HiFi Trade
Jun 17, 2023
exdem.com
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I'm on a Sugden A21a and an MF M3i .. I play my guitars through a 1965 Vox AC30, handwired, point to point. I would like to play my 45 years of vinyl through something worthy. I do like the Sugden, but I suspect there is better.

Reactions: hiesteem

Steveh

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 3, 2007
Darkest Yorkshire
AKA
tallow vendor
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There are many on here that wouldn't touch Chord amps with a gloved bargepole:D.
I have had Chord amplification (pre+power) since 2009, and a Chord Dac(Qutest) since 2021. Expensive? Yes but it is a relative term. IMHO what one gets is an amp which is transparent, powerful, exceptionally well built and reliable.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm on a Sugden A21a and an MF M3i .. I play my guitars through a 1965 Vox AC30, handwired, point to point. I would like to play my 45 years of vinyl through something worthy. I do like the Sugden, but I suspect there is better.
What are you missing that you don’t get with the Sugden? What speakers are you using?

graham67

Wammer
Wammer
May 19, 2010
The sugden a21 is a mighty fine amp but needs careful partnering. It certainly isn't pipe and slippers having a very transparent and revealing presentation with the right speakers. But with speakers that are a tougher drive it can all go horribly wrong particularly at the bottom end. Sugden like speakers with a benign higher impedance load. They don't need to be super efficient but avoid anything with big impedance dips.
So in an sympathetic setup you may find that chord amps will be unable to achieve what your a21 can do. However it all depends on what you partner it with.

• Upvote
Reactions: savvypaul

Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton
Wammer
Jan 30, 2019
Nowhere in Particular
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There are many on here that wouldn't touch Chord amps with a gloved bargepole:D.
I have had Chord amplification (pre+power) since 2009, and a Chord Dac(Qutest) since 2021. Expensive? Yes but it is a relative term. IMHO what one gets is an amp which is transparent, powerful, exceptionally well built and reliable.
I use Chord DAC + amplification and it works a treat - delighted with it.

Reactions: Steveh and hiesteem

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Buy another AC30 and a decent preamp and there ya goes - a nice valve stereo system perhaps a bit lacking at the top but pretty good over the rest of the spectrum.

In all seriousness if you love the sound of the AC30 with your guitar then I doubt that the Chord stuff would float your boat - but a Prima Luna valve amp might just be the nirvana you seek

Reactions: hiesteem and bencat

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is Chord "a" go-to choice? Of course. Is it "the" go-to"? Nah, no such thing. That's like saying the LP12 is "the" go-to TT, just because it's popular. Everyone has their own ideas of what music they enjoy, how they like it presented, what their budget is, what their internal prejudices are, their preferences, etc. I know there are many many happy Chord owners but it's not a brand that would be on my radar if I was looking to change (again!)

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As I have yet to hear a chord amp in my system no sound quality comment . What I would say is you should hear an NVA amp . They are superb and best of all musical . Either the 300 integrated or S300 power amp would be a good start . It is only my guess but I think they would sound much better than the chords .

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would agree with uzzy and track down prima Luna as they have the point to point wiring to very good standard and a powerful solid presentation.

exdem

Mayor Of Simpleton
HiFi Trade
Jun 17, 2023
exdem.com
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I added an WiiM today so now have hi res from Qobuz ( was going through Chromecast Audio ). I didn't expect to be quite so overwhelmed (even though I plugged in a laptop to my dac from time to time to get hi-res) - It is like I have a private DJ playing my vinyl for me in the next room. The amp/speakers are dated - M3i/Jdlab - they sound great to me tbh . But then again I have never owned better either so I don't know .. 😀

Reactions: garn63 and DomT

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Your happiness is really the only thing that matters, regardless of the age of kit. Many people use vintage (AKA seriously ancient) audio equipment and a lot of that is still more than capable of giving incredible performance and a lot of pleasure. Other than suffering from "the itch" (curiosity) there's really no need to change anything, unless dissatisfaction creeps in, or a failure that cannot be repaired occurs.

exdem

Mayor Of Simpleton
HiFi Trade
Jun 17, 2023
exdem.com
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I wish I had my A21a with me to compare to the M3i or even an another MF integrated. Never listened to Naim / Supernait either. So the question was I suppose what happens after these types of integrateds - there must be an upgrade path? Is the move to pre/power (or valves) noticeable when the rest of the gear is modest. I know from my guitar amps that expensive gear is usually expensive for a reason - thinking point-to-point, hand-wired tube amps - they cost a lot - but sound great and are just about obligatory for pro musicians.

I, and perhaps most people, don't know something is better until they hear it .. !

Reactions: DomT

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
One question to ask yourself I would suggest is if you have any plans or expectations to upgrade the rest of your system? The issue with changing one component - an amp, say, is that while it might bring you an improvement, it might equally unbalance your system, highlighting other deficiencies elsewhere that previously went unnoticed. Then you end up changing your speakers, your TT, your cabling, until you end up finding that balance again, albeit at a higher price / performance point.

That said, looking at your kit list, it's not budget stuff. You have some lovely sources and speakers so you may find an improvement, or at least a different "flavour" with a change of amp. Nothing wrong with scratching an itch, just be aware that you might end up scratching more than you thought!

Moving to a pre / power (or pre / monos) combo is often the way people go but there are equally some mega-integrateds out there - Luxman for example, that will show a clean pair of heels to a modest pre / power setup.

Reactions: JustinTime

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I like vintage say beyond 30 years .. but you can still get a. quality ten grand amp from 10 15 years ago that you can now pick up for the price of a new sugden .. I know where my money would go ..

exdem

Mayor Of Simpleton
HiFi Trade
Jun 17, 2023
exdem.com
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I like vintage say beyond 30 years .. but you can still get a. quality ten grand amp from 10 15 years ago that you can now pick up for the price of a new sugden .. I know where my money would go ..
I think that is where my heart is leading me .. does my A&R Cambridge A60 count? :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles