Wammer
Wammer
Dec 15, 2005
Lakeside Wixams
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi i'm after a new set of decent headphones for use at work. they have to be closed back or i'll be bludgeoned to death by my colleagues.

i have a shortlist which currently consists of..

Ultrasone proline 750

dennon dh2000

and not much else.

i like the looks and ethos behind the ultrasones but they definitely seem to be a love 'em or loath 'em product.

so the questions...

anyone know of anywhere i can get to hear a pair of either of these headphones within 30 odd miles of milton keynes. don;t really want to go much further but could do i suppose.

also any other suggestions to go on the shortlist... no open or semi-open designs - under £200 quid, comfy to wear for hours on end and good for mainly fast electronica and a bit of industrial / rock. angry music makes me work faster.

ta muchly.

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
julian2002 wrote:

Hi i'm after a new set of decent headphones for use at work. they have to be closed back or i'll be bludgeoned to death by my colleagues.i have a shortlist which currently consists of..

Ultrasone proline 750

dennon dh2000

and not much else.

i like the looks and ethos behind the ultrasones but they definitely seem to be a love 'em or loath 'em product.

so the questions...

anyone know of anywhere i can get to hear a pair of either of these headphones within 30 odd miles of milton keynes. don;t really want to go much further but could do i suppose.

also any other suggestions to go on the shortlist... no open or semi-open designs - under £200 quid, comfy to wear for hours on end and good for mainly fast electronica and a bit of industrial / rock. angry music makes me work faster.

ta muchly.
I have a pair of AKG K270 (now seemingly replaced by the K272HD) Very happy with them, comfortable for long periods (10 hour flights are no problem) and provide decent sound reduction both in and out.

S.

mubeen1983

Wammer
New Wammer
Jun 29, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You should try AKG 271S? Satisfies all your criteria. I own one and its cracking value for money. Sounds superb, detailed and crisp clear. It appears to be bass shy at first but its because bass is not boomy and is very well defined. Its very comfortable and light too!

And its probably one of the VERY FEW closed back headphones which dont have any coloration in midrange due to resonance. It sounds like an open back headphone.

A

adamus

are you amplifying? if not the denons will be the way forward.

Geordie

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Newcastle Upon Tyne,
I didnt like the K271S.

I also didnt like the Proline 2500 (open version of the 750) - it had an artificial sound and muffled mids IMO.

Personally I would try and audition the Beyerdynamic DT150s as they are very underrated headphones, if you can live with the looks. I believe Sid & Coke has a pair (if he is on this forum not sure). Maybe ask him about them.

Also worth a try are the Beyerdynamic DT250 (get the 250 ohm version) or the Beyerdynamic DT770 (get the 80 ohm version). The latter have very big bass.

Personally I think Beyerdynamic make by far and away the best closed headphones for the money and you'll have quite a bit of change for coke and hookers.

A

adamus

dt770's have great bass..... if amplified.

if not they have loose bass.

julian2002

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 15, 2005
Lakeside Wixams
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
well i've tried a bunch of senheisers (px100, some mid range ones i can;t remember the names of and the 650's - although they were open back but i thought i'd give em a go anyway) and they all seem to have the same big bloaty bass. so theyare out.

i now need to find somewhere that doesn't just lob senn's at you when you ask for headphones.

don;t really want to buy blind and sell if i don;t like em but this does seem to be the way i'll have to do it.

is there a good headphone shop in the smoke somewhere or perhaps brum? where i can try some before i buy?

julian2002

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 15, 2005
Lakeside Wixams
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
well i did my usual thing and brainsnapped and bought something without listening to it first - mainly cos it seemed impossible to get a listen without buying.

my new headphones are therefore....

ultrasone pro 750

much to the probable disgust of the geordie :D

so far they've lived up to my expectations - they sound very different to the sennheisers and akg's i've tried. very fast, punchy, deep and controlled bass, and good separation. the top end is a little tizzy but nowhere near as bad as internet hyperbole would have you believe and i understand this eases with run in. it's also not quite as expansive as i was thinking but again this could be down to run in. i was expecting to hear very recessed mids but to my ears they are fine - vocals are clear and easy to pick out.

the main thing though is that they have got my foot tapping again wit the occasional head bob so they must be doing something right.

one thing - these are the 'updated' pro versions not the proline ones (and i got them for the price of the now discontinued prolines too). again the interwebz are rife with speculation about the changes and how they effect sound quality. ahh well i'm happy for now so now the wait for the savings to build up enough for a head amp....

julian2002

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 15, 2005
Lakeside Wixams
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
yeah they have the s-logic driver placement. to be honest i'm expecting it not to make too much difference but have experimented with placement a little and it makes a tiny difference but not night and day - i'm guessing it'll either loosen up with break in or be nothing more than a marketing gimmick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online