Linn Owners

HiFi Components and Speakers You Should Have Never Sold?

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A long time ago I owned an Audio Research SP3A tube preamp and Audio Research solid state power amp powering Magneplanar speakers. There was very little bass, but the mids and highs were so sweet, and the 3 dimensional aspect of the sound stage allowed me to place the musicians on the stage. 

I have had many stereo systems and changes over the years, but it took many upgrades to my Linn systems to get back to the joy I had with my old Audio Research tube system with the Maggie’s.

Fortunately, my current system far exceeds anything I have had in the past, but still have warm memories of that system.

Do you have HiFi components or speakers you wish you had never sold? 

grommeteer

Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Kiel Germany
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can understand that. Tube gear can be really great. I had a diy tube amp when I was young. I spent a lot of time with it. Very fond memories. I could easily make one just like it if I wanted to. I guess for me those times are over. 
Some of the gear I really liked and enjoyed is still in my possession. 
The only component I really regret selling is my Akurate CD. A thing of beauty. I loved how the drive and  drawer sounded. I am talking about mechanical noises. And it was, again for me, the best source component I ever had. Traded it in for an ADS/0 in 2009. Bad decision. 
The list of components I regret buying unfortunately is much longer.

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can understand that. Tube gear can be really great. I had a diy tube amp when I was young. I spent a lot of time with it. Very fond memories. I could easily make one just like it if I wanted to. I guess for me those times are over. 
Some of the gear I really liked and enjoyed is still in my possession. 
The only component I really regret selling is my Akurate CD. A thing of beauty. I loved how the drive and  drawer sounded. I am talking about mechanical noises. And it was, again for me, the best source component I ever had. Traded it in for an ADS/0 in 2009. Bad decision. 
The list of components I regret buying unfortunately is much longer.
Yes, those times are over now for me, but the tube stuff had the smell of the tubes warming up, the hum of the electronics and the concern of whether the tubes were optimal or whether they needed to be changed. But that warm fuzzy ultra smooth sound quality made up for it.

‘I know what you mean about selling off the Akurate CD and the elegance of it all.

‘I bought a Majik DS when they were first introduced, knowing nothing about streaming at the time. I was assured that my Linn dealer would help do a basic setup and even provided me with a portable hard drive with some music to get started, but I did not like the sound quality of that first streamer. Fortunately, a few months later my Linn dealer bought back my Majik DS as credit towards the newly released Akurate DS/1 and all was well.

• Upvote
Reactions: grommeteer

Smokin Donut

New Wammer
Mar 12, 2020
Lovely to hear mention of the Akurate CD - a very short lived superstar. I traded mine in after less than a year for an original ADS, which I found to be almost exclusively a great improvement (presumably why I did the trade) - except when listening to Tubular Bells, which was the only thing I had on SACD. Apart from that, the Akurate CD depreciation was the most painful bit...

Over 20 years, starting in 1991, I managed to upgrade myself to what was a Klimax level LP12 for the time. I was about to go Radikal when I realised I hardly ever listened to the thing - life at the time just didn't have space for the whole ritual of vinyl. When the man that bought it came to take it away (No depreciation problem here) we sat listening to something off Santana's Moonflower and a little tear rolled down my cheek.

And over ten years on, now that I have the time for the vinyl ritual, and I still have the LP collection, could I really justify over 20K getting another? It's like Cats in The Cradle, only with turntables.

Pennypacker

d^_^b
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
Netherlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Harman Kardon HK 990, IIRC the first stereo integrated with digital DSP and DAC, what a nice piece of kit, in the same period sold my Dynaudio Audience 52 STP. I used this as a combo with a Sqeeuzebox touch. 

The Dyns started with Linn Genki, Majik-I and LK85. A friend had a Klout which we tested on the Dyn’s, this ment the end of the LK85 era.. came across the HK990 for some reason an bought it, the thing really kept the 52’s under control and gave it some real punch. Sold it because of “domestic constraints” 

I still have a sweetspot for Dynaudio standmounts..

Reactions: Paulssurround

Newton John

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A long time ago I owned an Audio Research SP3A tube preamp and Audio Research solid state power amp powering Magneplanar speakers. There was very little bass, but the mids and highs were so sweet, and the 3 dimensional aspect of the sound stage allowed me to place the musicians on the stage. 

I have had many stereo systems and changes over the years, but it took many upgrades to my Linn systems to get back to the joy I had with my old Audio Research tube system with the Maggie’s.

Fortunately, my current system far exceeds anything I have had in the past, but still have warm memories of that system.

There are two components I've been nostalgic for after selling them.

Firstly, the CD12. There was something very satisfying about the CD drawer mechanism. It made no sense to keep a CD player worth some £4,000 after I bought a DS, but I still missed it. If money had been no object, I'd have kept it just because it would have been nice to own.

Secondly, I parted with my LP12 two years ago for the same reasons as Elderboy. Logically, the reasons for my decision still hold good. However, I do miss it and have been tempted to buy another one. Head won out over heart again as it would have pushed the Next-Generation KSH and Organik out of reach.

cspgqqt

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 13, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Linn Kan 2 + matching stands. Most musical speakers that I have ever had, I have changed my speakers to various ones such as the Naim SBL, Dynaudio Contour S5.4, Harbeth 40.2, but none matches the diminutive Linn Kan 2 as far as the musicality is concerned. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Heiko

Wammer
Nov 11, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Dual CS505-4, sold almost 20 yrs ago and still available. Honest worker, and probably good enough for the amount of vinyl I would play today if I would still or again own a turntable ...

Sony MZ-R 35, mobile Minidisc Recorder ;)  Just because it's such a nice piece of kit, well built, both digitally and mechanically. Also, in a way both old fashioned and the future. And it's not big, so it wouldn't have consumed too much space. Also a good reminder of why it's not always a good idea to be an early adopter ... this thing became quite obsolete because of CD writers very fast ... and I had this only as a partner to my Sony MDS-JE 500 ;)  But I had time enough to talk two friends into buying Minidisc players as well ;)

Sound Hound

Wammer
Jan 17, 2019
AKA
Not Actually Canine
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This obviously doesn't count... Just Yet ! - But - My beloved KDSM/2 - a truly great piece of kit.

It's about to go up for sale again on eBay. I say again because I've previously had it up for sale for what I thought, considering it's performance, was a very reasonable price, but there were no takers. Maybe "source first" has fallen out of favour? I jest of course! I'm sure it's due to the current financial circs of so many due to CV19 ? I hope someone aquires it soon - so as to keep the loan sharks from my door !!

Perhaps someone could suggest a sensible asking price for a mint current spec example?

Billz

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 11, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This obviously doesn't count... Just Yet ! - But - My beloved KDSM/2 - a truly great piece of kit.

It's about to go up for sale again on eBay. I say again because I've previously had it up for sale for what I thought, considering it's performance, was a very reasonable price, but there were no takers. Maybe "source first" has fallen out of favour? I jest of course! I'm sure it's due to the current financial circs of so many due to CV19 ? I hope someone aquires it soon - so as to keep the loan sharks from my door !!

Perhaps someone could suggest a sensible asking price for a mint current spec example?
I did think that with the release of the new Organik there would be a chance for those, such as myself, who have ADSM’s to go to Klimax level at a reasonable price. From what I have seen on eBay, prices are still too high to tempt me. I am also not sure if a KDSM can be a straight swap for an ADSM? Looking at the rear panel of some of them, I can’t see any phono out sockets so not sure how to connect to my 4200 amp.  However, the major turn off for me is the ones in silver. Such a ‘last century’ colour. Realistically, the silver boxes should be half the price of the black ones, or at least throw in a free can of black spray paint 😀

Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton
Wammer
Jan 30, 2019
Nowhere in Particular
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I do regret selling my Nottingham Analogue Space Deck. I don’t miss the turntable, but I wish I’d kept the Space Arm, which was like a deluxe version of a Naim Aro. Not sure where I would have used it. 

Sound Hound

Wammer
Jan 17, 2019
AKA
Not Actually Canine
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I did think that with the release of the new Organik there would be a chance for those, such as myself, who have ADSM’s to go to Klimax level at a reasonable price. From what I have seen on eBay, prices are still too high to tempt me. I am also not sure if a KDSM can be a straight swap for an ADSM? Looking at the rear panel of some of them, I can’t see any phono out sockets so not sure how to connect to my 4200 amp.  However, the major turn off for me is the ones in silver. Such a ‘last century’ colour. Realistically, the silver boxes should be half the price of the black ones, or at least throw in a free can of black spray paint 😀
It would absolutely be a straight swap for an ADSM ! (Phono outs ARE present). Colour IS naturally a personal preference and I too would normally go for black, but as the display on a KDSM is black, it's nice to have a contrasting colour to show the display/design off - if I had the choice I'd go for silver again - I know I'm biased, but it really does look "kool" !! Just because the NGKDSM is now the top dog does NOT mean the original sounds krap - I for one could easily live with it - just as the old skool Klimax LP12 owners could live with theirs before the new Radikal and Ekstatik cartridge came along ;- )

• Upvote
Reactions: Billz

Chris 1970

Love colors in music
Wammer Plus
Aug 16, 2021
France
AKA
Christophe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Firstly, the CD12. There was something very satisfying about the CD drawer mechanism. It made no sense to keep a CD player worth some £4,000 after I bought a DS, but I still missed it. If money had been no object, I'd have kept it just because it would have been nice to own.
Hi John,

I will keep the CD12… because – as you say – the drawer mechanism of this player is so smooth – plug and play before the time – and so qualitative…
It's still a high quality transport as I could test in the dealer room. But I've to admit, streaming was even better.
I don't know if it will be always the case, but that's this moving part problem that cause a (major) lake of focus and timbre…

Time will say how much I will use it… but I couldn't let it alone so much I presume 😊

arm

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 8, 2018
Toronto
AKA
Anthony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
After being out of the high end rat race between 2000 and 2010 , I decided to jump back in with a trade of my Naim nap100/ nac135 combo for a vpi 16.5 record cleaner. The nap needed a recap and I was fixed on a surround intergraded amp.  This combo was my entry into HiFi in the 80’s . I’m sure most of my regret is nostalgic. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online