Question Is this a huge gamble?

A question.

Cohen The Barbarian

Wammer
Dec 21, 2023
Chorley,Lancs
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have the chance of a pair of used PMC 5.23s to replace my aging but faithful GB1's. Currently using an MF X150 amp, Exposure XM3 phono stage from a heavy Lenco with origin onyx arm and Hana SL cart.
The problem for me is the they are at the other end of the country so I can't have a listen first. I've read plenty but the opinion seems to sway bewtween brilliant and rather 'bright'. Any current or ex owners on here care to chip in?

Reactions: MVJ

Ray Vardy

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 18, 2018
Planet Earth
raysplace.com
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Clearly they have 'spiked your interest' as you've posted this elsewhere 😬

I know nothing about the gear so if I was looking to take a punt myself I would simply do it on the numbers (most importantly, if I don't like, can I sell on covering my costs..)

Good luck.

Cohen The Barbarian

Wammer
Dec 21, 2023
Chorley,Lancs
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Clearly they have 'spiked your interest' as you've posted this elsewhere 😬

I know nothing about the gear so if I was looking to take a punt myself I would simply do it on the numbers (most importantly, if I don't like, can I sell on covering my costs..)

Good luck.
They have and at a decent price as well. I am definitely sorely tempted. I'm thinking I might upgrade the amp as well mid next year

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've had the standmount version ( 5.22s )for a short period , I loved them but they were too big for my room , I really wanted the 5.23s but none on offer at the time .
They are very detailed , that is what I like .

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Speakers, their interaction with the room, your system and your preferences are all variables that only you can assess. If the price is right just buy them and try for some weeks and sell on if they don't work for you.
Definitely this, if your cash flow allows you to keep both for a while.

Must admit I'm not a fan of the GB1, although I do like PMC's more upmarket models I've heard, so for me most things would be an upgrade!

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have the chance of a pair of used PMC 5.23s to replace my aging but faithful GB1's. Currently using an MF X150 amp, Exposure XM3 phono stage from a heavy Lenco with origin onyx arm and Hana SL cart.
The problem for me is the they are at the other end of the country so I can't have a listen first. I've read plenty but the opinion seems to sway bewtween brilliant and rather 'bright'. Any current or ex owners on here care to chip in?
I went thru a long period of looking for a speaker that worked in my music room and speakers I thought would work just did'nt so got sold on.

I kept trying & finally got some Event Opals that are perfect what I'm trying to say is in my opinion the room is the biggest factor & if you don't try you'll never know.

If they are a good price go for it👍

Reactions: tonee73 and Gizza

Sumdumgi

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 4, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have the Twenty5. 23 and have had them since new. I've always liked them but like every bit of kit people use on the Wam everything has their supporters and their critics. (I previously had the FB1i)

I don't find them bright at all, in my system they are well-balanced, detailed and have plenty of bass when you need it. I'm using a Pathos Logos which is obviously a hybrid and it has plenty of power. I'm not familiar with your Amp but the PMC 'house' sound is pretty standard throughout the range in my experience so if your amp performs well with the GB1s they 'should' be fine - sensitivity difference is very marginal beween the models. (The 25.23 are significantly better than the GB1 in every respect IMHO) ... as above the interaction in your room will be the key. The 25.3 is a relatively small floor stander. In height and width they are not much bigger than the GB1 but significantly deeper and they lean backwards as part of the design brief. I have mine toed in relatively near side walls and corners without issues.

It's going to be a case of suck it and see, there is no other way of finding out but you shouldn't have much trouble moving them on if they don't appeal.

Ray Vardy

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 18, 2018
Planet Earth
raysplace.com
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I went thru a long period of looking for a speaker that worked in my music room and speakers I thought would work just did'nt so got sold on.

I kept trying & finally got some Event Opals that are perfect what I'm trying to say is in my opinion the room is the biggest factor & if you don't try you'll never know.

If they are a good price go for it👍
Dead on, at least in my experience. Unfortunately I bought the speakers (on name and price!) without having a clue about room interaction, baptism of fire sort of thing, eventually resolved by the successful application of the room correction software inbuilt in my Streamer!

Ray Vardy

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 18, 2018
Planet Earth
raysplace.com
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the advice all, I think I'll take the gamble. At the end of the day there's only one way to find out 😎👍
Do it! My bet you win no matter what the outcome (day out to collect meet the owner etc, the excitement of setup and so on and on) keep us posted! Happy Speaker Day 😁

Reactions: Ady and Lawrence001

meracus

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2009
, ,
You could know a. Lot more if you can find polar response / directivity graph / radiation pattern and expected FR in room or spinorama results
… this way you won’t go by the usual bullshit that plague mags and stuff like myths about better soundstage and anecdotal wax lyrical reports that mean nothing like liquid midrange and organic bass

Reactions: Nestor Turton

Heckyman

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 15, 2011
West Yorks
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yep , interested. I'd pm but haven't found out how yet, maybe as a newbie i'm not allowed to do that? Obvious questions like age condition etc
No worries, I'll just put up a thread in the classifieds for transparency and send you a PM. I also don't want to upset anyone by posting in the wrong section.

Cohen The Barbarian

Wammer
Dec 21, 2023
Chorley,Lancs
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As one Renee Artois once said ' you see before you an appy man'
Collected the new 5.23 speakers yesterday, many thanks to Hecky for a. Excellent coffee and b. Spending time demoing various amps particularly the Sugden ANV 50.
Now set up and doing what they do best in the background. I can't put my finger on any one thing but there's an extra warmth and depth to the music. The little X150 seems a good match for PMC speakers, wonder what an M5si or M6si would sound like.
Anyway here they are........😎

newPmc.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online