the differences.

Is there any truth in this statement ?
I don’t really understand the question but I had 3 sets of cables that retail £21k I never had a problem with them.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My cables use quantum entanglement.
I use ordinary entanglement, but those damned quantums sneak in anyway.

Worse, I seem to use accidental entanglement, which means I spend half a day routing all the cables neatly and carefully. When I come to swap something in the rack at a later date, the whole lot have nevertheless become interwoven into some total mayhem.

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Imagine what a 5 way active system is like - that's super-entanglement. Mind you as I have just swapped out the Ayre pre for a Django TVC, that reduces the items that plug in to just 13. Its small wonder I favour balanced connections..
Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.