Linn Owners

Linn Akurate DS - Buy a 1 and upgrade or buy a Used DS 3

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello I have never used any Linn equipment apart from my Linn Sara 9's . I am looking at the Linn Akurate DS as a possible first entry point but would like to have it with the Katalyst upgrade. I will be buying the item used so there seems to be two separate paths you can go . One is to but a DS 3 version which will already be upgraded and the prices for these hover around the £3000 - £3500 level .

The other option is to find a really nice condition DS 1 and then send it to a dealer / back to Linn (sorry not sure how it works for this brand) and get the unit upgraded . Is one better than the other ? The second option with a used DS 1 possible at around £900 - 1000 plus £1800 for the upgrade is slightly cheaper .

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello I have never used any Linn equipment apart from my Linn Sara 9's . I am looking at the Linn Akurate DS as a possible first entry point but would like to have it with the Katalyst upgrade. I will be buying the item used so there seems to be two separate paths you can go . One is to but a DS 3 version which will already be upgraded and the prices for these hover around the £3000 - £3500 level .

The other option is to find a really nice condition DS 1 and then send it to a dealer / back to Linn (sorry not sure how it works for this brand) and get the unit upgraded . Is one better than the other ? The second option with a used DS 1 possible at around £900 - 1000 plus £1800 for the upgrade is slightly cheaper .
Hi Andrew

I didn’t see this last weekend. The Katalyst upgrade is now £2050, as of a few weeks ago. You may know already, as Michael mentioned above, that the five year guarantee is renewed with the upgrade*. That said, the Wolfson WM8741 DACs that Linn uses are still used by Rega and Lumin amongst others, so is far from shabby. It was good enough for the original Klimax DS, which was pretty much SoA when it was launched.

The end result of getting Katalyst fitted is the same, as far as I know. The odd one out is the original DS/0 model with the older style case. As regards factory or dealer, it depends if the version you begin with has the HDMI or Exact sockets. If not, then a factory return is required. However, as I’m beginning with a /2 mine can be done at the dealer. (My boards are awaiting fitting!)

This is what mine looks like currently. It won’t change. But earlier model didn’t have those facilities. Mine is a DSM, which means it has a preamp too. The DS is just a source device .

Hope that helps.

* If you buy a DS3 it may still be under guarantee, which is transferable. A quick email to helpline@linn.co.uk with a serial number will get you a reply with its build date and service history.

2E414A64-038D-4B85-AFFC-E0E19816D586.png

Last edited:

wonky1969

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2015
stondon massey
AKA
jason ruse
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
There's an ADS/kat on gumtree for £2600.
So if the upgrade is £2050, you won't get ADS/0 or 1 for £550.
So buying a ADS/kat would be the cheapest option over buying an earlier 0/1 variant and going the upgrade route.

chesebert

Wammer
May 1, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Andrew

I didn’t see this last weekend. The Katalyst upgrade is now £2050, as of a few weeks ago. You may know already, as Michael mentioned above, that the five year guarantee is renewed with the upgrade*. That said, the Wolfson WM8741 DACs that Linn uses are still used by Rega and Lumin amongst others, so is far from shabby. It was good enough for the original Klimax DS, which was pretty much SoA when it was launched.

The end result of getting Katalyst fitted is the same, as far as I know. The odd one out is the original DS/0 model with the older style case. As regards factory or dealer, it depends if the version you begin with has the HDMI or Exact sockets. If not, then a factory return is required. However, as I’m beginning with a /2 mine can be done at the dealer. (My boards are awaiting fitting!)

This is what mine looks like currently. It won’t change. But earlier model didn’t have those facilities. Mine is a DSM, which means it has a preamp too. The DS is just a source device .

Hope that helps.

* If you buy a DS3 it may still be under guarantee, which is transferable. A quick email to helpline@linn.co.uk with a serial number will get you a reply with its build date and service history.

2E414A64-038D-4B85-AFFC-E0E19816D586.png
I have a DS3 in the old case - oldest case. I had to return the unit to the factory to do the upgrade. Everything except for the screen and case was upgraded.

Reactions: Nopiano

maddog_007

maddog_007
Wammer
Oct 17, 2018
Waterfoot ,Glasgow
AKA
dennis
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I just bought a used KDS/3...
My ADS has the Katalyst upgrade and now is an ADS3.
It is in the "new style" case and Dynamik p/supply.
It will be for sale from this Friday...Once the new box is installed :).
Comes fully boxed with remote and is In very good condition.

Reactions: chesebert

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online