Clean gloves hide dirty hands
Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Thinking of getting a GPS to help with training, now back in the saddle.

Not planning on doing really heavy analysis of workout at the moment (i.e power/Heart Rate/Cadence), but I suppose having ANT+ support will not hurt if I change my mind in the future

Just looking for basics of Avg speed, elevation, trip time to see how I'm fairing, and upload to Strava or the likes for reference.

Keep switching between something basic like the Cateye Stealth 10 or 50 (a lot cheaper around £80 - £100) or the much more advanced Garmin 510 (£200), which is suppose to have class leading satellite tracking due to tracking both GPS and GLONASS

Any expericences on either appreciated?

Other options to recommend??

The Garmin 810 looks nice with the mapping feature, but too expensive, the new Garmin tourer seems flakey with its mappings.

Much thanks

Testy

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
Testy, avoid Bryton whatever you do I know of 2 guys with them and they lose GPS signal easily. None of the Garmin users I know lose a signal. I have been using apps till now on my Blackberry (GPSMeter) and Nokia (Sportstracker) but will end up going for a Garmin 200 in the Jan sales I think.....mind you with prices like this .....:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-edge-200-gps-cycle-computer/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&utm_source=pla&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&kpid=5360454903

ClassikFan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Garmin 510 is good, I have had one since my 500 started playing up back in the summer. great customer service from distributor allowed me to upgrade for the difference.

def

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 7, 2008
Great Missenden
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I was thinking I'd get one but once I uploaded Strava to my ph I found I could use it as effectively as I need to track progress. I don't ride with a computer but if you've already one that gives you live info on speed etc the only bit you'd be missing is the route finding, if that's not important the ph app might be worth trying first.

Testure

Clean gloves hide dirty hands
Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Unfortunetly Strava, is not currently available for my Windows Phone. Seems Sportstracker has an app though, so will give that a go, though rather have a dedicated device, so don't drain the battery on my phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.