JamPal Bake off Report

Hawk

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Herts, United Kingdo
It was a shame I had to miss the curry, babysitter was pulling her hair out by the time I got back
biggrin.png
:D:D

Any of you guys going to Heathrow next week?

istari knight

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2005
South downs
AKA
James
Biscuit wrote:

the cd was: Ove-Naxx - Bullets from Habikino City and the track was 'Wasabi Violence'
biggrin.png

if anybody wants to buy it, there is one left at Amazon, but the record label has sold out
42.gif.6d63386a5269ceda16cdf2e3fe89de81.gif
. The rest of the cd gets better and better IMO, first track is just a warmup
wink.png

Also played:

Richard Thompson - Live in Austin Tx

Beastie Boys - Pauls Boutique
Seems pretty good - sorry but i just bagged the last copy ! :dude:

Offers over £30 will be considered though
tongue.png

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
hifiwigwam wrote: Oh and different transports made no difference that we could hear.

meninblack wrote: My DVD player acquitted itself surprisingly well, too. We played DSOTM on hybrid SACD, initially on the 2-channel SACD layer which sounded just awful (straight after the Victor ). OK, we said, maybe DVD's just can't cut it. Then we tried the Redbook CD layer and the sound got about a thousand times better. Awfully close to the Copland, IMO, although not threatening the Meridian, Naim or Victor. So it's better on CD than SACD, which is exactly the opposite of WTF?'s test result. Should have expected that, really.

Biscuit wrote: Biggest shock was just how shite SACD sounded on MIB's Pioneer DVDP. Very respectable on redbook though - probably the match of many £700 cdps.

Excellent reading chaps, 2 things stood up for me though, Could you fine chaps clarify what you heard difference wise with the blind testing of the CD/DVD transports ? Just looks like a one liner that has been posted about it and I for one would love to hear your thoughts.

Did you really think MIBs DVD player was the match for similarly pricec CD players ? Was it a nice sounding CDP then in its own right ?

E

Effem

If I read it correctly Colin there wasn't any sort oftest blind or otherwisecomparing transports during the bakeoff - time and enthusiasm ran away with them as usual
biggrin.png

Even on a casual subjective level if I read it correctlyit didn't bring out a chasm of instantly recognisable difference between a DVD player and a redbook only player

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Effem wrote:

If I read it correctly Colin there wasn't any sort oftest blind or otherwisecomparing transports during the bakeoff - time and enthusiasm ran away with them as usual
biggrin.png
Even on a casual subjective level if I read it correctlyit didn't bring out a chasm of instantly recognisable difference between a DVD player and a redbook only player
You're correct Frank, we got carried away listening to tunes and couldn't be arsed to do the Blind Transport test.

Meninblack's Pioneer DVD player was a pretty decent Redbook CD player. It didn't compare favourably to the Naim, Victor or Meridian IMO. Wasn't t too far off the Copland - although you could hear the difference. I reckonit wouldn't be too far off a new £700 CDP in performance terms.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
cjr wrote:

Did you really think MIBs DVD player was the match for similarly pricec CD players ? Was it a nice sounding CDP then in its own right ?
Really just reinforced my previous view, CJ. I have a number of CD players knocking about the house :oops:and the DV-989 sounds nicer than my Marantz (CD63 MkII KI) and Technics (cheap old thing) players, but was pipped by the now-sold Cyrus CD8x.

A "high-end" CDP willmurder it though - and you would hope so, considering the price differential! That is the challenge for my next dedicated CDP: it's got to really kick the arse of the Pioneer. The Cyrus was just not quite convincing enough in this department, so it's history! The DVD is now my main source until I replace the Cyrus, and it's a worthy short-term stand-in.

Testure

Clean gloves hide dirty hands
Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Looks like a great bakeoff guys
smile.png
. Had the feeling the transport test would slip the order ofpriorities
wink.png
. Interesting to read how Naim doesn't like Arcs, or should that be the other way around
tongue.png

Testy

P.S. I think Papa made up for Earl's conservative top today:D

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
Interesting MIB – I note the comments about it being close to the Copland (a CDP brand I quite like actually), what did you guys do with the transports for James to note “no differenceâ€.

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
cjr wrote:

Interesting MIB – I note the comments about it being close to the Copland (a CDP brand I quite like actually), what did you guys do with the transports for James to note “no differenceâ€.
James noted no difference to appease you chaps. We didn't actually do the test - just couldn't be bothered once we got the system singing.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
cjr wrote:

Interesting MIB – I note the comments about it being close to the Copland (a CDP brand I quite like actually)
The Pioneer and the Copland were both slightly on the cool side of neutral, with the Copland taking the honours (just) for detail retrieval and bass weight. The Victor was extremely neutral and seemd to have no vices at all. The Meridianhad a much warmer presentation which gelled very well with the excitable Arcs.

The Naim was.....Naim.
wink.png

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
Papa Lazarou wrote:

cjr wrote:
James noted no difference to appease you chaps. We didn't actually do the test - just couldn't be bothered once we got the system singing.
Papa, no appeasement is required apologies for asking, just that it was mentioned you guys would be doing a blind test of CD transports during the bake-off, James noted he heard no difference (thus I assumed a test of some sort had taken place), was just asking for a little more detail of what you did with regard to the transports.

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
cjr wrote:

Papa Lazarou wrote:
cjr wrote:
Papa, no appeasement is required apologies for asking, just that it was mentioned you guys would be doing a blind test of CD transports during the bake-off, James noted he heard no difference (thus I assumed a test of some sort had taken place), was just asking for a little more detail of what you did with regard to the transports.
No worries CJ. Basically we didn't use a single external DAC all day - just one box CDPs and MIB's DVD player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.