Khadas Tone 1 USB External DAC

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m presently using one of these with my Linux OS PC into my Icon Audio Stereo 25 Mk11.

Some questions;
  • What other USB DAC, particularly HI-Res would be recommended, budget up to £150. To work on Linux OS
  • I was using a Cambridge Audio DacMagic100, which appeared to develop a fault with the USB B Socket.
  • What is a better connection; USB B or USB C.

DG…

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Topping D10 at the lowest end. I don’t know how much D30’s are.
What was the problem with the DACMagic100?
USB B is appropriate for proper full sized cable. I’d only use C for mobile use.

Reactions: DiggyGun

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Topping D10 at the lowest end.

I had a quick look at the D10 and it looks quite nice.

One of the things I like about is that it is just a DAC, no additional headphone amplifier or other superfluous bits.

DG…

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The connection was intermittent. Cutting in and out. Tried a few cables and the same both from the phone and mobile.

DG…
The phone powers the USB input of the DAC and this can lead to problems. A powered hub between phone and DAC is the usual cure. Otherwise you should consider a mobile DAC designed for use with a portable device.

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The phone powers the USB input of the DAC and this can lead to problems. A powered hub between phone and DAC is the usual cure. Otherwise you should consider a mobile DAC designed for use with a portable device.
I recall it initially working with an iPhone using an OTG Cable adapter and a USB to USB B cable.

But not now. All that happens now, is that when plugged in, the phone plays through its internal speakers.

Playing around with the PC and DacMagic100, when the USB B cable is plugged in there is no sound, but when touched at a certain angle, can come to life.

Quickly whipped the cover off to see if there was a broken cable or dry joint, but can’t actually see anything.

Looks like the DacMagic100 will now be going as WEEE Waste.

DG…

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looked at reviews and YouTube videos of the following Topping DACs;
  • D10
  • D10s
  • E30
  • E30ii

Chose the D10s in the end as a simple DAC only, with no additional bits, but Hi-Res. I actually like the look of the design of it to sit on the desktop.

Will be going into an Icon Audio Stereo 25 MkII valve integrated amplifier.

Will now sell the Khadas Tone 1 in its case to get some money back.

The Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100, as previously advised, will now go for WEEE waste. Shame as aesthetically, the case is in excellent condition.

Thanks for all your help

DG….

Gray

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 24, 2019
I would expect the Topping to be good (I own an A50S headphone amp of theirs).

However, I also own an original KTB.
I wouldn't bet any money on the D10 beating it (excluding how it looks).

Maybe you will find that it's audibly better 👍

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would expect the Topping to be good (I own an A50S headphone amp of theirs).

However, I also own an original KTB.
I wouldn't bet any money on the D10 beating it (excluding how it looks).

Maybe you will find that it's audibly better 👍

I can run both at the same time through the amplifier, so should be easy enough to do a comparison.

I will let you know.

DG…

Reactions: Gray

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Topping D10s has arrived and been installed.

Firstly, all works OK which is good. This proves that it was the USB B socket on the Cambridge Audio DacMagic100 was at fault.

Secondly, the PC is only playing at 44.1 kHz, even if the track is shown at a higher resolution. So I need to get someone to look at this.

I’ll play with it over the next few days. At the moment there isn’t much difference between this and the Khadas, perhaps the Khadas sounding marginally louder.

DG…

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I come to a decision about the Topping D10s after trying it out over the weekend.

It’s going back as it appears to be not as good as the Khadas Tone 1.

It is not as loud, that in itself is not a problem, but it is not as detailed as the Khadas.

You can hear so much more with the Khadas, which I must admit that I did find surprising, considering that the Topping is marked up as “Hi-Res”, whereas the Khadas is not.

At least this exercise has identified what the problem was with DacMagic 100.

Going to re-consider what I need for this system, which is my office system.

DG…

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A bit of background to my office system.

Initially it was just a headphone setup using a Helot valve headphone amp being fed by my iPhone.

The PC had its own active speaker system, a JBL Creature that I’d had for many years.

The Creature eventually stopped working and needed to be replaced. I now looked at having one system for both, rather than getting a new system just for the PC.

To that end, got an Icon Audio Stereo 25 MkII valve integrated amplifier, which had a headphone socket. Connected the PC to this using the Khadas Tone 1 and connected the iPhone using DacMagic 100. Added some Q Acoustics 2020i speakers to complete the system.

Now after a couple of years, I have found that don’t connect the iPhone anymore and just stream from the PC using Qobuz or Jazz24. It is also used for the general sound from the PC. Additionally, can’t recall when I last used the Focal Listen Pro headphones.

Now with the faulty DacMagic100 has made me consider as to how I use the system;
- Don’t use the headphones, so don’t need a headphone socket
- Can sell the headphones
- Only need one DAC
- The amp is really too big for the desk, need more real estate back
- Don’t need high end audio as is used for the PC sound and for background music when working in the office

So what are my options; Looking to get a smaller integrated amp after seeing the size of the Topping D10s. And don’t need a headphone socket?

So looking at smaller desktop amps and considering;
- iFi
- Topping
- SMSL

Also looking at getting an amp with a built in DAC. After doing some research, I like the look of the SMSL SA300. This has a built in DAC with a USB input and a RCA input, plus is titchy compared to the Icon Audio, even with speaker binding posts. The reviews I’ve seen on this do look rather good.

Part of the rationale behind this is, the PC can connect directly to the built in DAC. I can then compare this using the Khadas to see which is better. This way, I can also keep my existing cables which keeps some of the cost down.

If this doesn’t work out, next on the list is to try the Topping MX5 Amp / DAC.

If all works out OK, I should have;
- More desk top area
- Reasonable sound from the desktop system
- Sell the Icon Audio Stereo 25 MkII amp
- Sell the Khadas Tone 1 DAC
- Sell the Focal Listen Pro headphones

I must admit that I am enjoying playing around with this system, it is a bit of fun. Also it’s giving me the opportunity to re-organise my office desk and work space.

DG…

Last edited:
Reactions: Strider

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Depending on how much you want to spend I am going to make a suggestion which is frankly little short of shilling my own sale but I do think this might well be a solution you will like . I have a Geek Pulse Xfi Dac/Headphone amp for sale complete with full LSPU . The DAC is simiale size to the Jolida DACS so half size . This uses Sabre DACs like the Khardas and sounds better than the Khardas in my view . Only issue is currently it is on loan to @Lurch while his pimped Jolida gets even more pimped so not likely to be available until after christmas . I think it is worth consideration .

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I come to a decision about the Topping D10s after trying it out over the weekend.

It’s going back as it appears to be not as good as the Khadas Tone 1.

It is not as loud, that in itself is not a problem, but it is not as detailed as the Khadas.

You can hear so much more with the Khadas, which I must admit that I did find surprising, considering that the Topping is marked up as “Hi-Res”, whereas the Khadas is not.

At least this exercise has identified what the problem was with DacMagic 100.

Going to re-consider what I need for this system, which is my office system.

DG…
Khadas is a good dac, I have one of his more recent DACs. Lots of detail. At least you have found the problem.
what is wrong with the Kardas?
Hi Rez is just marketing, it may play at higher resolution does not mean it will have more detail.

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Khadas is a good dac, I have one of his more recent DACs. Lots of detail. At least you have found the problem.
what is wrong with the Kardas?
Hi Rez is just marketing, it may play at higher resolution does not mean it will have more detail.

That may explain it.

Nothing is wrong with the Khadas. At the time I had the DacMagic100 on show on the desk for the iPhone and the Khadas on a small rack under the desk for the PC.

Now I only need the one DAC. I think what will happen is that I’ll still be using the Khadas, because it is good, with the new amp for the PC through the RCA input.

However, this will also give me the option of connecting the iPhone through the USB input if I need to do so.

DG…

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, the SMSL SA300 Amp / DAC has arrived and been installed.
7A6FD00A-D697-4BE3-BD53-E5964782430F.jpeg

A lot more desk space from the old Icon Audio Stereo 25 MkII integrated amplifier.
27770022-270D-4C32-9246-0A6CCFBA9854.jpeg

Bit of a difference in size and I’ve now got a lot more desk real estate.
CAA4AF5D-509B-41C6-BD53-616D97F5A007.jpeg

Now to start playing with it.

DG…

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a Khadas Toneboard 1 and thought is was very good, I made a little case for it which then it was a complete product. I only used the USB from a Raspberry pi but without doubt it punched above its weight sonically.
I replaced it with a Topping E30 II and the Topping is an improvement to my ears.

Reactions: Gray and DiggyGun

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve been using the SMSL SA300 for a while now and so far, overall, exceptionally pleased with it.

Tried the DAC section for a time through the USB connection, then swapped over to the RCA connection using the Khadas Tone Board 1.

There was such a big difference and improvement using the Khadas. So much more detail that you were hearing. So will keep the Khadas connected.

Amp wise, the SMSL SA300 is great. Easy to use, excellent build quality with a very good sound. Played round with the screen colours and EQ settings. For my system, preferred the Green screen and the SBD EQ setting.

Really pleased with it and it can really belt out the music, when you want it to, but generally listen at the 23 setting. For such a small amplifier it is rather good.

The system now is;
Qobuz or Jazz24 streamed via PC (Linux) — Khadas Tone Board 1 — SMSL SA300 — Q Acoustics 2020i

For information, cables are QED Performance Audio Graphite interconnects and QED Reference XT 40 speaker cable.

The DACs that I have tried are;
- Cambridge Audio DacMagic100
- Khadas Tone Board 1
- Topping D10s
- SMSL SA300

Of these, the Khadas is the best, being much more detailed with a greater depth of sound. For the price of this, will probably keep this as it appears to be very good value for the sound quality it produces.

To summarise, I’m very pleased with my office set up, which is my second system set up. Plus I’ve now reclaimed a large amount of desk real estate back. The cables have also been tidied up at the back of desk, rather than then just dangling loose and on the floor.

DG….

Last edited:
  • Upvote

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve been using the SMSL SA300 for a while now and so far, overall, exceptionally pleased with it.

Tried the DAC section for a time through the USB connection, then swapped over to the RCA connection using the Khadas Tone Board 1.

There was such a big difference and improvement using the Khadas. So much more detail that you were hearing. So will keep the Khadas connected.

Amp wise, the SMSL SA300 is great. Easy to use, excellent build quality with a very good sound. Played round with the screen colours and EQ settings. For my system, preferred the Green screen and the SBD EQ setting.

Really pleased with it and it can really belt out the music, when you want it to, but generally listen at the 23 setting. For such a small amplifier it is rather good.

The system now is;
Qobuz or Jazz24 streamed via PC — Khadas Tone Board 1 — SMSL SA300 — Q Acoustics 2020i

For information, cables are QED Performance Audio 40 interconnects and QED Reference XT speaker cable.

The DACs that I have tried are;
- Cambridge Audio DacMagic100
- Khadas Tone Board 1
- Topping D10s
- SMSL SA300

Of the these, the Khadas is the best, being much more detailed with a greater depth of sound. For the price of this, will probably keep this as it appears to be very good value for the sound quality it produces.

To summarise, I’m very pleased with my office set up, which is my second system set up. Plus I’ve now reclaimed a large amount of desk real estate back. The cables have also been tidied up at the back of desk, rather than then just dangling loose and on the floor.

DG….
Nice! Always good to hear that you've put together good sounding kit and not needed to spend stupid money to get a great sounding system. The Khadas was by far my favourite incarnation of any ESS DAC's I had and would rival a fair chunk of todays 'hi-fi' devices where the enclosure is responsible for 80% of the price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online