ipod based system for errant daughter

G

Unlike the Misses my daughter likes listening to music and has been excited for some time about having her own hi fi set up in her bedroom. However, due to peer pressure I reckon that I may need to build something around an ipod?
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

At the moment she has an old Denon DCD1000 cd player (which is narrow and black) and a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 8.1s in a cherry finish. Rather than going for an ipod docking system can someone suggest a suitable amp to hold everything together. The amp and cd player will be going onto a modern style corner unit, so the amp needs to be narrow (Cyrus spring to mind!)and obviously needs to be able to accommodate said ipod...

Also, any suggestions for the ipod???
71_71.gif.3e6d891ee0cc25b2acfe143a79a91cc1.gif

Nick

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 23, 2005
Edinburgh, , United
An Onkyo CR715 with a DS2 ipod dock should fit the bill. Not the end of the world in money and has DAB radio as well as a CD. Will work a treat with the diamonds or with the cash saved you could get some new speaks. You can also get a USB adaptor to plug into your pc that will stream directly to the 715.

We have one in the house and the sound on some Usher 520's and the sound is worringly good for the money.

http://www.eu.onkyo.com/products/product_en_4432088.html

http://www.eu.onkyo.com/products/product_en_4499794.html

Nick

Matt J

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 7, 2006
Not Derbyshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What about a matching Denon amp? depending on what you want to spend theres plenty of cheap PMA-225/250's on the Bay, they should be more than upto the job, then its a case of a 3.5mm headphone jack to RCA lead and she's away!!

keeper

Wammer
New Wammer
Apr 8, 2007
, ,
Said iPod which have a PC that feeds it.

I have my PC with sound blaster sound card.

I use the digital output from that linked into my HK

970 CDP.....

Sounds far better than via an ipod....

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Matt J wrote:

What about a matching Denon amp? depending on what you want to spend theres plenty of cheap PMA-225/250's on the Bay, they should be more than upto the job, then its a case of a 3.5mm headphone jack to RCA lead and she's away!!
goodpost.gif.00822561e807cf35c79b3503f2e609d0.gif
or a pioneer A400 or a Rotel Integrated.

My daughter has her ipod fed into a Pioneer a400 this way. A400 has lots of inputs too :nerd:

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
Dude

This is the one:

http://www.fat-man.co.uk/docs/product/itube_1.htm

http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/fatman_itube.shtml?gshop&gclid=CK2VjqfasYwCFQ8JEAodtwL9JA

looks grat has an extra phono input for the CD player and ran some B&W 602 S3's with ease.

Also has a remote which controls the Ipod Dock - I so want one just to look at and price is quite reasonable!

Failing that an MF X-80 is quite neat and small and can be had for c.£250.

I also have a TEAC DVD all in one that cost £300 - MP3/DVD/CD/DAB - very sweet little thing!

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind

icehockeyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Gobind, thats a lot for a used X80, bearing in mind i paid £220 for mine brand new! Apart from that, get a normal amp sorted, and instead of shelling out loads on a dedicated i pod amp dock why not just buy a genuine Apple ir dock £25, and remote £19, and a decentish 3.5mm jack to twin rca, thats what i have connecting mine in the main set up, and it sounds great

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
icehockeyboy wrote:

Gobind, thats a lot for a used X80, bearing in mind i paid £220 for mine brand new! Apart from that, get a normal amp sorted, and instead of shelling out loads on a dedicated i pod amp dock why not just buy a genuine Apple ir dock £25, and remote £19, and a decentish 3.5mm jack to twin rca, thats what i have connecting mine in the main set up, and it sounds great
Cos the fatman looks cool fella and you gott ahear the bae one - for £300 it's a fine amp!

X80's still for for £250 ish last I looked!

icehockeyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
gsrai wrote:

icehockeyboy wrote:
Cos the fatman looks cool fella and you gott ahear the bae one -
British Aerospace do a version?
biggrin.png

G

Hey, thanks for the suggestions - looks like we can use the ipod into an amp as long as you have the correct connector - for some reason I thought compatability would be an issue...

The Onkyo stuff looks ok and at least theyare thinking about integrating ipods with a 'better' system

If it were me I woudl try the valve route though not sure if this would earn any street cred for my daughter - I noticed one at work - not fatman but something like HTC(?) from Korea - looks rather nice as well...

Cheers

Uncle Ants

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2005
East Midlands, Unite
AKA
Tony
gsrai wrote:

Tony - now why on earth did you have to show me that
angry_smile.gif.8c0f636dd68eb7da5c2577e161ee9e27.gif
smile.png
Have you heard - what would you put it up against please tell me more
biggrin.png
Cos its cool of course
smile.png
I have heard it but have to confess to being no expert as to what other amps in this sort of price range sound like. Played into the Yamaha NS1000Msfrom an iPod, the NAS and a Rotel CDP it sounded rather good, no nasties or roughness. Sort of thing I could listen to for hours. We did manage to get fairly neighbour frightening noise levels out of it

As to stret cred among teenagers, I know what you mean Starmist. They might rather like the magic eye "power meter" valve thingy though
smile.png

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
icehockeyboy wrote:

Tony, where abouts in the neighbourhood are you?
Craig

If you click on Uncle Ants name then you can visit his homepage
wink.png

Tony, do you know if the remote controls all ofthe stereo inputs and the volume control (the previous one only controlled the ipod volume)

icehockeyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
gsrai wrote:

icehockeyboy wrote:
Tony, where abouts in the neighbourhood are you?
Craig

If you click on Uncle Ants name then you can visit his homepage
wink.png

Tony, do you know if the remote controls all ofthe stereo inputs and the volume control (the previous one only controlled the ipod volume)
Blimey Tony, you're less than a mile away from me!
smile.png

Uncle Ants

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2005
East Midlands, Unite
AKA
Tony
gsrai wrote:

CraigIf you click on Uncle Ants name then you can visit his homepage
wink.png

I can't be 100% sure as I didn't use it ... it does control the volume for all of them now - but don't think you can use it for source switching.

Craig ... in Stapleford (edit ... ah yes I see you worked it out. I guess you must be in Sandicare, Stapleford or Bramcote)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online