Leak Delta 30 service - Worth doing ?

M

MJ.

I've just got my old Dads Leak Delta 30 down from the loft (it's been up there 15 years !) and I'm thinking that I'd love to bring it back into service.

It is in immaculate condition cosmetically and I seem to remember it sounding nice the last time I heard it.

What do you learned folk think of the Delta 30 ?

Is it worth investing the time and money in to bring into use in a second system ?

I have a reasonable (though 20 years old) knowledge of Electronics and of using a soldering iron, so think I can manage a re-cap etc. Anything out of the ordinary that I should be aware of with these amps ?

It could make quite a nice winter project; just wondering if the eventual SQ will justify the effort ?

M

MJ.

OK, so just I've taken off the casing for a quick look inside and it's in time warp condition :D All of the wiring is still clean and well laid out, the metal work and PCB's are still bright and unmarked and the Silver and Blue cap cans are totally original, bright and unmarked and certainly not bulging.

The original Leak service/inspection tags are still attached to the mains lead and the original spare fuses are still in situ.

This has just been promoted from a possible to definite project methinks :^

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have one in my workshop, together with the matching tuner. Nice kit, works well. All I needed to do to mine was to check the standing current in the output transistors. Everything else was in spec.

S.

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Much like any other transparent amplifier. The phono stage is somewhat noisy by today's standards, and the power amp is current-limited as was common for the era, but when driving loudspeakers that don't present a difficult load, then it does as well as any other amplifier would of similar power.

S.

bmtell

Wammer
Wammer
May 9, 2010
Northampton
AKA
Mark
I have a Delta 70 somewhere. It's not a bad little amp. I need to clean the connectors and the pots up a bit.

I think the 30 would need pretty sensitive speakers. Get yerself some old Leaks and go for a retro system. I reckon it wouldn't sound half bad.

M

MJ.

Much like any other transparent amplifier. The phono stage is somewhat noisy by today's standards, and the power amp is current-limited as was common for the era, but when driving loudspeakers that don't present a difficult load, then it does as well as any other amplifier would of similar power.S.
Thanks for that Serge, so it'll be an amplifier then ! :)

- - - Updated - - -

I have a Delta 70 somewhere. It's not a bad little amp. I need to clean the connectors and the pots up a bit. I think the 30 would need pretty sensitive speakers. Get yerself some old Leaks and go for a retro system. I reckon it wouldn't sound half bad.
Cheers Mark.

Reading around they seem to be reasonably rated; the Delta 30 and Stereo 30+ the pick of the bunch :D

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have about ten (lost count) 30 plus in the workshop. They're lovely little amps and when they were going for £20 or less in eBay I coundn't resist.

Power it up, quick check, then play. You will be stunned by how good it is.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
M

MJ.

Got the Lenco and would initially use with Minstrels I think.

Any thoughts ?

- - - Updated - - -

A Stereo 30 plus can do MUCH better than that.Pop round some time. I compared one here a while back. Stereo 30 Plus vs Pure Sound L300 and Jadis CA30 monos. It was nowhere near as far apart as it should have been...
Now my interest IS getting peaked ! :)

Surely not.

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A Stereo 30 plus can do MUCH better than that.Pop round some time. I compared one here a while back. Stereo 30 Plus vs Pure Sound L300 and Jadis CA30 monos. It was nowhere near as far apart as it should have been...
I would have thought that a pair of Tannoys would be a good match, as would the KEF 104ab, Quad ESL (with added series resistor) and Goodmans Magnum or Magister.

S.

bmtell

Wammer
Wammer
May 9, 2010
Northampton
AKA
Mark
Let me know when you are free and I'll pop over. I'm free pretty much all the time.

I know the Delta 70 is a slightly different beast, but it just didn't drive my speakers like I'd hoped.

M

MJ.

As I understand it the 70 is a totally different design and doesn't sound as sweet as the 30's.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online