Wammer
May 10, 2006
Dartford
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Anyone using one of these ?

I'm currently using an MF X-LPSv3(OL Illustrious,Lyra Argo),which sounds fine to me.

However,it appears that G Slee's phono stages get glowing reports,on here and elsewhere.

Should I leave well alone(again the MF sounds fine) or consider the above?

Anyone familiar with both?

Emma Royd

Super Wammer Plus
Wammer
May 10, 2006
Dartford
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As I'm using a MF 3.2 PRE/POWER combo would the MF phono stage be a better match than the Slee?

Dannish

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Basingstoke, , Unite
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Don' know about the MF gear or the "3" but i can say the "SE" is better than the onboard phono in my 8000C. Can you borrow one?

G

I found the era gold V and the gram amp 2 both to be very very good, snapper brought his whest ps over to my place when I had vinyl, and with my cart (shure v15 vmxr MM) there was no difference between slee and whest, the only drawback I can see is the slee's are usually MM only, and need a headamp to use MC, that said slee's elevator head amp is very well received too, but this with era gold is same price as whest or thereabouts.

Dunno if the newer gram amp 3 would be a huge step, as haven't heard your stage, but I guess like anything else it may not be that much better, my advice would be not to worry, and if you can get a chance to borrow a slee try it, but if I were you i'd wait till I could affrd summat like the whest and buy a s/hand one for the price of a top spec dino.

G

andi wrote:

well that changes things a bit
biggrin.png
not before time i may add it may not be any better than a GA2/SE given it's extra complexity, and still limited to one type of cart, as I said if it was me i'd wait, unless you really unhappy with your MF one.

Emma Royd

Super Wammer Plus
Wammer
May 10, 2006
Dartford
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
analoguekid wrote:

I found the era gold V and the gram amp 2 both to be very very good, snapper brought his whest ps over to my place when I had vinyl, and with my cart (shure v15 vmxr MM) there was no difference between slee and whest, the only drawback I can see is the slee's are usually MM only, and need a headamp to use MC, that said slee's elevator head amp is very well received too, but this with era gold is same price as whest or thereabouts.Dunno if the newer gram amp 3 would be a huge step, as haven't heard your stage, but I guess like anything else it may not be that much better, my advice would be not to worry, and if you can get a chance to borrow a slee try it, but if I were you i'd wait till I could affrd summat like the whest and buy a s/hand one for the price of a top spec dino.
The fanfare is for low output MC's only AK,so should suit my Argo.

The slight problem I've got is that the MF is only a couple of months old,and once again sounds fine to me.1st p/s I've had,one of the first times I did'nt do a little research.

G

Emma Royd wrote:

The slight problem I've got is that the MF is only a couple of months old,and once again sounds fine to me.1st p/s I've had,one of the first times I did'nt do a little research.
then worry ye not, if at a later date you hear something better, then get that, too many times we are swayed by opnion and reviews on the net, forgetting that superlatives and any gains are subjective, and whats a large improvement to one chap, may be miniscule to you. Enjoy your MF stage
biggrin.png

Emma Royd

Super Wammer Plus
Wammer
May 10, 2006
Dartford
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You'll probably right AK,Griffos coming over on Tuesday all being well,he has has a very similair t/t set up to me.

Be interesting to hear what he thinks.

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
This is probably of no help, but I've just bought a Slee Gram Amp 2 Communicator (MM jobbie @ £135 from Needles & Spins), which, on first impressions, is at least as good as the £200 phono stage in my Expo 3010. The use of an interconnect which costs nearky the same may also have some bearing, however...

Slightly irrelevant Boxer

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
Emma Royd wrote:

Anyone using one of these ?I'm currently using an MF X-LPSv3(OL Illustrious,Lyra Argo),which sounds fine to me.

However,it appears that G Slee's phono stages get glowing reports,on here and elsewhere.

Had the G Slee 2 SE very nice, it does need the upgraded power supply to sound its best, and some say if your spending that much on a power supply, you should spend more on your phono stage (Ant) I think

G

Davewhityetagain wrote:

Emma Royd wrote:
Anyone using one of these ?I'm currently using an MF X-LPSv3(OL Illustrious,Lyra Argo),which sounds fine to me.

Had the G Slee 2 SE very nice, it does need the upgraded power supply to sound its best, and some say if your spending that much on a power supply, you should spend more on your phono stage (Ant) I think
if your gonna go to that expense, it would make more sense to get an era gold V or it's equivelent, as these came with the upgraded psu

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
analoguekid wrote:

Davewhityetagain wrote:
Emma Royd wrote:

if your gonna go to that expense, it would make more sense to get an era gold V or it's equivelent, as these came with the upgraded psu
I only tried it with other power supply because when I bought G Slee headphone amplifier it came with the other power supply

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.