Fuses. Anyone who has tried upgrades please.

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Synergistic Research Purple fuse.
1 amp streamer
2 amp DAC/pre
4 amp power amp.
2 amp phono pre

Three power supplies, one of which might justify a fuse. So five times £180. It would be an expensive business! If you were going to do this you’d have to aim to do it anywhere where there may be a benefit. The cost is prohibitive to all but the wealthiest of us which probably adds to the allure.

Reactions: m7rso

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Incidentally, to answer the OP, I have some silver-plated and cryo-treated Bussman fuses here. I didn't buy them, they were kindly given to me. I've actually used three of them, for the simple reason that they're 3A, which is ideal for various bits here. I can confirm that whilst I may well be deaf and my system incapable of enough 'resolution', there is bugger-all difference between them and ordinary B&Q ones.

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
<Serious reply>

Do you know of any manufacturer of 'audiophile' fuses that provides evidence of compliance with the relevant UK safety standard? I can't quickly see anything on the Synergistic Research website to suggest this is the case for example.
https://www.analogueseduction.net/fuses/amr-audiophile-gold-hi-fi-fuse-13a-uk-mains-plug.html Approval: UL SA PSE CE CCC

https://www.analogueseduction.net/fuses/connected-fidelity-cf-mains-fuses-box-of-3.html Full British Standard approval

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Of course you realise we in Brittain have double the dilemma. We have fused mains plugs in the U.K. I don’t know of any other nation that has that stipulation. I’ve even received a 3 pin U.K. pattern cable out of Hong Kong(?) which was fuse less.

Reactions: m7rso

CageyH

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2014
Toulouse, France
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have never felt the need to blow my hard earned cash on a fuse.

As the famous philosopher, Confusecius, once said "If you can not measure it, you can not improve it."

So what does a “Foo”se do that a standard fuse does not?

Warning bells start to sound when you read some of the FAQs.

Q: Are fuses directional?

A: Yes, fuses are directional. Electricity should flow from the left to the right when you view the fuse. If you do not know the direction of flow you should listen to the fuse inserted in both directions. One direction will sound more detailed. This is the correct way.

Q: Do fuses have a burn in period?

A: Yes, most products have a settling in period. The first 200-300 hours of use are the most crucial.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.