Gig reviews

E

earl of sodbury

GML wrote:

Alright I'll start,Sept 1998, saw Buddy Guy at BB Kings night club Beale St Memphis. What a gig, he even plugged a long lead into his guitar and played in the street for the benefit of those that couldn't get in. A fantastic experience.
Awesome! Saw him last year in Shepherd's Bush Empire - he pulled a similar stunt playing through the crowd. Christ he is one hell of an entertainer. Full on!

[really must check this thread more often...
71_71.gif.3e6d891ee0cc25b2acfe143a79a91cc1.gif
]

churz, eofs

Hawk

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Herts, United Kingdo
Bracko wrote:

Went to see Faithless at Alexandra Palace in April.  One word AWESOME!  If you've still got the energy/ability to go to a gig like that then do it.  They really mixed it up too, so there was some nice little chill out songs (So you could get your breath back) and then they would steadily whip the audience into a frenzy.
Seconded:cool: Faithless are awesome live, they pulled off one of the best Glasto performances ive experienced a couple of years ago

Hawk

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
De La Soul:cool:
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif
:cool:, then Courtney Pine:cool:
, then Lisa Ekdahl:cool:at the Jazz Cafe.

Roy Ayres at Ronny Scott's.
:cool:

Prince (the Nude Tour and Love Sexy Tour) at Wembly Arena

Madonna - The Girly Show Tour at Wembly...

Worked as a steward at Wembley Arena when doing A levels (1990). Saw, hmm, Phil Collins and Chris Rea... :Not Sure:

Saw Jamiroquai at Knebworth. :Not Sure:

Every summer there's a free jazz festival in Ealing which goes on for about a week. Most of the time the weather is excellent and we just end up chilling and listening to some, mostly, very good jazz...

Some of the very best gigs involve unknown artists in underground and 'intimate' venues if only because of the atmosphere and the often fuzzy memory of having had a great night out.

I heard a busker singing a few Jeff Buckley numbers down by Ashton Lane (Glaswegians will know this place well I'm sure) last summer. Very decent renditions of Lilac Wine and hallelujah...

chezi61

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Fife , Scotland.
Hawk wrote:

Bracko wrote:
Went to see Faithless at Alexandra Palace in April. One word AWESOME! If you've still got the energy/ability to go to a gig like that then do it. They really mixed it up too, so there was some nice little chill out songs (So you could get your breath back) and then they would steadily whip the audience into a frenzy.
Seconded:cool: Faithless are awesome live, they pulled off one of the best Glasto performances ive experienced a couple of years ago

Hawk
Saw them last year at T in the Park , Brilliant ,but WTF a mainstage slot at teatime.
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

Organizers need shot for that.

GO SEE KASABIAN , without a doubt the best live band I've ever seen , and I've seen a few. The drummers workrate is something to behold.
crazy_pilot.gif.c313d97f4d9ddf9c49c568cf60659106.gif

Not to forget the rest of the band. Brimming with confidence at the mo. Hope they've not peaked.

chezi.

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hawk wrote:

hifiwigwam wrote:
The best gig I ever saw was Pulp at Glastonbury 1995. I have always said it and was veru pleased to hear John peel once name that gig as the best he ever saw. Oasis on the same bill that year rocked too.
I was there that year too! in fact that was my first glasto and ive not missed one since... Pulps live shows are always something special be it large or small venues..
Good man, Jarvis has an amazing presence on stage.

Hawk

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Herts, United Kingdo
chezi61 wrote:

GO SEE KASABIAN , without a doubt the best live band I've ever seen , and I've seen a few. The drummers workrate is something to behold.
crazy_pilot.gif.c313d97f4d9ddf9c49c568cf60659106.gif

Not to forget the rest of the band. Brimming with confidence at the mo. Hope they've not peaked.

chezi.
I was gutted i missed them at Glasto
sad.png
next time..

chezi61

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Fife , Scotland.
Get Loaded. Happy Mondays , The Farm etc etc.Braehead Arena Glasgow.

I'm very disappointed over this whole event but there were a few stand out moments.

First off the gig consisted of 4 stages Main stage opened up with Bez's Band , can't remember the name , tried like a bear to get the crowd going but he really should leave the mic alone , cannot sing worth a f*** but his girlfriend could chant a bit. Good attempt tho.
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif

The Farm were actually quite impressive rattling of the likes of Groovy Train and the anthemic Altogether Now.
smile.png

Happy Mondays :shock:try as he did Shaun Ryder is obviously past his sell by date , the band were tight the backing vocalists were awsome but Ryder looked and sounded somewhat detached from the rest of the band and the fuckin sound engineer must have a bass fixation the sound was terrible.
sad.png
:(

During sound checks :pand set changes the crowd were spun some tunes by Mani , Clint Boon et al but a big BOO to Alan McGee for an Oasis track followed by at least 3 Beatles tracks.

Upstairs from this was another Dj spinning Northern Soul all night , so we gave that a miss.

Dance tent , self explanitary really loads of "eccied up" topless dudes with glow sticks. Some bangin tunes tho.
tease.gif.a6e550ff9c07be38d7cbd4260be35dc9.gif

Ska tent , this was a bit of a revelation some cool blue beat but a BIG:^to RUDE BOYNeville Staples (Specials ) for a flawless set including A Message to you,Rudi. Rat race and an invite for Terry Hall to help out with the magnificent Gangsters. That song made my night.

On the whole tho I felt ripped off bet the promoter's rubbin he's hands tho.

And to the fuckin twat that decided the bar price of £10 for 3 drink tokens and a choice of Fosters lager 330ml , any colour of WKD you wanted , 2 shots of Aftershock or a 35ml measure of spirit and a dash. NAE FUCKIN CIDER just as well I got 2litres of Merrydown out Sainsbury's then , innit? (I hope whoever was responsible for the bar's arsehole heals over and drowns in his own shit.)

Here's hoping the Pixies at Meadowbank this avo is a bit better , even tho it's hammering down with rain.
biggrin.png

chezi.

chezi61

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Fife , Scotland.
Pixies , Meadowbank Stadium , Edinburgh.

A complete contrast from the previous night , gone are the amphetemine and ecstacy "chavs" of Happy Mondays gig , and in with the dope smoking students and goths.

First up were My Latest Novel , never heard them before but definately not a good choice of opening band , quite "folky" and IMO boring.

Next up Teenage Fanclub , excellent set with an even mixture of old and new songs.

Very crowd pleasing stuff , you just stood grinning thru the little digs that were aimed at...........

Idlewild , not really my cup of tea but I did find myself swaying and foot tapping to quite a few songs. Very impressed by their performance.

The Pixies , totally awsome great sound and lighting and a hit laden set Gouge , Here comes your man , Hey and the amazing Debaser etc etc.

Reforming last year after a split of almost 13 yearwas a good move by the band , I saw them last year at T in the Park and thought they performed well but after another year the band have really found their feet. BRILLIANT.
biggrin.png
:D:D

I'd also like to take the opportunity to thank Tennants for sponsoring these kind of music events in Scotland and for supplying copious amounts of apple flavoured alcoholic beverage.
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif
:^
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

chezi.

Hawk

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Herts, United Kingdo
Sounds like part two was pretty good... The fuckwhits that forgot the cider on the first day should be shot:shock:
I think you are within your rights to as for a refund.. IMO:D

Nice one

Hawk

pjdowns

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 28, 2005
Berkshire, England
AKA
Paul
I went to see Mark Knopfler @ The Brighton Centre in May this year.

Although it was very good he did manage to kill So Far Away from the Dire Straits days. Not sure why, but it just didn't sound right.

Paul.

smallholeinthemiddle

Wammer
New Wammer
Sep 6, 2005
, ,
:shock:Saw Rammstein 4-5 weeks ago[Glasgow S.E.C.C,{shame about the venue,I know!}],still enjoyed it though,the Sat.night before I flew to Turkey for a fortnight's holiday!Looking forward to Budgie a week this Friday;Renfrew Ferry:D

"Breadfan,open up you'r mind"....ya dancer!

chezi61

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Fife , Scotland.
smallholeinthemiddle wrote:

:shock:Saw Rammstein 4-5 weeks ago[Glasgow S.E.C.C,{shame about the venue,I know!}]
I was at the SECC earlier this year (Beastie Boys) and to be honest they have really bucked their ideas up soundwise , with the use of heavy curtains to dampen the sound. It used to be like standing in a tin box.
wub.png

Now if they sorted out the bar , fuckin £3 for a bottle of Magners and the bar shuts at 10.00pm , WTF.

That's why Barrowland is the BEST.

chezi.

P

purplepleaser

Hi, Going watching Elbow tonight at the Ritz in Manchester . I will post a review if I can see the keyboard later.

P

purplepleaser

Well what can I say but bloody great. This was the first time that I have seen Elbow in concert. The venue is intimate,small. I was front row left of stage stood in front of the bass player. Great view. The band played very tight, never missed a note and you could make out every word. The set list was a mixture of old and new songs. Fugitive motel was amazing. The new songs that they played seem more upbeat than those on cast of thousands more akin to asleep. I say to anyone go and watch them live as they sound like the cd not many other bands do. Even the rain before and after the gig did not dampen the spirits.

lee:D:D:D

wow and flutter

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
Harrow, , United Kin
AKA
Mark
Err, my most recent "gig" was seeing (and hearing) Sir Willard White last Friday night!

I hate opera, don't like classical singers, but went to hear him sing a tribute to Paul Robeson at my local arts centre and he was awesome.

Not ony was his singing very powerful (Bass Baritone) or to my ears, very deep voice, but the songs, which were my main reason for going, were deliveredimpeccably.

I'm now looking to see if he has recorded this tribute, although I suspect if so it will be CD only
wub.png

Highly recommended as a different night out, just don't trip over the groupies' bath chairs.

W&F

Sid and Coke

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 3, 2005
nr St Andrews, Fife,
Probably my most memorable gig experience was seeing the Cult at St Austell Coleseum in Cornwall, about 1987 on the Electric tour ( Balam and the Angel supporting) , Billy Duffy got pissed off at people throwing things and gobbing at him. He took off his guitar twice to dive into the crowd to sort peole out, the second time battering some poor skinheads face into pulp, which required the security guys to actually carry him ( the skin) away
biggrin.png

The worst concert i ever went to was Rush on the Roll the Bones tour in about 1991/2. I saw them at Wembley Arena and have to say that although i love their music and have many of their albums , the live experience wasn't very exiting . At one stage some stiff sitting behind me asked if i could sit down as he could see !!

Iron Maiden are always good for a show, I've seen them about 5 times now over the years first in about 1982/3 at Wolverhampton Civic hall last time was in 1995 at Barrowlands Ballroom Glasgow with Blaze on vox. Skid Row outplayed them at Mosnsters of rock Donington in 1992 though
smile.png

Going to try and pencil in Stiff Little Fingers at Barrowlands next St Patricks night 2006 . I've seen Fingers a few times , but only once at the St Pat's night Barra's, in 1996, the amosphere is usually electric and the pubs and clubs in the area are brimming with Micks, wearing green plastic lepracourn hats.
74_74.gif.e35fe9be22561407fdbfee747b876f81.gif

Next definate concert for me is Oasis on 12 December at Aberdeen Conference centre, looking forward to it as I've heard it is a really small venue and everyone is fairly close to the stage. Had to get my tickets of a scumbag tout though and paid well over the odds for two standing tickets. In fact I've not actually got the tickets yetbut have paid for them via e-bay/paypal- hmm bit scary but we'll see...

Mister R

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 24, 2005
London, , United Kin
Saw Faithless at Christmas lastr year at Brixton, simply brilliant live and, lucky me, have tickets to see them there again in November, can't wait!!

My mate saw Kasabian live in Vancouver 2 months ago and said they were awesome. Would love to see Kaiser Chiefs as they looked good at Glasto this year. ASnyone seen them?

I went to Bacardi live in Clapham common this year and witnessed Norman Jay and Joey Negro mix up a frenzied gem in the tent all afternoon! Kept me away from Oakenfold and Jamiroquai on the main stage, which I wasn't bothered with TBH.

All good!!

Cheers...

Iain

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.