Good speaker stands

Matt J

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 7, 2006
Not Derbyshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I need some speaker stands for a pair of spendor S3/5se's, its the first pair of standmounts I've had so what do I need to bare in mind for height etc? listening room isnt the biggest but its big enough
wink.png

I plan on sitting them on a pair of small ish concreteslabs with either or both a cork tile and a bit of carpet to match the room, anything else i should consider?

All I seem to do is ask questions, I'd offer any help on other peoples threads but I dont know owt :raoflmfao:
icon_redface.gif.eb51a1f92a0314cdfc14dd3cb4473da1.gif

Matt.

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There are lots. Partington have a good reputation, but are quite pricey. Target at the other end of the cost equation are also good and I have not heard HUGE differences between the two, so I guess it depends how fussy you are and if you can hear / are prepared to pay for, the differences? Sand or lead shot filling is often advocated to make the stand more inert and is a good thing IMO. If you have bouncy floorboards, try the stands coupled to these via spikes first, with the speakers blu-tacked to the stands (three small pea sized bits in a triangle under each speaker. If the bass is still a bit 'present' try concrete slabs under the stands. Somethimes however, moving the speaks away from the corners is more effective at reducing bass (but not always at the frequency where you wanted it to go!). Good luck:)

G

dreadnoughts.

but i must say the best stands i have ever had were tripod type stands they were fantastic sounding stands and super ridged. 3 legs are better than one, just look at tripods for cameras. they are very stable.

technobear

Ursine Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2005
Glastonbury, UK
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Target MR60 and MR70 are great and very good value for money. Easy to set up and lock in place. Very heavy and solid when sand filled.

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I recently bought a new pair of Target HR60s and posted a brief review here:

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum7/6552.html

I will get around to taking some photos and posting them up because they look very smart and go very well with my standmounts. I can thoroughly recommend them. Also as mentioned, Partington are good and a cheaper model of theirs is the Ansa 60 which costs £99 per pair. This stand won the HFC Gold Award for best speaker stand under £100 in their 2005 awards.

www.partingtonandco.co.uk

The ideal height to go for is usually 60cm and if your floor is solid, use the supplied floor spikes.

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
Matt J wrote:

Thanks a lot peeps, will have a look at the ones mentioned
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif
Also worth asking Spendor what they used when testing your speakers, stand has to put tweeter to ear level when your in your normal listening chair ect ect

Matt J

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 7, 2006
Not Derbyshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Davewhityetagain wrote:

Matt J wrote:
Thanks a lot peeps, will have a look at the ones mentioned
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif
Also worth asking Spendor what they used when testing your speakers, stand has to put tweeter to ear level when your in your normal listening chair ect ect
Yeah I wondered about height, thanks for reminding me.

Any links as to where the Target stands can be bought? they look spot on!

stefanher

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 17, 2006
Lincs, , United King
AKA
Stefan
Mana! Mana! They're magical for small floorstanders. I'll never forget the difference they made when I still had my LP12 & Castle Chesters. Don't even know if they still make them. Alternatively you could take note of the guy who wrote to Hi Fi News & used concrete blocks & Blu-Tack underneath thus eliminating the space between the speakers & the slabs & swore by them. I'd love to hear what other people say but I can't try this out- I have 57's.

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
Custom Design: I liked the sound, but not the appearance, of their Reference jobbies under my ProAcs - some of their cheaper ones have been well received in some of the hi-fi press FWIW; also Kudos, now distributed by Neat.

Boxer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.