If you were held against a wall....

DJ14UK

New Wammer
Nov 17, 2018
As many people have said... difficult to answer. I had two much older sisters growing up and was affected to a greater and lesser extent to what they liked ("yes" to early Dexy's Midnight Runners, UB40 [eldest sister] - "no" to ABBA, Bay City Rollers, The Nolans [younger of the two]) which led to my intial likes of the TwoTone output - The Specials, Bodysnatchers, The Beat etc. moving on to New Wave/Romantics - Japan, Depeche Mode etc. Depeche Mode have proved to be the biggest influence on my tastes and it has moved over the years as their music moved - into Indie, Indie-Dance, Grunge, Rock (Inspiral Carpets, James, The Charlatans, Blur, Oasis, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Biffy Clyro, Foals..... could go on!). Currently enjoying Blues/Swing alongside it all and a bit of folky stuff.

To sum up - if you can pigeon hole Depeche Mode style, that is my favourite!!!

DougK

DougK
Wammer
Aug 6, 2018
Witham
AKA
Doug
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ooh missed this thread...

My parents had a Sobell Stereo radiogram in the 60's, this particular model was half tuner/record deck, half drinks cabinet design.

Mainly a pop music lover, anything in the charts from the mid-60's to mid 90's, I switched off when rap started to dominate the charts; not much into heavy metal or prog either.

Mainstays would be soul/funk/disco/electronica. Very partial to 'good' female singers, such as any of the excellent African American singers of that period; also like Karen Carpenter, ABBA, Lara Fabian, Annie Lennox, Kate Bush and Alison Moyet.

I would like to add that the above does not fully cover my very eclectic music collection.    

Reactions: Dogwithnotail

EddieRUKidding

Eddie RU Kidding
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Oz
AKA
Eddie R U Kidding p:
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Zappa

but will secretly profess to liking a bit of Divinyls too ;)

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
can not answer, simply because the genre names, in the main mean sod all to me. I wander into a record or CD shop where everything is carved into genre and have to fight the urge to turn on my heels and walk out. Simple example, how do you work out where to look for Madelaine Pereaux or Greg Porter. Some shops have them in Jazz, others in soul, some in blues. What is grunge, or garage. It strikes me as classification because we can, not because it means much.  How do you sort out someone like Chris Rea, his early stuff is MoR pop, his later stuff blues (to me), where you going to put his stuff.

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yep me included and I love all the early 70's stuff but I answered 60's pop , that would not have been the case a few years ago .

As a 60's child I only saw what was on TV (Beatles fan obviously ) and whatever my parents had on the radio , they were in there 40's and didn't do pop/rock , we didn't have a record player till '68 , growing up through the 60's although I didn't consciously listen to 95% of it my brain took in the vibe and anything from that period hits home with me these days , I know the songs but don't remember knowing them and really enjoy listening to them properly now . If pushed to one album this compilation is the only one I'd save from a fire :

That's a great 3 CD album, I also have it, and takes me back to my formative years. My sister is 10 years older than me, so in the mid sixties aged only10 I would be listening to The Beatles, Stones, Dylan, the Hollies Beach boys, Unit four plus two (had to throw that one in !) early Bee Gees (before disco) Simon & Garfunkel, Pentangle, Byrds, Strawbs, Moody blues, I could go on...……….oh I have :)

Oh and this was all on my parents Stereogram, until 1969 when Dad bought his first separates, Trio 2002 amp, Garrard AP 76 TT and KEF Celeste speakers, happy days.

As to genre, MUSIC. 

Reactions: Bazzer

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My sister is 10 years older than me,
Mine is 6 years older but she is tone deaf and didn't enjoy music so I had nothing to listen , I remember she had one LP a boyfriend bought her , The Hollies sing Dylan can't remember it ever being played.

• Sad
Reactions: greybeard

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The reason I mentioned Unit four plus two, was that it was the first single my sister bought me, Concrete and clay, she then bought me my first album Horizontal, The Bee Gees. :)

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The reason I mentioned Unit four plus two, was that it was the first single my sister bought me, Concrete and clay, she then bought me my first album Horizontal, The Bee Gees. :)
And with you own money , single ? album ?

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Single, She loves you - The Beatles

Album, Threshold of a dream - Moody Blues

And I still have both of them :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Bazzer

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Single, She loves you - The Beatles

Album, Threshold of a dream - Moody Blues

And I still have both of them :)
I had to wait a few more years until we got a record player , a HMV radiogram , and I never got pocket money  :(

Fleetwood Mac - Albatross

then a year or so later my first album , The Beatles - Let It Be

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Easier to say what I don't like!

My record & CD collection contains:

• early music
  • renaissance
  • tudor
  • baroque
  • some classical
  • some folk
  • contemporary acoustic singer/songwriter
  • blues
  • jazz
  • hard rock
  • progressive rock
  • jazz-rock
  • reggae
  • some pop

It would have included my late father's Beethoven LPs but my mum disposed of them not knowing of my interest (I'd already rescued all the Bach Handel and Vivaldi).

It does not (and never will) include rap, hip-hop, and what is called "r&b" (but which has nothing to do with the rhythm & blues I'm used to)

@rabski have you noticed that listening to Deep Purple can be bad for your driving licence? (Speed King, Highway Star etc)

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@rabski have you noticed that listening to Deep Purple can be bad for your driving licence? (Speed King, Highway Star etc)
My in-car CD collection is more varied these days, as I'm doing quite a lot of fairly long journeys for family reasons. However, I completely avoid anything in the 'driving rock' category for exactly that reason.

And for Colin: Threashold of a Dream was the first album I bought with my own money. I also still have it. Plus two more copies...

Reactions: greybeard

Von Krolock

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 30, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Easier to say what I don't like!

My record & CD collection contains:

• early music
  • renaissance
  • tudor
  • baroque
  • some classical
  • some folk
  • contemporary acoustic singer/songwriter
  • blues
  • jazz
  • hard rock
  • progressive rock
  • jazz-rock
  • reggae
  • some pop

It would have included my late father's Beethoven LPs but my mum disposed of them not knowing of my interest (I'd already rescued all the Bach Handel and Vivaldi).

It does not (and never will) include rap, hip-hop, and what is called "r&b" (but which has nothing to do with the rhythm & blues I'm used to)

Lovely list  - and the italicised caveats are understandable  :) .

Held against a wall it would be listening to Mr.Lifeson. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Mid 60’s-mid 70’s Classic Rock, plus garage bands and one hit wonders from that era.

Progressive Rock, Psychedelic Rock Jazz Rock, Yacht Rock, Hard Rock, Folk Rock, Alternative Rock.

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'll have to go with Indie

Bunnymen, Cure, Teardrops, Copey, HMHB, stone roses, talking heads, smiths, Johnny Marr, Mozzer, for today anyway

Stargazer

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 16, 2015
Devon
AKA
Victor
With my genres of music to date it would be more simple to say what I don't like.  In started of with contemporary music, pop music,  Beatles, Rock & Roll, in 70's into T.Rex (was a roadie for TRex for one evening..) Contemporary Rock music and spot of Wagner, in 80's basically the same, then in 90's onwards slowly but steadily my music tastes expanded to other genres music.  Now its open season with Asian and Arabic music thrown in (love Arabic instrumentals like discovering a new alcoholic drink, or new life even..)  Music for me is life in art form and for the parts I don't like is like tortious noise never to be repeated.... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.