Looking for some help to create a valve poweramp shortlist :)

THOMO

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 10, 2010
Western Australia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would chuck the suggestion of a really good Class A SS amp in there as well. My AMS35P has all the timbre and texture of valves but with the speed of solid state. Its hard to describe the sound - it's so sweet yet not honied, fast when needed but never fatiguing. 

Whilst it's not for sale if you want to have a listen to what really good Class A SS sounds like and you can get to Sheffield you're welcome to have a listen...
Yes that is another really good sounding SS amplifier.

The Accuphase class A amps too.My brother has an A70 and that sounds superb.

Reactions: newlash09

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It depends on the amp. It shouldn't be a problem with a normal valve amp with a choice of 4 or 8 ohm taps. I can't speak for solid state amps, however, so I don't endorse that because I don't use solid state amps. Maybe someone else can comment. 
I seem to remember being told that a SS amp will drive a higher load than what it is expecting without complaint other than that you won't get the SPL you might otherwise get, but doing the same to a valve amp is a no-no - a valve amp will drive a lower load that what it is expecting without too much complaint. Anyone who knows better than me is welcome to correct me.

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The four ohm taps on valve amps tend to be a bit useless really.Well they might be of some use if the typical 4 ohm speaker really was 4 ohms but most dip down to more like 3 ohm or even lower through the bass and most valve amps really struggle to drive loads that low.
The 4 ohm tap can be very useful for raising the Primary impedance, since it doubles the impedance ratio. So a 3K primary would become a 6K primary. If you don't need the maximum power out, a higher primary can give you a cleaner sound. For instance, I and others like a 300b at 5K rather than 2.5K.   

• Upvote
Reactions: steve 57

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I seem to remember being told that a SS amp will drive a higher load than what it is expecting without complaint other than that you won't get the SPL you might otherwise get, but doing the same to a valve amp is a no-no - a valve amp will drive a lower load that what it is expecting without too much complaint. Anyone who knows better than me is welcome to correct me.
I hate words like 'higher' and 'lower', as they could be read more than one way.

Basically, very roughly speaking, you should never run a solid-state amplifier into a short circuit and you sould never run a valve amplifier with an output transformer into an open circuit. Either of those are quite likely to result in tears at bedtime.

Reactions: audio_PHIL_e

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I hate words like 'higher' and 'lower', as they could be read more than one way.

Basically, very roughly speaking, you should never run a solid-state amplifier into a short circuit and you sould never run a valve amplifier with an output transformer into an open circuit. Either of those are quite likely to result in tears at bedtime.
By higher I meant more ohms that specified, and by lower I meant less. I think that is consistent with what you said. It may be more critical in guitar amplification where the amplifier is being thrashed to within inches of its life whereas in HiFi we tend not to do that as we don't like distortion.

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm with Andy on this, valve amp circuit plus speaker impedance variability are sufficient that playing with the 4 ohm taps is perfectly acceptable, and safe with any 'average' speaker.

I also agree with Thomo that 4 ohm taps and 4 ohm nominal speakers often aren't an easy pairing, but many 8 ohm nominal speakers have impedances in the 3-5ohm region in (musically) high energy parts of the frequency spectrum so it makes sense to experiment with nominally 6 or 8 ohm speakers into 4 ohm taps. Well I always do anyway...

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Ady

Shoebox Ady. United by a love of music & equipment
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Gwantommo, 

I'm not far from you and have a Icon Audio 845pp integrated. If you're interested in having a listen pm me or alternatively I'll be at the Wam show in Oct. 

Cheers Ady 

JamieMcC

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2013
Isle of Wight
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Having recently rotated my 2W SET amp back in my system after about four months of solid state amplification.  I find myself once again beguiled by its sonic charms and Its got me thinking about trying something a few rungs higher up the ladder.

Options I've been looking at that have been at a similar price point (6k) to the OP  that might be of interest are

feliks Arioso 300b 

Leben CS600x (can be used as a power amp)

Audio Research Reference 75 SE (used)

But also considering building 

Bottlehead BeePree2 300b preamp with Bottlehead Kaiju 300b power amp circa £3000

Or

Elekit TU-8600SVK (Lundahl OPTs) - £1500-£2000 depending on components and tubes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Gwantommo

Gwantommo

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Sep 1, 2019
Nottingham
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Gwantommo, 

I'm not far from you and have a Icon Audio 845pp integrated. If you're interested in having a listen pm me or alternatively I'll be at the Wam show in Oct. 

Cheers Ady 
Thanks Ady, appreciate the offer. I’ll try and find you at the show!

Gwantommo

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Sep 1, 2019
Nottingham
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks all for the suggestions and comments. A lot to mull over and I think I need to try out some good SS amps as well, just to see how they compare. I like the thought they they won’t melt my rack as well…..

Hoping to hear a few at the show and also do some road trips to audition a few.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.