If you could have components looking like one box but sounding like another ?

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This might not have legs but I've got time on my hands and a phone in them ! 

I want my pre to be a Quad 33 on the outside and my Croft on the inside 😉. It might be best not to take this too seriously !

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd quite like some speakers that look like B&O Beolab 6000s but sound like the ADAM O.S.S.!

Last edited by a moderator:

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I often get the urge to stick my Hypex monos in a Quad 405 box. If I understand the way they work they are simply the ultimate evolution of dumping technology anyway!

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My current system has the aesthetic appeal of quasimodo being run over by a lorry.

As long as it sounds OK, I have long given up on what it looks like.

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My current system has the aesthetic appeal of quasimodo being run over by a lorry.

As long as it sounds OK, I have long given up on what it looks like.
Your system never looked better than when my Leak 12s were pushing it 😉.

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Who cares, mine lives in a cupboard, if it looks like a bag of nails, shut the doors. Rather that than looks stunning and sounds like a bag of nails.

jamwat

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 15, 2010
Who cares, mine lives in a cupboard, if it looks like a bag of nails, shut the doors. Rather that than looks stunning and sounds like a bag of nails.
You beat me to it. Couldn’t agree more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

notevenclose

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 31, 2007
Perth, Scotland
AKA
Miles
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I want my pre to be a Quad 33 on the outside and my Croft on the inside 😉. It might be best not to take this too seriously !
 I'd quite like to keep my very pretty Boenickes but with a pair of Vox Olympians inside, please.

Yes, I'm aware I may have watched a few too many episodes of Dr Who.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

well when you can design a tardis that fits all the tubes in a matchbox then forget it :)   You could try a Nagra preamp if you have the money - it has the cuteness of a Quad 33 and twice the heart of the croft valve pre :)   http://www.nagraaudio.com/nagra-classic-preamp/

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
well when you can design a tardis that fits all the tubes in a matchbox then forget it :)   You could try a Nagra preamp if you have the money - it has the cuteness of a Quad 33 and twice the heart of the croft valve pre :)   http://www.nagraaudio.com/nagra-classic-preamp/
Very nice indeed but it took long enough to save up for the Croft !

Reactions: uzzy

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hope this is at least in the spirit of this thread I would like the outer case of a McIntosh (ones with the big blue meters on) and the Internals my Krell KSA50 plus an Audio Research reference 5 Pre to make the best Intergrated amplifier I can think of .

bigfool1956

Old Progger
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2008
Littlehampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I'd take the outside of my wallet and the inside of someone rich enough to buy what I desire :)  

Cloth-Ears.

Censored Wammer
Wammer
Jul 11, 2016
Pie Town NM
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A system that sounds like a fifty grand Meridian set up in a perfect room with perfect ears instead of my rubbish ones.

.................. that looks like the Marvellous Mechanical Mouse Organ

ecf8e2cdfba07c57eef81713fa5fce51.jpg

newlash09

Iam deaf at the ears, but way more dumb in between
Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hope this is at least in the spirit of this thread I would like the outer case of a McIntosh (ones with the big blue meters on) and the Internals my Krell KSA50 plus an Audio Research reference 5 Pre to make the best Intergrated amplifier I can think of .
Hi Bencat...

Iam considering bringing the krell's looks into the 21st century with an external bluelit VU Meter shown below. Same will be mounted externally on a machined aluminium face plate, and fed from the speaker out terminals. The machined aluminium face plate will be connected to the footers on which the amp will Dac lite_front.jpg sit. And this should give it room for ventilation when placed on the carpet. Still in planning stage. But iam willing to do anything to add a bit of charm to the old box :)

BillShatnersToupee

aka MajorFubar
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Lancashire, UK
AKA
Jon Vincent
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What i'd be interested to know is if you took the insides of a £300 amp and stuck them in the casing of a £3000 amp how many people listening to the £3000 amp would realise it wasn't kosher. I don't believe all amps sound the same but I do believe expectation bias plays a huge part, even if you think you're immune.

• Upvote
Reactions: Naughtilus

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online