Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A thread on how to audition hifi properly called "How to audition hifi properly". So anyone wishing to discuss this important topic on another thread can be politely pointed over here, keeping all threads broadly on topic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@radiant red edited so it doesn't. I stand by my comment. 

I like listening. I've tried soooooo many things through my front room, loads of side by side listening. 

I don't do graphs. I like to hear the difference. 

As for auditioning. Always get whatever it is in your front room. How does it sound? Probably not the same as the dealers room. Have a listen in your own environment. Do you still like it? 

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@radiant red edited so it doesn't. I stand by my comment. 

I like listening. I've tried soooooo many things through my front room, loads of side by side listening. 

I don't do graphs. I like to hear the difference. 

As for auditioning. Always get whatever it is in your front room. How does it sound? Probably not the same as the dealers room. Have a listen in your own environment. Do you still like it? 
Don’t disagree with what you say because I did a thread ages ago about using your ears.. 

The problem is, it’s just going to get out of hand. I see it coming 

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Audition! What do you mean, Audition?

You just buy the best measuring bit of kit in your price bracket.

If you don't like how it sounds - then you need more measurements, so you buy a microphone and get the appropriate software. This will give you some excellent graphs that you don't understand, or know what to do with - so you spend more money on someone who does, who then sells you some acoustic panels and sets up your EQ.

If you still don't like the result, it doesn't matter - as the important thing is, it all measures well.

Since you don't really like how it sounds, you don't listen to music - that is until you go to a Bake-off and hear somebody else's system, that sounds brilliant and consists mostly of Audio Note - and they haven't measured it, or blind tested it. What ya know? You've discovered your love of music again.

You now sell the lot and get something that you actually like and works in your room - by listening to it.

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don’t disagree with what you say because I did a thread ages ago about using your ears.. 

The problem is, it’s just going to get out of hand. I see it coming 
Well then I bow out.

That's my tried and tested method. Sorry if I've misunderstood the point of the thread @TheFlash.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My music room ...

iu

Ahhh, just look at that noise floor.

And the black, it looks to be 2.76dB blacker than the black we had before.  :x

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When I tweak my DSP settings or try new cables (normally home made 'cheap' but well recognised components etc) I use REW but ALWAYS then actually listen to my system using tracks or albums that I'm very familiar with and see if it's made any difference - then I'll get Janes opinion etc.  If I can I'll swap this back & forth with Jane who has little interest in the technical side so it's my version of double blind.  

At the end of the day I'll rely on my ears for what sounds best/better/improved etc and I have found a better DSP curve but then couldn't live with the sibilance on vocals so I reverted back to its previous settings etc.

Note .......I know my name is actually Keith so please forgive me for mentioning double blind - I am a Keith similar to Deggie (another Keith) but not to be confused with THE KEITH with whose thoughts/guidance I'm not aligned with.

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Absolutely and indeed. Whether by trialing gear from a dealer or buying use at a price you can move on at little or a level of loss you're happy with. I prefer the used option though appreciate this may not be so good for the industry. And it's fun - don't forget the fun !

lindsayt

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 19, 2009
Huddersfield, , Unit
The best way I can put it is to relax and let the music wash over you and let the hi-fi's speak for themselves.

I am worse at auditioning when I'm under stress, or trying too hard.

Try to level match. Or err on the side of what initially sounds better being played a little bit quieter.

The same recording should be played on both. Playing different recordings on different equipment can still be an interesting and informative event but it's not auditioning with a view on what to buy or what to keep, unless the differences between the equipment is huge.

MGTOW

MGTOW
Wammer
Feb 4, 2019
Poole, Dorset
AKA
Dave Wiley
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Audition! What do you mean, Audition?

You just buy the best measuring bit of kit in your price bracket.

If you don't like how it sounds - then you need more measurements, so you buy a microphone and get the appropriate software. This will give you some excellent graphs that you don't understand, or know what to do with - so you spend more money on someone who does, who then sells you some acoustic panels and sets up your EQ.

If you still don't like the result, it doesn't matter - as the important thing is, it all measures well.

Since you don't really like how it sounds, you don't listen to music - that is until you go to a Bake-off and hear somebody else's system, that sounds brilliant and consists mostly of Audio Note - and they haven't measured it, or blind tested it. What ya know? You've discovered your love of music again.

You now sell the lot and get something that you actually like and works in your room - by listening to it.
Quite vituperative, not like you at all CNO, disappointed.

You usually leave 'taking the piss' to people to people like me, we are better at it than you are!

• Haha
Reactions: uzzy and chrisph

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Quite vituperative, not like you at all CNO, disappointed.

You usually leave 'taking the piss' to people to people like me, we are better at it than you are!
Vituperative? Not in the least.....More highlighting, in a lighthearted way, how ridiculous these debates usually are.

If you haven't seen me do this before, you haven't been paying attention.  :clout:

Headcoat

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Feb 15, 2006
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Listen at home, over time, relax, try different genres of music, different volumes, under different moods, and any other variable you can throw at it.

I've two new sets of speakers, bought on the back of a demo at dealers, both are working nicely in one room and neither currently working in the other room. I've some ideas how to fix that, time will tell. On back of the lockdown I impulsively bought both when I had intended to home demo both. Silly me.

Demo at dealers, read up on measurements and others opinions. I'm really sensitive to upper mid-frequencies and have returned three sets of headphones to Amazon recently that I just couldn't get on with; didn't look at measurements before buying, only once I was unhappy with or had returned them, but all had suspect fq peaks between 4 and 7khz - exactly what I can't abide.

Blind testing for me is a no. It may well work for some. I do fear it's the equivalent of an unreliable medical test and produces as many 'false negatives' as it proves there is no difference.

Summary: as is appropriate for the individual a mix of demo at dealers and home, measurements, long term listening, blind testing, references. Is there a one size fits all?

Most important, imo, listen at length at home.

Reactions: joolz and Nativebon

MGTOW

MGTOW
Wammer
Feb 4, 2019
Poole, Dorset
AKA
Dave Wiley
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Vituperative? Not in the least.....More highlighting, in a lighthearted way, how ridiculous these debates usually are.

If you haven't seen me do this before, you haven't been paying attention.  :clout:
Entirely possible, touché, by the way.

MGTOW

MGTOW
Wammer
Feb 4, 2019
Poole, Dorset
AKA
Dave Wiley
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Listen at home, over time, relax, try different genres of music, different volumes, under different moods, and any other variable you can throw at it.

I've two new sets of speakers, bought on the back of a demo at dealers, both are working nicely in one room and neither currently working in the other room. I've some ideas how to fix that, time will tell. On back of the lockdown I impulsively bought both when I had intended to home demo both. Silly me.

Demo at dealers, read up on measurements and others opinions. I'm really sensitive to upper mid-frequencies and have returned three sets of headphones to Amazon recently that I just couldn't get on with; didn't look at measurements before buying, only once I was unhappy with or had returned them, but all had suspect fq peaks between 4 and 7khz - exactly what I can't abide.

Blind testing for me is a no. It may well work for some. I do fear it's the equivalent of an unreliable medical test and produces as many 'false negatives' as it proves there is no difference.

Summary: as is appropriate for the individual a mix of demo at dealers and home, measurements, long term listening, blind testing, references. Is there a one size fits all?

Most important, imo, listen at length at home.
Nope, not for me! 

In my home, sure, but first reactions are the most revealing as far as I am concerned.

Listening over time tends to allow me to adjust to what I am hearing, not good, it is amazing what I can put up with once I get accustomed to it.

My first wife for example...   :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online