Wammer
Wammer
Mar 15, 2016
Brighton
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I got a new TV/Hifi unit and just set things up as well as also setting up my DVD surround system (a separate unit with subwoofer and it's own set of speakers).

All good until, whilst playing a record i flicked the switch on the extension lead for the subwoofer unit, there was a 'spike' and I immediately noticed the sound of the record changed (I hadn't turned the DVD on, just the subwoofer unit so no sound was being fed to it).

It appears that the (Rogers speakers) woofers are working but not the tweeters. Or has the 'spike' damaged the amp?

Argghhh!!!

• Sad
Reactions: JANDL100

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If it might be the amp, have you tried a reset? (a posh way of saying turn it off, leave it a minute and turn it on again).

It should be obvious if the tweeters aren't working?
In which case, whoops. :( You'll probably need a replacement pair.

Last edited:

Mightyquin

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 15, 2016
Brighton
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If it might be the amp, have you tried a reset? (a posh way of saying turn it off, leave it a minute and turn it on again).

It should be obvious if the tweeters aren't working?
In which case, whoops. :( You'll probably need a replacement pair.
Thanks. I tried that and now I'm wondering if I'm imagining things as the speakers are definitely working.

As I turned the other unit on (at the extension lead) there was a 'snap' I heard through the speakers and it immediately sounded like the treble was turned up (which I know sounds odd if I thought the tweeters were blown). I'm now sure that I'm having to turn the volume up higher on the amp than before when playing records, but again maybe I'm imaginng that.

I'm telling myself I've lost bass but I can't have can I?

Just to add, I have two extension leads running from a double socket, one with the hifi plugged in and the other is the TV/DVD, so there was no direct connection and the extensions are supposed to be surge protected.

I have moved things around a little which could also - perhaps - account for some change in sound. But I'm sure it changed with that 'snap'.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, all those symptoms could just be perfectly ordinary Audiophile Nervosa.
Once a doubt has been triggered in what passes for our minds, it can be very difficult to determine the reality.

Do you have a "better half" to ask their opinion?

Mightyquin

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 15, 2016
Brighton
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So, how does it sound today?
I've just listened again, played the same track on LP and CD and pleased to report that all is fine.

However, I don't think I was just hearing things as I also noticed that the left speaker dropped out when I swtiched inputs, until I tweaked the input selector, so I think coincidentally that's what happened yesterday.

Phew! Thanks for the reassurance.

Reactions: JANDL100

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles