Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Offered for sale is my Garrard 401. Its not an early one, nor a recent one - somewhere in the middle..

This unit has had a very professional repaint courtesy of Falcoren - in gunmetal grey - and a complete refurbishment by my longtime HiFi mate Martin Ware (who was responsible for Monitor Gold Ten's TD150 (see Stuarts thread on this)). This turntable is therefore in very good working order and looks a picture. It has the Kokomo bearing mod. Martin does a lot of work for me on idlers and knows his way round them like an expert, cos he is one!

It is housed in a smart layered birch ply plinth of familiar appearance and has received 2 coats of yachting varnish. There are no visible marks or blemishes as it had little use. Its clearly been plinthed in readiness for a 12" arm.

The sale is to finance another turntable that is better suited to mono reproduction. This one is pictured with my mono Decca Gold that's fitted to a Temaard 12" arm (neither included in the sale) and as you can see the set up precludes the use of an additional arm. An additional arm is required for a full mono set up as that allows the user to use both the 1mm spherical stylus for early mono on one arm and a .7mm line contact stylus profile for later mono and reissues on t'other. The Temaard is intended as one of those arms and a Stealth 14" arm, made by Chrisg139, is the other.

I'm pricing the 401 in iits plinth @ £750 firm.

Collection preferred but there is the possibility of dropping this off on my travels, depending on location.

Pics courtesy of the tireless Brook to follow..

Jack NSM

Reactions: bencat

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That is a very fair price for a much sort after turntable I am sure this one is in the condition that most buyers would be looking for can not wait for the photos GLWS .

Last edited by a moderator:

JamieMcC

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2013
Isle of Wight
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
If only I had some extra space 😒 as it would probably go nicely with the Jelco 12" Silver melody tone arm that's been sat I which has been sat in a draw for around four years now patiently waiting to be used. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Speedracer

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2014
Ferndown
AKA
Brook
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
WsQyaS9m.jpg

KOtWbtRm.jpg

JRQOy61m.jpg

Reactions: Bazzer

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Brook - cool pics.

Forgot to mention the supplied platter mat is the vintage G.A Soundisc (heavy glass) that is rare as hen's teeth and does as good a job as any at damping that platter. Its included in the price.

Jack

GLB

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2015
Newquey Cornwall
AKA
Chris Schwar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just to add i am going to lurches Bakoff Sunday 20th June and can safely transport this anywhere on route all the way up to Cornwall

Reactions: Non-Smoking Man

montesquieu

Renaissance Wammer
Wammer
Mar 2, 2021
Sandhurst, UK
AKA
Tom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This + Westlower's SME 3012 and you have an absolute killer combo. Hmm I wonder where I could put it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles