Question How to tell when a valve is ready for replacement?

A question.

RICHARDIIII

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2010
York
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
7 months in with my Art Audio Jota I have noticed that I have to turn the volume knob higher than I used to (very subjective!). I'm not certain, but it has made me wonder when valves need replacing?

The small driver valves have been replaced with NOS recently, but the main 300B XLS had quite a few hours on them and I must have had it on 4-500 hours (I'm a sod for falling asleep listening and waking up at 4am!)

Will they just "pop" or gradually loose power? Any other tell tale signs?

Cheers,

Rich.

Fullrange

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Torquay
AKA
Marc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Rich.
Generally speaking power valves should give you 2000 to 5000 hours. The small valves could last at least double that or more.
500 hours they are just running in.

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Along with the above, I might add that there's several failure modes for a DHT like the 300b, but *typically* they just run out of steam, and slowly usually. Very slowly occurring loss of volume is indeed a sign of tired valves, but often I have found that more vigour with the volume is because of a more refined or less abrasive sound, all things being equal which of course they never are!

Overall I'd concur that most likely things are just settling in. That is what I'd expect as the valves reach early mid-life. Sit back and enjoy 😊

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As above - probably the 300Bs are in mid life. No big deal for now. Just look for a good deal for a future purchase.

Input tubes last a long time unless they are over-driven. This can happen, but there's usually no need to design for over-driving an input tube.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Directly-heated triodes (e.g. 300B in this case) generally last longer than indirectly heated valves. With absolutely any valve it very much depends on the circuit and on how 'hard' it is run. With DHTs in particular, it also depends on the filament voltage being accurate.

Assuming a decent circuit with proper operating points (with the Art is highly likely to have) then depending on the make, you should expect 5,000 to 10,000 hours for 300Bs. The 'real' Western Electric were rated at over 30,000 but some of the modern production 'hyper' versions are apparently closer to 5,000. Valves sometimes fail quite spectacularly, but unless the bias is way off, DHTs tend to just tail off. Usual signs to my ears are a loss of definition and top-end clarity, but again it depends on the circuit.

Either way, bearing in mind that DHTs generally take a fair while to stabilise properly, at 500-1,000 hours, they're just about ready to rock :)

Reactions: JamieMcC

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not necessarily if he's been listening quietly.
Are you sure, Sir? I thought that if you took out half of the waveform you'd end up with serious distortion. I'd have agreed with you if a parallel valve goes dead at low volume you may not notice it has gone but Push-Pull? Unless you were listening at such low volume that the o/p stage is always in class A, so that the valve which is still operating continues to work over the entire waveform ... maybe my understanding is at fault: if so Pleez enlighten me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.