Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is it only me that this happens to.........having got the system to sound good to my ears, after a month or so, i begin to think it doesnt sound as good as it did. Is it just a case of ive had it for a while and am used to it, or, do you think a syatem can actually deteriorate in sound quality? (thus why so many are always upgrading)

Before you say im mental, i had a chat with a guy in the cable/fitration side of things who put to me a theory about cabling which lead me to ask this question, it seems to make sense what he told me,without mebeing able to go into a lot of detail, he said how, after a while so called quality mains cables can actually make a system sound poor by comparison to a short time before the cable was used.

Well boys, whats your thoughts?

PS, whilst experimenting, i tried a Quonduit block, which imo, made no difference,and i also removed the M5abv, and, after all the praise i gave it earlier, i believ the system sounded better without it this time round!!!! Again, your thoughts lads.

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
unfortunately, I'm afraid you are just mental
tongue.png
biggrin.png

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You get used to it ya wassock, the next time you get one of these urges, pop down to dixons or comet or wherever is handy with a fairly complex CD. Stock it in one the 'hi-fi's' on sale, listen to a track or two. Hasten home-stick it in your system, sit back and think, aahhhhhh thank **** for that.

(either that or my system is shite

- i'll buy an alba)

tongue.png

icehockeyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
dudywoxer wrote:

You get used to it ya wassock, the next time you get one of these urges, pop down to dixons or comet or wherever is handy with a fairly complex CD. Stock it in one the 'hi-fi's' on sale, listen to a track or two. Hasten home-stick it in your system, sit back and think, aahhhhhh thank **** for that. (either that or my system is shite

- i'll buy an alba)

tongue.png
Of course my system will sound better than owt Dixons or the like has to offer, but surely its more than ive just become accustomed to its sound, that makes me wonder.

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
icehockeyboy wrote:

dudywoxer wrote:
You get used to it ya wassock, the next time you get one of these urges, pop down to dixons or comet or wherever is handy with a fairly complex CD. Stock it in one the 'hi-fi's' on sale, listen to a track or two. Hasten home-stick it in your system, sit back and think, aahhhhhh thank **** for that. (either that or my system is shite

- i'll buy an alba)

tongue.png
Of course my system will sound better than owt Dixons or the like has to offer, but surely its more than ive just become accustomed to its sound, that makes me wonder.
Sometimes I think my system sounds average and I wonder what got me so excited the night before. I suspect others are the same. Then, the next night it'll be sounding sweet again. It's all in the mind, how stressed or relaxed you are. Listening at night is better as previously discussed. I don't think you'll ever be totally happy with your system though ICE.
biggrin.png

icehockeyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yeh, but i was Injector, i really was happy with it. Still odd though, that a filter i had in place that i swore made it sound better, i now have removed, and i think it sounds better without it!:Not Sure:

mosfet

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Richard
Imagine, Imagine, Imagine a Storeeee

Fans of CBeebies will recognise this. Blue Cow rocks.
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif
:^

Dannish

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Basingstoke, , Unite
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I always thought the quality of the mains was variable:?. Maybe its this? When i have a beer or 3, my systemsounds better:D. Why worry:cool:

dudywoxer

Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There are certain times when what ever we do is wrong, not as good, whichever way you want to put it, your favourite scotch isnt as good, the wine's not the same, thats just life and us. Some days my system sounds spot on, other 's it;s not quiet so good. Somedays that's me. some days it may the power supply, I have europes largest steel mill not far down the road, and they must make a difference. But It is more to do with us, and our acceptence of how it sounds. We talk about warm up times, but it could just as easily be us warming down, shitty day at work, bad drive home, spat with the wife, fall out with the sprogs. All of these things can change our perception. 2 albums in ive normally forgoten about the hi fi, I'm just into the music

. Is your 'not as good' i'll tinker, really a ive not relaxed as much yet.

G

it sounds different depending on how you feel i think. if i'm in a good mood( which is very very rare:p) the system begins to sound great but if i'm in rudolph hucker mode( most of the time) then it sounds:td:.

Sony6million

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
United Kingdom
The sound you hear soon becomes the norm and almost seems avaerage, or a standard. You could listen to a 100k system everyday for 5 years and it would sound average by the end. You become accustomed to and familiar with the sound. You don’t continue to be blown away by the sound like you were thre 1st time you heard it in the demo room. You start to wonder if there is anything better out there. Maybe that’s why some of us are box swappers
icon_redface.gif.eb51a1f92a0314cdfc14dd3cb4473da1.gif
– looking for the buzz an upgrade gives us. That’s not to say a system you keep still wont make music. If put together correctly your foot will still tap and the sound will be enjoyable. But I think it is impossible to be continually amazed by your system when you hear it day after day.

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
Ice ole fella' - I'm with most peoples opinions that you just get used to what you have (I find it is the same with most things in life like cars phones etc - you get used to a level and then want more).

I've gone back to my system of 3 years ago and I can honestly tell you I love the sound more now than at any point during the last 2 years of upgrading etc. - figure that one out :Not Sure:

P

purplepleaser

Hi Ice

I think that you are going to have to spend some serious dosh.Not that your system is rubbish but you are in and around the same price bracket as before.

Think big upgrades,think long term.

Or just buy some new music,then your system will never sound the same all the time:roll:

And DEMO DEMO DEMO AND DEMO before buying.

Lee

dudywoxer

Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
gsrai wrote:

Ice ole fella' - I'm with most peoples opinions that you just get used to what you have (I find it is the same with most things in life like cars phones etc - you get used to a level and then want more).I've gone back to my system of 3 years ago and I can honestly tell you I love the sound more now than at any point during the last 2 years of upgrading etc. - figure that one out :Not Sure:
Have you gone 'back' to a system that plays music, and bugger the Hi-Fi?

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
dudywoxer wrote:

Have you gone 'back' to a system that plays music, and bugger the Hi-Fi?
For me - yup, bugger the hifi bit!

I got so fed up with tweaking pre/power, biamping, interconnects, power leads(even tried a little vinyl) - life's too short
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

My current rig is the same one I bought some 4-5 years ago with the only difference being the PMC's (an absolute gem, thanks Earl!) and do you know what, I luv the music!

The only thing I want is an X-A200R as my X-A2 is remoteless and the X-A200R is the X-A2 with a remote - anyone got one PLEASE!

icehockeyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Some interesting thoughts boys! thanks, one observation ive made is that my Pioneer plasma (ok, were off the subject a little here!) astounds me every time i view it, and ive had that 8 months without wanting to swop! So, i dont think its just a case of im used to it.

GS, ive often thought about "going back" but dunno if i have the balls!
biggrin.png

Purple,you re right in theory re the prices, but in actual fact the 2 items that are comparable in cost to the now gone MF kit, are sooo far superior, you really do have to compare them to kit that is , i would say, at least twice the price.( i have compared stuff in the shops at that price range, and in all honesty believe that statement!)

So, why do i now find the M5ABV to be not as good as i did when i first wired it in? i loved it, i really did, but as i said earlier, when i removed it, i believe the sound was superior, someone suggested it might have been starving the amp of power, so with that in mind i just connected it to the cd and pre, but it wasnt until i took it out completely, that i thought? i heard a difference,an imrovement.

And why is it the improvement the Lyngdorf bough to tha party, is no longer as noticeable? Could that be a case of "familiarity breeds contempt?"

Maybe it is me, maybe i am mental!!!
biggrin.png

P

purplepleaser

Hi

Maybe the reason i don't getbored to the sound of my system is that i buy so much music that its completely different everyday. Or i was bought the right equipment in the first place(lucky). I will change my speakers,i need more bass:D. and add a turntable of my own and then forget the Hifi bits until they break.

Lee:)

kingsxfan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Wirral
AKA
Phil
icehockeyboy wrote:

Is it only me that this happens to.........having got the system to sound good to my ears, after a month or so, i begin to think it doesnt sound as good as it did. Is it just a case of ive had it for a while and am used to it, or, do you think a syatem can actually deteriorate in sound quality? (thus why so many are always upgrading)Before you say im mental, i had a chat with a guy in the cable/fitration side of things who put to me a theory about cabling which lead me to ask this question, it seems to make sense what he told me,without mebeing able to go into a lot of detail, he said how, after a while so called quality mains cables can actually make a system sound poor by comparison to a short time before the cable was used.

Well boys, whats your thoughts?

PS, whilst experimenting, i tried a Quonduit block, which imo, made no difference,and i also removed the M5abv, and, after all the praise i gave it earlier, i believ the system sounded better without it this time round!!!! Again, your thoughts lads.
Your suffering from hi-fi-itis. Seek help, a good stint a the mercy of your walkman/iPod etc will soon have you ship-shape again. Remember the music and forget the kit....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles