Gato DIA 250S NPM

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Before i go any further i have to say that given the fact its taken me so long to plug the qutest in says a lots for the dac in the amp imo. I fully appreciate that everyone will have different opinions so i can only say more me, my ears, my rig and my room.

I should also say i previously used a  chord dac and bought the qutest to replace it. Its a fantastic dac made better again imo with an lps hanging off, againviews may differ.

But its going to get a got run out, thats for sure

Rob
The Gato DAC, I believe, is quite musically engaging - and maybe the Chord is possibly cleaner and more detailed?

rivendell

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 11, 2014
Scotland
AKA
Robert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Linn Akurate 
Well here goes

Ive taken the qutest back out and am listening to the amps internal dac again.

The sound with the Qutest i found was way brighter on the top end, not in a good way, bordering on kinda clinical and it cancelled out the warmish edge to the sound of the amp

I defo think over a whole nights listening i would run outof steam with it.

I have to be honest here,  im left scracthing my head with this as i adored the qutest with vavles, please dont get me wrong it has lots of detail, but then ive found this with the internal gato dac, its just i know using the Qutest would eventually start to grate on me.

I cant really believe im saying this, but your ears only tell you what hear and id say overall for me, in my system i could listen to the amp/dac all day long and not get weary. 

I couldnt honestly say that with the qutest in place.

Rob

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well here goes

Ive taken the qutest back out and am listening to the amps internal dac again.

The sound with the Qutest i found was way brighter on the top end, not in a good way, bordering on kinda clinical and it cancelled out the warmish edge to the sound of the amp

I defo think over a whole nights listening i would run outof steam with it.

I have to be honest here,  im left scracthing my head with this as i adored the qutest with vavles, please dont get me wrong it has lots of detail, but then ive found this with the internal gato dac, its just i know using the Qutest would eventually start to grate on me.

I cant really believe im saying this, but your ears only tell you what hear and id say overall for me, in my system i could listen to the amp/dac all day long and not get weary. 

I couldnt honestly say that with the qutest in place.

Rob
IME. System synergy makes or breaks the sound you get.

The forward, incisive edge of the Chord DAC worked well to your ears, as it gave more "bite" to the Valves. Things can change when you use sold state, which already has clean detail....and when combined with your Focals, is simply too much. Now if you had Harbeth, the Chord would likely work nicely.

I never got on with the older Chord DACs for the reason you mentioned ie. DAC 64 and 76

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DomT

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
With Focals in the chain this is not a surprise. That you like the internal dac with them sounds like a great result. Had to had Harbeth you may have preferred the QuTest.

If you are able to can you tell me a little more please about the differences between the QuTest and internal DAC. 

Thanks

rivendell

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 11, 2014
Scotland
AKA
Robert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
To be honest cnoevil kinda nailed it with his previous comments, after a good few hours listening last night to the qutest and the Gato i was struggling with the sound, 

Bags of detail and it seemed to bring the mid range more forward, but it just didnt gel like the sound produced using the Gato dac. It just seemed over bright if that makes sense.

Ive been using the Qutest for a while with an integrated valve amp, i was so impressed with the original chord dac (the 2 qute) i had bought that when Qutest was launched i jumped at it. Ran it for a few days and just feel in love with it.

It a strange old world indeed, same dac , speakers , cables etc but drop the Gato into the mix and it changed everything. The sound produced by the Gato on its own is just an utter joy to listen too, no hard edges, nothing brittle or sharp no lack of bass, far from it, as i previously stated i had to turn the focal sub i have down a notch.

It doesnt matter what ive played and im really putting it through its paces it just takes everything, with a condifent ease producing a sound for me i could live with for a long long time to come.

I cant give it anymore gushing praise than that. I bought the Amp used, contacted Gato and theyve given me a 3 year extended warranty, come on who even does that nowadays. I consider it one of the best used components ive ever bought, and ive been lucky to have some nice gear over the years.

When i added an external LPS to the Qutest its lifted its performance up another level, its a fantastic dac, but sadly isnt geling with my system so ive made the decisionto sell it.

If you had asked me if i would consider doing that 6 months ago i would have said never.

But then i didnt ever think id be lucky enough to getmy hands on a Gato.

So one box solution, 😊 

No more tinkering with interconnects, power supplies etc etc, switch it on sit back and grin for an evening, what else can i  say.

Hope that helps

Rob

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
To be honest cnoevil kinda nailed it with his previous comments, after a good few hours listening last night to the qutest and the Gato i was struggling with the sound, 

Bags of detail and it seemed to bring the mid range more forward, but it just didnt gel like the sound produced using the Gato dac. It just seemed over bright if that makes sense.

Ive been using the Qutest for a while with an integrated valve amp, i was so impressed with the original chord dac (the 2 qute) i had bought that when Qutest was launched i jumped at it. Ran it for a few days and just feel in love with it.

It a strange old world indeed, same dac , speakers , cables etc but drop the Gato into the mix and it changed everything. The sound produced by the Gato on its own is just an utter joy to listen too, no hard edges, nothing brittle or sharp no lack of bass, far from it, as i previously stated i had to turn the focal sub i have down a notch.

It doesnt matter what ive played and im really putting it through its paces it just takes everything, with a condifent ease producing a sound for me i could live with for a long long time to come.

I cant give it anymore gushing praise than that. I bought the Amp used, contacted Gato and theyve given me a 3 year extended warranty, come on who even does that nowadays. I consider it one of the best used components ive ever bought, and ive been lucky to have some nice gear over the years.

When i added an external LPS to the Qutest its lifted its performance up another level, its a fantastic dac, but sadly isnt geling with my system so ive made the decisionto sell it.

If you had asked me if i would consider doing that 6 months ago i would have said never.

So one box solution, 😊 

No more tinkering with interconnects, power supplies etc etc, switch it on sit back and grin for an evening, what else can i  say.

Hope that helps

Rob
Very helpful many thanks! 

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes

So one box solution, 😊 

Hope that helps

Rob
Pah! Call yourself an Audiophile with the comfy, convenient easy to use ' one box solution.' :eek:ff: :p :)

• Haha
Reactions: Lurch

rivendell

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 11, 2014
Scotland
AKA
Robert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As a seperate and aside to this thread as i dont wanna get into trouble for posting in the wrong place 

Can i put my now not required Qutest, LPS and Interconnect cable up for sale on the classified section before it goes to that eBay place?

• Upvote
Reactions: DomT

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As a seperate and aside to this thread as i dont wanna get into trouble for posting in the wrong place 

Can i put my now not required Qutest, LPS and Interconnect cable up for sale on the classified section before it goes to that eBay place?
Good idea, as no fees here.  Here are the very few requirements...

rivendell

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 11, 2014
Scotland
AKA
Robert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Apolgies to all,  i wasnt sure if i hadnt posted enough to sell used gear so i put it on eBay

Chord Qutest MCRU LPS and 3m RFC interconnects, sold.

Anyway, the Gato with my focal speakers has been a utter eye opener, then one on of my mates said, OK Boab your now screwed !!!

One box solution, no need for cable upgrading etc etc, you will have to find another hobby

It took me a week to put phase 2 into action and well if your going to do it, DO IT

So a pair of Townshend Seismic bars were sourced,purchased and the result

OMG, just staggering

I honestly cant get my head round what im listening too.

I know many will laugh,  probably, maybe, but bloody nora this is just superb.

Its a terrible thing tos ay but im working flexi furlough, whichfrankly is just as well as i got thesethings on monday, set them up andthe earliest ive got to bed is 3am. 

This is honestly my end game system as im 60 this year, i need to think off my hearing rolling off,EH! but bloody hell the sound is just Ace.

Reactions: Jules_S and CnoEvil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles