tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I’m keen to know what people would buy if they had 10k to spend on a source, amp/s and speakers what they would choose. 

ive got to the point where I have bits of kit all over and wondered about pooling the value. Or would it be a case of diminishing returns? I’ve never spent more than £1800 on a unit.

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Similar to what I have now with the speaks, amps, but definitely digital only.

Or.... If I went that route I'd go £4k powerdac, pi into it and the rest on speakers 

Same DAC, into a power amp like a 909 or ion (£500 or £2500), DAC £1600. £6k left for some used Kensington SE and a raspberry pi? 

Come at me bro 

Last edited by a moderator:

t1no

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 22, 2014
North West
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A couple of choices around a similar theme:

Option 1 (new) : 2 x Cabasse Pearl

Option 2 (used) : Avantgarde Zero 1 + Streamer e.g. Bluesound Node or NAD equivalent

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Auralic Altair G1 or Innuos Zen Mini/power supply, Benchmark (doesn’t need to be better than this for digital unless chasing extreme resolution) + Audio Research or Accuphase level of amp (better amps make a big difference) + Harbeth P3ESR for small room or Harbeth, ATC or Proac if a bigger room.

Surprisingly would put most of budget towards the amp based on my current testing at various price levels as cheaper amps don’t always have enough resolution, tone and punch; they might have two of these attributes but probably not all three. Wouldn’t buy a new amp but might for digital or speakers. 

Reactions: hiesteem

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m keen to know what people would buy if they had 10k to spend on a source, amp/s and speakers what they would choose. 

ive got to the point where I have bits of kit all over and wondered about pooling the value. Or would it be a case of diminishing returns? I’ve never spent more than £1800 on a unit.
Just about managed my loudspeakers for £10k  :rofl:

• Haha

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I'd spend (at least) half on speakers, 30-35% on amplification and 20-15% on a digital source.

Edit: which speakers would depend on the room but definitely full-range (or at least a 2.2 speakers system).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: antonio66

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I'm assuming you're coming from the point of view of everything I currently own got lost/destroyed/stolen and I needed to start again from scratch? If so, I'd go for a full B&O Beolab 8000 system, (Beogram 8002, Beomaster 8000, Beocord 8004, Beovox MS150.2s) and a Beogram CDX CD player. This should leave me about £8000 for vinyl, alcohol, coffee and Oreos.

If you're not coming from the lost/stolen/destroyed angle and are just thinking of actually choosing to start over, then I wouldn't actually buy any of this as I already own all of the above and so wouldn't need two of everything. ;)

Reactions: HectorHughMunro

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I agree with Manicatel here.

I'd go with good quality active speakers. Probably Atc 19a or active 40's. This would guarantee amplifier and speaker compatibility. Then I might indulge in Restek's later version of the Cd player that I own, or try cheaper Cd transport and Dac.

These decisions would be based on my music collection being all Cd and wanting to minimise cost and maximise enjoyment of listening experience.

What this exercise does bring home is, "I might not/would not", be willing to spend the amount of money, originally spent when I purchased my system 23 years ago.

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For ten grand I should be able to get the updated version of my Linn Akurate DSM, which is both streamer and preamp.  Then I’d just need some ex-dem ATC SCM40 Actives, and I’d be done.  If I had to include funds for a turntable and CD player too, then I would pretty much buy what I already have. 

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Used 4 box Lector CDP

New Line Magnetic 805iA

Used Quad ESL 2905

Griff500

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 27, 2017
Prague, Czech
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I wouldn't spend it on used gear but I'd upgrade my SCM40A to SCM50ASLT and put the rest toward a DC4. Those are the only things I can see myself changing in my system.

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd spend it all on cables....  :rofl:

Seriously, I'd like to try a high-end cartridge like one of the stone-bodied Koetsus, or something like that. Maybe the Lyra Atlas? Would definitely need a better phono stage to get the most out of it too. That would probably take a chunk out of the budget. With anything left over it would be room treatment I think.

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Used to spend thousands on items but now just as happy with some lower stuff which is very enjoyable.  If had 10k I might be tempted by some verity speakers but they would have to be good to beat present speakers 

Reactions: DomT

robbie010

Fervent Box-swapper & Tinkerer
Wammer Plus
Feb 24, 2016
Manchester
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not too dis-similarely, I recently did away with my plethora of boxes, including turntable and most of my vinyl and switched to a very simple setup:

Gato DIA-250s NPM
Harbeth Super HL5 40th Anniversary

TonTrager Stands

With cables and other bits’n’bats it wasn’t far off £10k but I am very happy with this very simple setup. 

Reactions: deggie and Nopiano

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online