Linn Owners

Linn 242 bass drive unit burning…

akurit

New Wammer
Oct 17, 2018
Hi all it is late Sunday night here and one of the bass drivers in one speaker Linn 242 is burning smell and warm to touch and smell coming from speaker. i noticed the driver clipping while no source playing and have turn off amps but speaker still quite warm. Is it possible for this to catch fire ? How do you go about removing the drive unit ? Cheers Steve

• Mind Blown
Reactions: Ray Vardy

MickC

Expert Thread Disruptor
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That doesn't sound good. Wonder if the amp caused that? You can remove the driver by first prising out the rubber ring, which will then give you access to the mounting screws. The ring fits into a slot within the cabinet so you need to try to move part of the ring towards the centre of the circle it creates.
That's not a clear description but once you start to move it you'll see what I mean, hopefully!

Reactions: Ray Vardy

Pennypacker

d^_^b
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
Netherlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
That doesn't sound good. Wonder if the amp caused that? You can remove the driver by first prising out the rubber ring, which will then give you access to the mounting screws. The ring fits into a slot within the cabinet so you need to try to move part of the ring towards the centre of the circle it creates.
That's not a clear description but once you start to move it you'll see what I mean, hopefully!
Use a bank card or something similar to flip the ring out.

Reactions: MickC and Ray Vardy

grommeteer

Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Kiel Germany
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi all it is late Sunday night here and one of the bass drivers in one speaker Linn 242 is burning smell and warm to touch and smell coming from speaker. i noticed the driver clipping while no source playing and have turn off amps but speaker still quite warm. Is it possible for this to catch fire ? How do you go about removing the drive unit ? Cheers Steve
Sorry to hear that. Most likely your amp is broken. It puts out DC. So by no means connect a speaker to that amplifier before it has been serviced.

akurit

New Wammer
Oct 17, 2018
Thanks Mick for the help, I got the drive unit out and it is very hot to touch still after the system being off for about an hour no sign of fire damage but the coil is extremely hot still. The screws holding the drive unit are also hot so it must have generated a great deal of heat. Is it possible that it could self combust?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: MickC and Ray Vardy

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
If no current is being applied to the driver, you're safe. Take it to a professional. I would bring the whole system to him, or have them come to you. There could be damage to the crossovers as well? I can't see if your system is aktiv or passive.

• Upvote
Reactions: heimo

akurit

New Wammer
Oct 17, 2018
Thanks to all for your replies. My system is Aktiv with Majik 4100 running Bass drivers and Majik 6100 for mid/treble drivers. 242 has cooled down over night so will get my dealer to investigate amps and driver for damage.

akurit

New Wammer
Oct 17, 2018
quick question would the drive unit be damaged if the fault was with the amplifier ? Assuming yes due to the heat stress. If so are replacement drivers available from Linn ?

Utlover

Wammer
Feb 15, 2019
A hot driver in a speaker points to DC supply by the amplifier which is a strong indication the amplifier is defective. So your Majik 4100 needs to be serviced, and your bass driver(s) most probably need to be replaced. It may well be the fault is only in one channel, but under these circumstances I would opt to replace at least the hot one, and the corresponding other driver in your other 242. Reason for this is to keep the sound balanced, especially since you are playing active.

• Upvote
Reactions: heimo and MickC

MickC

Expert Thread Disruptor
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@akurit - try gently pushing the driver cone. You may find it doesn’t move, or that it moves but you hear a scraping sound. Either way that could indicate a damaged coil.
As others have said, don’t use the amp before it’s been properly checked out!

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Are they Mark 1's or 2's? There probably are still replacements for twos, but maybe not ones? You might be obliged to buy a pair? You might need to buy new aktiv kardz too. This sounds serious.

akurit

New Wammer
Oct 17, 2018
They are very late mark 2’s. My linn dealer has just inspected the driver and it is probably toast. He has taken away the amplifier to check out. Although there didn’t look like any physical damage to the circuit board/power supply .

akurit

New Wammer
Oct 17, 2018
Just had my replacement driver installed yesterday also had the amp tested (seemed ok). Issues still there 😔swapped out amp for 4200 same issue. Looks like a failed aktiv card. Removed all aktiv cards and currently running with Exakt box (Nice upgrade 😎) until a replacement card arrives from Scotland. Finally have some music for Christmas.

timster

Linnguist
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Wiltshire, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just had my replacement driver installed yesterday also had the amp tested (seemed ok). Issues still there 😔swapped out amp for 4200 same issue. Looks like a failed aktiv card. Removed all aktiv cards and currently running with Exakt box (Nice upgrade 😎) until a replacement card arrives from Scotland. Finally have some music for Christmas.
Can't keep the Exaktbox? Shame.... ;)

akurit

New Wammer
Oct 17, 2018
Unfortunately only a loaner but on the lookout for a katalyst version if there are any out there…..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online