halx00

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 24, 2007
wirral cheshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi All,

I have these Kefkit 3 for sale, they are dated 1974.

I really want to make some BBC LS3/5a monitors using the T27 and B110, but I could be still thinking about it years down the line.

I could build some nice boxes and see what they sound like as is.

So thought someone might be able to do something with them now.

These have all the kit parts, grills etc..

These will be a pig to post but could split..etc

£250

Duncan

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
These kits make up the 104. and as such are pretty good. The 104s were replaced by the 104ab which as I understand it had a different crossover, but for me the real attraction of this is that by removing the passive crossover, they could be made into a REALLY good pair of actives.

Another possibility is to use the drivers in a Radford Transmission-Line cabinet....and active too

S

halx00

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 24, 2007
wirral cheshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think these are based on the Kef Concerto, which is a three way system.

The Kef 104 was a two way system with a passive unit, but I could be wrong.

This Kit has all active drivers.

Duncan

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry to disagree with you serge, but I think you will find that these were in the Concerto, the 104's used the B200 and a passive radiator, which was of course adequate ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Damn beaten to it!!

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think these are based on the Kef Concerto, which is a three way system.The Kef 104 was a two way system with a passive unit, but I could be wrong.

This Kit has all active drivers.

Duncan
Whoops, you're right, my mistake :oops: .

In many respects, even better. The concertos were the first proper HiFi loudspeaker I was exposed to as my school had a pair in the music room (driven by a Leak Stereo 30 and GL75).

Would still make an interesting active project, either as a bass reflex or Transmission Line.

S

Radioham

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 8, 2010
Peterborough.
AKA
Alan Ralph
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There is quite a bit more to the ls3/5a than the two drivers.Kef graded the drivers for various models, less than 50% made it into the batch to be selected for the bbc spec, the rejects then went into the c series and non measured ones went into the kef kits. The crossover for the ls3/5a is also very complex compared to the standard kef offering.

Btw my shool in kent also had cadenza, leak amp and goldring deck.I wonder if it was standard issue from kent county supplies catalogue.We also had a ferrograph series 7. The lowfi offering was a Goodsell record player with bsr deck.

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There is quite a bit more to the ls3/5a than the two drivers.Kef graded the drivers for various models, less than 50% made it into the batch to be selected for the bbc spec, the rejects then went into the c series and non measured ones went into the kef kits. The crossover for the ls3/5a is also very complex compared to the standard kef offering.
About the only good thing about the LS3/5a was its consistency. You could pick any two units from any batch, however far apart in serial number and use them as a stereo pair. However, that consistency did not a good loudspeaker make. They were fine for their intended purpose, speech monitoring in restricted places like Outside Broadcast vehicles or sitting on a filing cabinet in an office, but for music monitoring, they were terrible things.

Why they're so popular is one of earth's mysteries, even more so why anyone would want to make a pair.

Oh well.......

PS apologies, shouldn't use a sales thread for a discussions. Gettingnbackmto the KefKit, well worth having.

S

Radioham

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 8, 2010
Peterborough.
AKA
Alan Ralph
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Agreed keep as kef kit, or find some concerto with tatty drivers,or cabinets only and transplant the drivers.not so long a go there was a guy on eBay selling s pair of pairs nos cabinets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online