plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Has anyone heard the combo? 

It's only a hypothetical question, as I'm more than happy with my PMCs. Perhaps, though, in the future...

The Tucana, although, incredibly rhythmic, is also a ballsy amp - really combines a solid sound stage with amazing agility.

Any thoughts?

Cheers, PP.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

If the accepted wisdom of harbeth is true then it’s not an all round sound but one thats concentrated on the midrange. That’s my impression of them at shows. In other words very good for acoustic and classical but not so good for rock and electronic. So it might not be an all rounder. That said, if it does sound really well in one area, why not! Pmcs tend to be all rounders though. 

If you like your PMCs, not sure why you want to change?. But on the combo it’s really for you to decide because you can’t really get people to say how a source, amp and speakers interact as often people have no knowledge of one brand in a system and and the model in the range, as they’ve not tried it at home. So when you get wisdom of brands X , X and X wouldn’t be something I could live with , you tend to find they have often never even heard the particular brands or at least the relevant models in the brand, let alone what the combinations will then be like with other brands. It’s always the combo too. They may probably have heard brand x with something else but how they then piece that together to come up with what can likely work. You can’t. We discussed this at my mini bake off yesterday. This is before they have considered preference. Too many variables to predict.

The best thing really is to try and not go with myths or prejudices about brand x is sharp etc, as they are very often untrue. Listen yourself. We saw little difference yesterday to a ‘smooth’ border patrol dac and a chord dac with a linear psu, same price, but one dac is reputed to be sharp and the other smooth. You could apply same thinking with speaker myths. Most hifi is pretty balanced too.

I can say the more recent pmcs are better than lots of older ones imho (more resolving) so look there definitely, but how they work with your leema i wouldn’t know as I’ve not tried. If it’s a neutral amplifier it’s likely to work with loads of speakers and a lot comes down to preference. Sorry this isn’t the usual ‘line’ but I think it’s true, as trying to read between the lines of this stuff is usually impossible.

Last edited:

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Quest

Don't want to change my PMCs. I did say "It's only a hypothetical question". However, at some point I will fancy a change. Who knows when that'll be?

@PuritéAudio That's trickier than normal, as there's no Harbeth stockists near me.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Quest

Don't want to change my PMCs. I did say "It's only a hypothetical question". However, at some point I will fancy a change. Who knows when that'll be?

@PuritéAudio That's trickier than normal, as there's no Harbeth stockists near me.
There is one in Guildford. Or they can come to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

If you ever want to bring your amp over to me @plasticpenguin and try it out on my pmcs and a range of other kit etc, you are more than welcome.

We might too be able to get a pair of harbeths as their factory in Lindfield is literally half a mile from where I live. 

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
spent the morning having a lovely listen to the harbeth shl5 plus anniversary with lavardin amp. very very transparent and big sense of air . really nice texture , in fact superb texture . i would be buying one most certainly if i started out again . 

Reactions: CnoEvil

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Imo it's a bit of a myth that Harbeth are only good for acoustic and classical music... certainly with the larger models SHL5+ 30.2 40.2 Electronic and rock sound superb.

Mac
Mac - where's the myth or story come from? I know a lot of people say Sonus Faber are 'acoustic orientated', but not heard that about Harbeth.

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Mac - where's the myth or story come from? I know a lot of people say Sonus Faber are 'acoustic orientated', but not heard that about Harbeth.
Mac will of course answer for himself.

IME. To some degree, there is some truth to the myth.

Every speaker is a compromise. I think the problem comes when absolutes are bandied about. The strength of Harbeth lies in their naturalness and midrange. They excel with voices and acoustic instruments...but they are not as forward and exciting sounding as speakers that have a more modern construction.

Does this mean that they are only good for this sort of music - No it doesn't.....But there are imo speakers that sound more suitable for forceful electronic music and drum and bass etc....but they don't sound as glorious, playing on Harbeth's pitch.

It was this exact conundrum that I had, when comparing Kef Ref 3 and Monitor 40.2. I went with the speaker that made me weep with emotion, rather than the one that gave me a shot of Adrenalin and made me want to dance. I could live with either....but a lot of my diet plays to the strength of the Harbeths. 

ChemMan

ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
spent the morning having a lovely listen to the harbeth shl5 plus anniversary with lavardin amp. very very transparent and big sense of air . really nice texture , in fact superb texture . i would be buying one most certainly if i started out again . 
I don't know anything about Lavardin, but for the sake of comparison could you briefly comment on what you heard this morning in relation to what @whitehart Mac had to say about rock/acoustic/jazz/classical on the Harbeth HL5+?  These are very much in my wheelhouse at the moment and I will be getting an in home demo within a few weeks.  

deggie

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 12, 2011
edge of birmingham
AKA
keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Thanks phil , nice to have your company for a few hours listening to tunes, as you know they are only six weeks old so still running them in ….ive had harbee fives before , about ten years ago …..but these are very different indeed,...much more open and inviting with their  beautiful midrange , improved bass and airy top end,...so spacious in the presentation, as you said electraostatic …. nows the quandry do I sell my much loved ...Mowgan Mabons …...I hate choices , I love both , but you know why the fives tug at my heart strings,..... its a personal thing , as only phil knows...… the lavardin is a great match for them aswell.

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Mac will of course answer for himself.

IME. To some degree, there is some truth to the myth.

Every speaker is a compromise. I think the problem comes when absolutes are bandied about. The strength of Harbeth lies in their naturalness and midrange. They excel with voices and acoustic instruments...but they are not as forward and exciting sounding as speakers that have a more modern construction.

Does this mean that they are only good for this sort of music - No it doesn't.....But there are imo speakers that sound more suitable for forceful electronic music and drum and bass etc....but they don't sound as glorious, playing on Harbeth's pitch.

It was this exact conundrum that I had, when comparing Kef Ref 3 and Monitor 40.2. I went with the speaker that made me weep with emotion, rather than the one that gave me a shot of Adrenalin and made me want to dance. I could live with either....but a lot of my diet plays to the strength of the Harbeths. 
Aye.

ChemMan

ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
. nows the quandry do I sell my much loved ...Mowgan Mabons …...I hate choices , I love both , but you know why the fives tug at my heart strings,..... its a personal thing , as only phil knows...… the lavardin is a great match for them aswell.
Those are some nice words....Just from a curiosity and comparative standpoint, what range of music do you normally listen to in an average week?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles