Four Last Songs at RFH with Christine Brewer

G

I had expected my 50th birthday to be really stressful but in the end it was quite delightful ... an £80 bill from Yo Sushi underneath the RFH notwithstanding ...

Weds May 4 just happened to have Christine Brewer doing Richards Strauss's Four Last Songs at the RFH. The wife knows the 4LS is one of my all-time favourite works, so she booked it months in advance.

Being a dedicated chamber music and lieder nut, it's actually been quite a few years since I heard a full-sized band going for it. And it was something of a delight, opening with Wagner's Prelude to Act 1 of Meistersinger. (Jolly good potboiling stuff but hardly the main event though!).

I had been worried about Christine Brewer as the Strauss I have her singing (I don't have her 4LS but I do have some Strauss orchestral songs from an old BBC Magazine CD) is overly operatic and dramatic compared to my normal list of singers of these songs. Watching her wobble out wasn't encouraging - if she lived in Scotland I'd say she would have well eaten chips and deep fried mars bars to earn her a free Mobility car - but thankfully she was rather more restrained on the night than the Fat Lady image might suggest. No Schwartzkopf or Janowitz, but any missing vocal subtlety was more than made up by the wonderful LPO who were truly fantastic. Tears by Beim Schalfengen are almost obligatory for me, but them lasting through to Im Abendrot was unexpected. Truly wonderful performance by the orchestra and a decent one by Christine Brewer too. What a birthday! Somewhat made by the appearance of Christine Brewer at the next box to ours (home the the BBC announcer) practically as soon as the clapping stopped (her conversation with the R3 producers was admirably technical). I guess she can still do stairs then ...

Unexpected highlight of the night though was the Tchaikowsky 5th Symphony. I heard the SNO do this in my early 20s and knew it quite well from back then from some old CFP recording with the LSO, long forgotten in the interim as my tastes have changed somewhat since the early 80s.

The LPO did a magnificent job of it - a great, coherent, reading from Vladimir Jurowski. The wife and I, with a right hand box to ourselves, thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it (although it's the antithesis of our usual lieder, chamber music and baroque diet both at home and in London's concert halls).

Anyway, it was broadcast live on R3 http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b010tz9j/Radio_3_Live_in_Concert_London_Philharmonic_Wagner_Tchaikovsky_Strauss/ so anyone who is keen can have another listen on iPlayer.

I guess 50 isn't so bad .... :)

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yep, happy birthday, Tom. :biffday: :testy1: 50 isn't so bad after all, is it! :)

The Wobbly One's (aka Ms Brewer) 4LS on CD with Runnicles conducting the Atlanta SO is probably my fave of the many I have on the shelves. Her main competition for me comes from Felicity Lott. Both are in glorious voice, with Lotty the more obviously Straussian ... but oh, the way Ms Brewer soars .....

I first heard it at AlanB's ... he dislikes it fairly intensely though, too "Wagnerian" for him, he says ... nowhere near enough schmaltz for Alan! :p

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's fabulous Tom - what a truly great birthday present. 4LS are in my top 3 orchestral (I say orchestral as the voice, imho, is like a Grand Duo with the orchestra, rather than solo/accompaniment) works and I've got - at last count - 6 recordings of it now.

Good to know the LPO were on top form - saw them a couple of years ago at the RFH doing Metamorphosen and Don Juan along with 4LS and it was a bit ropey in places to be honest.

My personal favourite 4LS is Jessye Norman's on Philips with the Leipzig Gewandhausorchester/Masur; some say that this is an overly rich, big-hearted rendition but I just love it. Was never a huge fan of the Janowitz, despite the beauty of her voice. Christine Brewer did them on a Prom a couple of years ago, which I enjoyed immensely.

The Count

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2011
Warrington
AKA
Phil
Happy belated birthday Tom. Sounds like you had a great night. I listened live on Radio 3 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Im also a fan of the Norman recording.

4LS is being performed at st David's hall in Cardiff this month. Also on the programme is Bruckner's 9th. Looking forward to that :)

DeCameron

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 29, 2009
Scotland
AKA
I do not like her Four Last Songs- she is associated with them because does them a lot. She stood in for Matila at the proms one year and her voice could best be described as a double decker bus down a country lane to quote Greenfield on Crespin. I've heard her sing at the Lincoln Centre many years ago. Matila herself is too tight sounding, Flemming is amazing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online