glevethan

Wammer
Jun 7, 2021
NY
AKA
Gregg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am using the balanced outputs to Klimax analogue crossovers and have been advised not to use the RCA outputs at the same time so trying to work out how to introduce a headphone amp and headphones to the system.
In fact this is one of the benefits of upgrading from Katalyst to Organik. Linn has stated this is no longer a problem and cables can now be connected to both XLR and RCA outputs at the same time without compromising/affecting performance

Reactions: Lunch

loogiefi

Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
London
AKA
Noil Porter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In fact this is one of the benefits of upgrading from Katalyst to Organik. Linn has stated this is no longer a problem and cables can now be connected to both XLR and RCA outputs at the same time without compromising/affecting performance
thanks for sharing that. I did speak to Linn about this and they did not mention that benefit of going organik. Looks like I will need to do that first before investing in a headphone setup. Your Setup looks amazing. what make is the headphone amp?

glevethan

Wammer
Jun 7, 2021
NY
AKA
Gregg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It is the mythical Stax T2 electrostatic amp (for Stax headphones only). There is a fascinating story behind it. Google is your friend with the keywords T2, Gilmore, Eksonic

Reactions: maddog_007

DoomHammer

Wammer
Nov 30, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m booked in on Monday at Cymbiosis to demo the Organik / Utopik upgrade to my KDS3 / Katalyst and looking forward to it.

DG….
Are you going to compare it to other stuff that might be there such as Selekt Organik Mono?

Reactions: DiggyGun

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Had a very nice few hours at Cymbiosis this afternoon. Mrs DG and I went up for the Organik / Utopik demo.

We took along our Linn Klimax DS/3 Katalyst (1) to demo against the Organik version (2) and also took the opportunity to demo the Linn Selekt Edition DSM Organik / Utopik (3). Unfortunately, they didn’t have a Klimax DS/3 Organik / Utopik that we could demo.

Played a pre-set playlist of tracks that we know well. A pleasant time listening to music and drinking coffee.

They were connected to a Naim NAC 552 pre-amp, with 2x Naim NAP 350 power amps feeding Kudos 606 speakers.

Started with (1) to set the base level, then (2) and finally (3).

There was an improvement between (1) and (2) as there was more detail, with percussion being more defined and an overall improvement in depth.

Interestingly, if I recall, there wasn’t as much difference as there was as against the Naim ND5 XS, when we initially got (1), back in 2022.

With (3), the presentation was a bit more relaxed, but a lot more detailed. Was hearing detail that I hadn’t noticed before.

After a chat with them, going back up to demo the Linn Selekt Edition DSM Utopik with two Stereo Organik Power Out Cartridges Active into the Kudos 606 speakers.

Before making any final decision, want to demo a single box hub system against a large number of Naim black boxes system.

As well as the sound, one of the things I liked about (3), was the modular approach. For example, you add cartridges for various configurations, which can have one of three DACs (Standard / Katalyst / Organik). If you start, say with the standard DAC and want to upgrade to the Organik at a later stage, you can p/x for the new DAC as it is a plug in module. Rather than with the Organik upgrade for (1), there is no p/x for the old DAC, which goes as WEEE waste. This also makes upgrading in the future easier.

So keeping my options open at the moment and will decide further after the next demo sometime in December.

DG…

Last edited:

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What's your opinion of the Selekt compared to what you own?.
I thought it sounded better than what I presently have, but then it did have Utopik, plus an Organik DAC in the Stereo Line Out Cartridge .

DG…

Last edited:
Reactions: Ray Vardy

maddog_007

maddog_007
Wammer
Oct 17, 2018
Waterfoot ,Glasgow
AKA
dennis
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I bought a KDS3 Katalyst with the main aim of upgrading it to Organik level.

Since then it's had the Organik/Utopik installed...

Katalyst was a major improvement,but Organik really shows what the r&d efforts Linn engineers have produced.

Hope you get the chance to hear a KlimaxDS/DSM with both these upgrades, you are in for a real sonic treat!.

silkie

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 9, 2018
Saffron Walden
AKA
Jon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
After a chat with them, going back up to demo the Linn Selekt DSM Organik / Utopik Exact (Active) into the Kudos 606 speakers.
That will blow your tits off, assuming the internal amps are beefy enough to drive the 606's :)

I currently have on home demo this front end with internal selekt amps into Katans and a sub. All exakt and it's the best system I've ever experienced. Take that with a pinch of salt though, I've never listened to anything at Klimax level. I can only imagine the 606's would take things to another level.

Enjoy your next demo session.

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@silkie

We had a very good demo session last Saturday at Cymbiosis and many thanks to Phil for helping us.

Listened to our Test Playlist on the Selekt Edition DSM Hub with Utopik and two Stereo Power Amplifier Cartridges and two Organik DAC Modules. This was active into the Kudos Titan 606 loud speakers using Kudos KS-1 speaker cable. (We have these speakers and cables at home).

All I can say is stonking. The amount of detail was well presented, picking out parts that I hadn’t heard before. the sound was exceptionally clear and relaxed.

It is a different sound from using Naim amplification, as above, but the cartridges did drive the speakers well, with no struggle whatsoever. I was quite impressed with what power those two cartridges could produce. Maybe not quite so much slam as Naim, but certainly no slouch. It did seem to be well suited for Jazz which is the main genre that we listen to.

I did however, contact Kudos prior to the demo to see if there would being any issues driving the 606s. They replied that it would be a good match and the person who replied, further advised that he has a high-end Linn DSM into his Titan speakers. Indeed, if you look at their website for the Linn Active Set-up Guide, it does show the Linn Selekt DSM as the active source.

We liked it so much, that we ordered the black version which should take ten days or so to get to Cymbiosis, then we can arrange a date for installation.

Hopefully, will make it in time for a nice Christmas present for us.

DG…

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The installation day has arrived.

The Linn Klimax DS/3 Katalyst (Dynamik) and the Naim boxes (Nine) have been exchanged for a Linn Selekt DSM: Edition Hub (Utopik) / Stereo Power Amplifier Cartridge x2 / Organik DAC x2.

The Kudos Titan 606 Loudspeakers are remaining and will be used in the active mode.

Phil and Wayne came down from Cymbiosis to take away the old kit and install the new Linn DSM, so we had a pleasant time doing that. Phil also updated the SO following the recent updates.

Now to let it settle and to start playing with it.

Some pictures before and after.
IMG_0812.jpeg
IMG_0438.jpeg

A bit of alteration to the trunking. I’ve thinned the sockets down as don’t need that many now. But I’m pleased to have been able to have three unswitched sockets from the dedicated Hi-Fi mains and one unswitched socket from the original house wiring for the light. Plus managed to get an aerial socket fitted as well in the trunking, so neat and tidy.

IMG_0640.jpeg IMG_0434.jpeg

The wiring from the TV has also been simplified. Previously, was an optical cable to a DAC, then to a headphone amplifier, then a 3.5mm jack stereo cable to DIN into the NAC 282. Now it is just a HDMI ARC cable straight into the DSM.

Mrs DG loves the new set-up with only one box and also enjoyed herself with the two demo days that we did and selecting the new furniture to replace the Hi-Rack.

I will report back once we’ve been playing with it for while.

DG…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.