Linn Owners

Komris for sale

aurelio

Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Hello,

a local HiFi dealer, where I can literally drive to with the bicycle, has a pair of Komris for sale.

Asking price is 7900€. Is it even worth considering it?

I would only have Akurat DSM (Kat) and two AV 5125 (Dyn) to drive them to begin with.

At the moment I am using Akurat DSM -> Acurat ExaktBox I -> Espek

Opinions welcome.

Fazioli

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2010
Nottingham
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That all depends on how deep your pockets are! Whilst they can be driven with fairly modest amplification they are power hungry so the more and higher quality the amplification, the better the results will be and that's even before looking at active operation. Without good quality amplification they can sound very ordinary and you will only be scratching the surface of the performance of which they are capable. The initial cost of the speakers is only a starting point.

Last edited:

Ben Webster

System doesn‘t matter - if you have mine
Wammer
Dec 16, 2019
Frankfurt a.M. 🇩🇪
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello,

a local HiFi dealer, where I can literally drive to with the bicycle, has a pair of Komris for sale.

I would only have Akurat DSM (Kat) and two AV 5125 (Dyn) to drive them to begin with.

Opinions welcome.

Komris are easier to,Drive than the 242. During my Dynamik Updates years ago I had a Klimax Twin (latest spec) and was surprised how nice they sing.

Can‘t say how they will play with the Akurate ExaktBox I, sorry.

Reactions: Paulssurround

aurelio

Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Komris are easier to,Drive than the 242. During my Dynamik Updates years ago I had a Klimax Twin (latest spec) and was surprised how nice they sing.

Can‘t say how they will play with the Akurate ExaktBox I, sorry.
I would use the two AV 5125 to drive them

Flatcoat

Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
I used to own Komris and even passive with one set of Solos was a struggle. I did manage to get the system working well - active with 4 twins!

Do you also realise that there are either none or very fewparts available for them now as they were introduced 20 years ag.

loogiefi

Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
London
AKA
Noil Porter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When I changed from 242's to Komri's I was fortunate to be able to obtain the Aktiv tuneboxes at the same time and had already two pairs of solos. I bought 2 twins to make them Aktiv and not looked back. I was informed that they were ultimately designed to be powered actively but if you are patient in getting there then they will reward you with a mesmerising sound when Aktiv. If you never intend to use twins/solos or go Aktiv then you may wonder what all the fuss is about as you will not hear what they can really deliver.

Peter_P

Music makes the world a better place.
Wammer
Nov 12, 2018
Bielefeld, Germany
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
You cannot use the Akurate Exaktbox-I for active exakt operation of the Komri. It only has 8 channels. However, 10 channels are required because the Komri is a 5-way speaker.
The appropriate Exakt filters for the Komri are available for the Akurate Exaktbox 6 and the Klimax Exaktbox.

Ben Webster

System doesn‘t matter - if you have mine
Wammer
Dec 16, 2019
Frankfurt a.M. 🇩🇪
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You cannot use the Akurate Exaktbox-I for active exakt operation of the Komri. It only has 8 channels. However, 10 channels are required because the Komri is a 5-way speaker.
The appropriate Exakt filters for the Komri are available for the Akurate Exaktbox 6 and the Klimax Exaktbox.
Five ways but there is an amplifiers for the two subs, so only four amplifier are needed. Don‘t know, If Akurate Exaktbox-I can build a connection to the internal amplifier.

Imseti

Menmaatre Seti I
Wammer Plus
Feb 16, 2022
Gloucestershire
AKA
Seti I
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Do not on any account buy Komris.

Gilad T offered to build me a pair for £10,000 in 2009 after hearing I was interested. I turned him down. Three months later they were discontinued.

As I predicted, fantastic as they are, they are VERY UNRELIABLE. One member on here has had absolutely everything replaced except the cabinets and many other members are having failed units due to the complexity of the Komris with no support or replacements available now.

I chose to keep with my bulletproof Keltiks I bought new in 1992 which have been totally faultless since then.

Learn from the experience of other Komri owners on here.

It's just so sad as the Komris are the only Linn speaker ever made which is a suitable and only upgrade for the Keltiks esp. in the bass dept.

Reactions: maddog_007

Sound Hound

Wammer
Jan 17, 2019
AKA
Not Actually Canine
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Do not on any account buy Komris.

Gilad T offered to build me a pair for £10,000 in 2009 after hearing I was interested. I turned him down. Three months later they were discontinued.

As I predicted, fantastic as they are, they are VERY UNRELIABLE. One member on here has had absolutely everything replaced except the cabinets and many other members are having failed units due to the complexity of the Komris with no support or replacements available now.

I chose to keep with my bulletproof Keltiks I bought new in 1992 which have been totally faultless since then.

Learn from the experience of other Komri owners on here.

It's just so sad as the Komris are the only Linn speaker ever made which is a suitable and only upgrade for the Keltiks esp. in the bass dept.
Kiss of death ensues....

FWIW my personal 2 year experience with Komris has been nothing but exceptional. I've owned a few aktiv systems (Exakt 350s included) but my present passive Komri setup, in my room, is the best yet. But yes, the lack of support/parts IS a concern. The question is - is it worth the risk? My answer would be something like - if you were a motorsport addict, would you give up track days for fear of writing off your £80k Ferrari ? Personally, for the reasons the previous poster mentioned, I'd beat your man down to 4k euros, hire a fork lift, and buy the Komris, I doubt you'd regret it ;- )

PS You don't need a forklift - or even a second person. Sure they're not the lightest speaker, but I got mine from London to Cheshire on my own, in a VW golf, and with the aid of a simple sack trolley, got them into my listening room, undamaged, with little trouble. I've often wondered how they'd sound aktiv but TBH I'm just loving the simplicity and the sound they're currently producing.

Now I've said this mine will likely blow up tonight ! Would I regret buying them - Nope - no way - they've been FANTASTIK !!

Last edited:

SnapperMike

And His Hair Was Perfect
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Edinburgh, UK
AKA
Mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello,

Opinions welcome.
That's a great price for Komris. Here in the UK they sell for about £10K

loogiefi

Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
London
AKA
Noil Porter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would back this opinion as I had the same decision to make when purchasing my Komris. The risk vs return ratio was worth it for me otherwise I would never have had the opportunity to experience a speaker system at this level. IMHO Life is a little more exciting when there is some risk involved.

aurelio

Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
THX for all the coments so far!

I did visit the dealer yesterday to take a look at the Komris and they are really massive!
The dealer is selling them on commission for a customer who is (because of age) moving from a house into an apartment and he can not bring the Komris.
The dealer is not selling any other Linn gear at all and never did, so I think he just does not know better, because to my surprise the Komris are already active and come with the Klimax Tuneboxes.
That was nowhere obvious in the add the dealer put in the online market!
I will go again today and bring some music to listen to them.
The setup at the dealer is far from optimal, but if they sound good, the deal is really tempting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.