Wammer
Wammer
May 7, 2011
Scotland
AKA
billy
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bought some vinyl on RSD went to play one and got this hum/buzz through the speakers. It gets louder as you turn the volume up. I’ve not moved or changed anything since last use. I’ve tried unplugging cables etc. I think it’s my heed quasar phono stage but would welcome any ideas 

thanks

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not stating the obvious but has your earth lead slipped off your TT to the earth point ? 

Reactions: uzzy

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The earth wire is at the end of the interconnects and yes connected to the heed 
Very odd, can you run the earth lead to the amp? 
Disconnect the heed from mains and allow it to discharge for about 10 mins and try again

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yep definitely sounds like an earth/ground issue.

When you unplugged, your leads did you also unscrew, the RCAs and check the integrity of the solder joints? If not then go back through and check and also watch the cable routing/dressing. Another thing to check is the tightness of the terminal screws in all IECs & 3 pin plugs.

I had a similar thing last year when I swapped my 2nd system layout around, spent ages check cable dressing and rca integrity to no avail, I still had a hum on one channel. I eventually found the cause, it was a loose earth terminal in a power amp 3 pin plug. 

billthewiz

Wammer
Wammer
May 7, 2011
Scotland
AKA
billy
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just a wee update I opened the quasar and psu for a look theres 4 bigger components(not sure what they are)but at least 2 of them have some leakage or maybe blown on the q psu. 

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
910310-efa9216e-heed-quasar-phono-pre.jpg

If it is the 4 (one has a yellow dot on) they are capacitors. If there are bulges in any of them, they will need changing.

• Upvote
Reactions: Bokke and Tony_J

billthewiz

Wammer
Wammer
May 7, 2011
Scotland
AKA
billy
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yeah that’s the 4 capacitors that I think is the problem. There’s some residue on the case underneath when I took it off as well as on the board. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.