Food. Anything you want to know just ask.

JBCobra

Legend Wammer
Wammer
May 10, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Jamie! It turned out great. I have a couple piccies I will post shortly :)

batteredhaggis

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 29, 2013
East Sussex
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Great - but please don't until after 3pm your time - I don't think my stomach could take it; ravenous and trying to hold off until supper.... :sick:

JBCobra

Legend Wammer
Wammer
May 10, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Here you go

PampSIMAG3185_zpsmdjw4haf.jpg

b5a8ba3d-7a1c-45e4-8025-f9b54405f356_zpsuysvzj8r.jpg

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The perfect Ragu sauce. 20-odd years ago I was trained at cooking school and subsequently worked part-time at a couple of Italian restaurants. 

Hands up, many people add sugar to their spagbol or lasagna? Over the years I've perfected the Ragu without additional sugar. You'll need:

Large onion

Celery

Carrots

Balsamic vinegar

Tomato puree 

Tomatoes

Red bell peppers

Method:

Under a screaming hot grill, blacken the peppers. Once charred cover in cling film or tin foil and set aside.

Soften the celery and carrots in good quality olive oil, then add the chopped onion and cook very slowly. Onions naturally have a high sugar content and slow cooking brings the sweetness out without colouring. Once soft, add finely chopped garlic and add the tomato puree (important you add the puree before adding the tinned tomatoes. Puree is quite bitter) with a good glug of balsamic vinegar - only for about 30 seconds. Season with black pepper and sea salt.

Don't buy the chopped tinned tomatoes. The whole plum toms tinned are of better grade. You can also use fresh and vine tomatoes.

Optional: You could use fresh herbs, but not essential at this stage.

Remove the peppers from the foil or clingfilm and scrape some of the outer blackened skin off. 

Add the Ragu and peppers to a food mixer until smooth. You can refrigerate or freeze the Ragu sauce, and it can used in a plethora of dishes, including Chili con Carnies 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online