Hifi World Closes

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I saw some mutterings elsewhere to this effect . The market unfortunately has really moved online but Noel should be truly proud of his contribution to the Uk Hifi scene . I remember reading it and thinking no another month till the next issue .

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very sad. I always enjoyed hifi World, seemed to cut it's own path than go with the crowd and was always well written by enthusiasts.

I still enjoy reading hifi mags but sadly this no longer seems the norm, when you can find your own church/cult of hifi on the net.

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
We are getting more items thrown at us then ever before to review . The advantages are a longer review time so you can really get to know the product because once you send the review back to the Ed ( George 47 ) and everyone is happy its viral . No lead times with printers and oh sorry you are in the queue for the November issue etc .

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
We are getting more items thrown at us then ever before to review . The advantages are a longer review time so you can really get to know the product because once you send the review back to the Ed ( George 47 ) and everyone is happy its viral . No lead times with printers and oh sorry you are in the queue for the November issue etc .
I think the "forum" review is way behind the youtube reviewers and that's now the model the manufacturer/distributors now head towards. Look at the headphone world and the current number of manufacturers using youtube reviewers to voice their own version of a popular headphone, I'm using one right now as I write.

the written word, regardless of what it's actually done on, is itself becoming redundant.

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think the "forum" review is way behind the youtube reviewers and that's now the model the manufacturer/distributors now head towards. Look at the headphone world and the current number of manufacturers using youtube reviewers to voice their own version of a popular headphone, I'm using one right now as I write.

the written word, regardless of what it's actually done on, is itself becoming redundant.

I do take your point and yes YouTube is on the rise but not sure my knuckle duster Sarf London accent would be better than the written word 😁

Von Krolock

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 30, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You got an accent Duvet? - one always assumed you spoke in RP.:)
London accents - like all regional UK accents - are very, very interesting.
Love the diversity of the English language.
My native Darlington accent often sounds idiotic.

• Haha
Reactions: DUVET

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I do take your point and yes YouTube is on the rise but not sure my knuckle duster Sarf London accent would be better than the written word 😁
It adds realism, most thinking you'd been on the steal from your local dealer and having a proper brag about it, innit?

• Haha
Reactions: TheFlash and DUVET

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Will there be a another mag published? Just wondering if i should contact my bank and stop my direct debit.
I asked my wife for a subscription for my birthday earlier this year I'd better tell her to cancel it! Sadly sounds like we might be creditors as I think it was a pay up front annual DD.

Von Krolock

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 30, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's a shame that it is no longer here to tell us how bad early digital was.
HFW maintained interest in LPs back in the 90s when the other mags were rattling on about AV.
You watch a film once but you can listen to music a thousand times.

Last edited:

maddog_007

maddog_007
Wammer
Oct 17, 2018
Waterfoot ,Glasgow
AKA
dennis
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's a shame that it is no longer here to tell us how bad early digital was.
HFW maintained interest in LPs back in the 90s when the other mags were rattling on about AV.
You watch a film once but you can listen to music a thousand times.
I tend to re watch my favourite films/TV series multiple times,Clint Eastwoods are worth this effort and GOT,Battlestar Galactica and the Stargate boxsets are on my nas to watch at any time! 😀.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's sad, but inevitable that hard-copy print things will go the way of the horse and cart. I like books and magazines, in the same way that I prefer CD and vinyl to streaming. To me there is more 'worth' in physical items. Nevertheless, in climate change terms, printing is very wasteful. Particularly in view of the transport factor.

WRT online reviews, I know full well that I am far from the only person who has a dislike of video for this. And this time, it's not an 'age' thing, but a 'fit for purpose' thing. Video reviews make sense for cars and bikes, but far less sense for audio. A decent writer can convey information with great ease, whereas many video presenters appear incapable of coherent speech, never mind getting a point across.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Almost everywhere sites are moving to a Netflix look and feel. Even the BBC website that used to have a lot of text is now dominated by pictures and they have far more video content than before. https://www.bbc.com/news

Reactions: griffo104

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's sad, but inevitable that hard-copy print things will go the way of the horse and cart. I like books and magazines, in the same way that I prefer CD and vinyl to streaming. To me there is more 'worth' in physical items. Nevertheless, in climate change terms, printing is very wasteful. Particularly in view of the transport factor.

WRT online reviews, I know full well that I am far from the only person who has a dislike of video for this. And this time, it's not an 'age' thing, but a 'fit for purpose' thing. Video reviews make sense for cars and bikes, but far less sense for audio. A decent writer can convey information with great ease, whereas many video presenters appear incapable of coherent speech, never mind getting a point across.
I also prefer a well written review but many HiFi reviews are no better than the YouTube guys. I read a review the other day that compared the review item to the taste of wine. “More of a French Sauvignon than a NZ Marlborough Sauvignon!!” WTF?!!

There are too many time where a print reviewers doesn’t use any comparison and therefore many reviews read the same. “The sense of being there was palpable.” “The contribution of X musician’s drum work really drive the track” “The interplay between x and y musician really was something to behold.” “It got out of the way of the music”. Completely uninformative to me. And these comments are used time and time again no matter the item under review.

But I personally prefer to read print as a I can speed read. No speed reading possible in a video. And I like comparisons between items so that I can triangulate what some thing might sound like.

Reactions: TheFlash

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.