meg

Wammer
New Wammer
Aug 4, 2005
glasgow, , United Ki
AKA
mark
Hi All

Have been interested in broadening my knowledge on vinyl not sure if I will take the plunge but would like a few questions answered by the forums vinyl users.

I know lots of you buy from charity shops and I know there are a few web dealers on vinyl but what surprises me as that in a few shops around Glasgow there is not a lot to choose from yet there seems to new releases coming out according to the hi fi mags.

1 Whats the diffence in vinyl pressings for example I have heard of 180 gram are these the ones to look for?

2 About 10 years ago some moron stole my original Dark Side of the Moon LP but actually left me the cover, is the original pressing still made or is it charity shops eBay etc for any chance of buying it?

3 Is the 30th anniversary pressing any different to the quality of the original?

4 Are there any recommended shops around Glasgow to have a browse through?

5 Are there major differences in pressings made in different countries say UK USA & EUROPE?

Mark

chezi61

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Fife , Scotland.
Hiya Meg ,

180gm pressings are sometimes found as the standard issue , but specials are available at premium price.

I don't think DSOTM is available as the original pressing as there are 4 or more different issues of the album. 30th anniversary pressing is quite good , heavy vinyl , posters and stickers , Diverse vinyl will sell you a copy of this for £10 +pp.

As for Glasgow , PM Snapperas he knows possibly every vinyl shop in the city , I only know of Foppnot a large selection but not too bad , HMV again not a large selection unless buying online , Avalanche Records at the side ofQueen St station is good.

I've never found a lot of difference in pressings from different countries , but can add to thatpressings available now are a lot better than in the 80's when they became almost flexi discs.

Hope this helps , but in all honesty Snapper knows a whole lot more than me about vinyl.

chezi.

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
I've had some really nice pressings from Germany over the years. Japanaese vinyl is almost always dead silent and the best I hav e found. They only generally press half the number we do off a plate before it goes in the bin.

Sometimes they are mastered again for the japanese market and can have the vocals kicked back in the mix somewhat.

I'm getting increasingly fed up with liars on eBay and am on the verge of actually killing someone.

Charity shops are good for classical and 80's, I can recoemdn audiophileuse.com and really not recomend eil.com

chezi61

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Fife , Scotland.
Ant wrote:

and really not recomend eil.com
Yeah me neither , greedy bastirts IMO.
angry_smile.gif.8c0f636dd68eb7da5c2577e161ee9e27.gif

chezi.

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
It comes in black and other colours also if you put a record in a hot oven it makes a very nice plant pot holder in a couple of minutes

leave it in any longer and the house starts to smell

they also make much better music than cds a decent second hand lp12 mc costing say £700 should see off a cd player costing twice as much
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

if you get fed up of records and have the radio or cd player on you can always throw pots
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
on it
wink.png

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
and really not recomend eil.com
I have had in the past had a few bargins, but must admit these days they are getting greedy

must be them expensive laptops their buyers take around the second hand shops
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ant... what sort of eBay probs? I've never bought there so I'm ignorant... is it a quality description issue?

chezi61

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Fife , Scotland.
I've never had any probs buying vinyl , or anything to that matter ,from eBay.

Touch wood.
pray.gif.84955f3b1709939cd9186fd2e3d88a8e.gif

Some good vinyl to be had for cheap , Ian Dury and the Blockheads ; New boots and panties , gold vinyl for £6.50 and it was minted :)Gilles Peterson ; Worldwide Prog 1 , 3 x Lp £7.00 brand new.:DTo name but a few.:lwink:

chezi.

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
Items described as Mint or near NM with people saying they have used the record collector guide to condition. they turn up with all sorts of scuffs and rubs.

I'm really fed up with it.

EIL's record have all been cleaned badly and are not graded by ear (for obvious reasons)

Absoltue shite everyone I've heard.

meg

Wammer
New Wammer
Aug 4, 2005
glasgow, , United Ki
AKA
mark
Thanks for all the replies this info will give me a few places to visit and keep the interest going.

I am not certain that I will enter the world of vinyl but now I have a starting point so who knows.

Mark

jonjin

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
London
Aarrgghh! The whole thing is in French... and what is an mpc file anyways? Sure looks interesting though.

JJ

Stuckinarut

One of the first
Wammer
Aug 9, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you've got a Google toolbar installed you can right click on a web page and select "Translate into english"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.