Help with Tannoy Drivers

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looking for a bit of guidance for something I am thinking about looking at but not just now . I have recently done two projects with passive speakers converted to active (Monitor Audi and Kef 103 Reference) . In the most part this went well and did not task my technical and practical skills too much .

I am now considering trying something that will I know be a little harder. I was looking to keep my eye out for a decent pair of 12 " Tannoy Dual Concentric Speakers . Now in an ideal world I would be able to get a pair already mounted in a sealed unit but more likely to get a lower cost option of just the drivers.

Now Tannoy Dual Concentric Drivers look like they are single units but as I understand it they have a tweeter in the center of the Bass Driver so in fact are two way units with a crossover. What I want to do is use the MiniDSP DDRC24 to replace the crossover and make the speakers active. Then look for a DIY cabinet plan to construct for a sealed baffle design .

What I need to understand and hopefully I can get help with is are the Bass and Treble connected separately and is is easy to split the wiring so that it can be connected to a pier of Bi Wire posts on the rear of the cabinet ?

Also does anyone know of any current DIY designs that are sealed baffle that work with these drive units.

Any advice , abuse or even sympathy would be appreciated.

CliveG

Audiophile Oldie
Wammer
Jan 26, 2013
New Forest
AKA
Clive
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The tweeter and bass cone are wired separately. There is a 4 pin plug on the chassis of the driver which the crossover connects to.

• Upvote
Reactions: greybeard

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looking for a bit of guidance for something I am thinking about looking at but not just now . I have recently done two projects with passive speakers converted to active (Monitor Audi and Kef 103 Reference) . In the most part this went well and did not task my technical and practical skills too much .

I am now considering trying something that will I know be a little harder. I was looking to keep my eye out for a decent pair of 12 " Tannoy Dual Concentric Speakers . Now in an ideal world I would be able to get a pair already mounted in a sealed unit but more likely to get a lower cost option of just the drivers.

Now Tannoy Dual Concentric Drivers look like they are single units but as I understand it they have a tweeter in the center of the Bass Driver so in fact are two way units with a crossover. What I want to do is use the MiniDSP DDRC24 to replace the crossover and make the speakers active. Then look for a DIY cabinet plan to construct for a sealed baffle design .

What I need to understand and hopefully I can get help with is are the Bass and Treble connected separately and is is easy to split the wiring so that it can be connected to a pier of Bi Wire posts on the rear of the cabinet ?

Also does anyone know of any current DIY designs that are sealed baffle that work with these drive units.

As Clive Has said, the two units are wired separately,, connected on the chassis by a four pin plug.

I have pair of Tannoy Cheviots (12" hpd drivers) which I have been toying with the same idea. The cabinets unfortunately are a reflex design, and like you Andrew, I'd prefer a sealed box design. The Tannoy Mansfield used this driver, and I believe was a sealed box design, it would be a starting point for cabinet volume.

Reactions: deggie

mr.me

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2009
Somewhere
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Andrew, my speakers are 12" Tannoy Monitor Gold but in ported cabinets. I don,t know how familiar you are with the Tannoy sound but as you don't live too far from me you are welcome to come and have a listen.

View attachment IMG_8422.mov

DSC_0213.JPG

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Pictures at an Exhibition.jpg

View attachment IMG_8423.mov

bobovox

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Nov 21, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Andrew, do you have the T/S parameters for the drive units? I'm wondering as Tannoy used them in a ported enclosure if they are really suitable for a sealed cabinet. Hopefully you can find an off the shelf enclosure design but if not then you will need the T/S parameters to calculate the enclosure volume required for the drivers.

If you don't have them, it is possible to measure them with REW + an impedance measurement jig (which you can put together with a few quid's worth of bits):

https://www.roomeqwizard.com/help/help_en-GB/html/thielesmall.html

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1340740-lilmikea-s-diy-impedance-measurement-jig.html

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thank you all for your help , and the offer to have a listen . It is food for thought . At this moment I have just today brought my refurbished Quad ESL 57 speakers home and they have been causing me quite a bit of a problem . So any ideas at the mment are shelved til I have this sorted .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles