The new Chord (Cable Company) GroundARAY - any views?

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just teasing: of course you'll have a view!

chordco-GA-2-units-float-750x750.png

https://chord.co.uk/product/groundaray-advanced-high-frequency-noise-reduction/

How many unused connectors do you reckon you have across the back of all your equipment?

These devices plug into unused sockets. You know those little Oyaide WMA covers which apparently do something but at least keep the dust out? At an exorbitant £2.50 each? Well these must be in a different league, being hand-assembled etc and available in just about any termination you desire.

£550 each. Yep. I think I'd need at least 20 to feel "the full benefit": thart will be £11,000 then. Better start saving.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My view: Chord is taking the piss as usual. 
Bizarrely accords with mine

or perhaps

Bizarrely aChords with mine

or for Linn fans

Bizarrely aKords with mine.

Something for everyone. All part of our diversity agenda.

Zen Monkey

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2015
Welsh Mountains
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was a big Chord Company fan, spent a lot on their products over the years. About eight or nine years ago, I came across a post on an audio forum claiming that the Chord 'Clearway' mains filter, rrp £220 or thereabouts (can't remember the exact price) was nothing more than a rebadged £20 unbranded filter widely available on the continent. The post included a link to the unbranded filter on a German electrical store website. I ordered the filter from Germany and compared it to the Chord Clearway which I picked up second hand and they were identical. I haven't purchased anything from Chord since.

Bokke

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just teasing: of course you'll have a view!

https://chord.co.uk/product/groundaray-advanced-high-frequency-noise-reduction/

How many unused connectors do you reckon you have across the back of all your equipment?

These devices plug into unused sockets. You know those little Oyaide WMA covers which apparently do something but at least keep the dust out? At an exorbitant £2.50 each? Well these must be in a different league, being hand-assembled etc and available in just about any termination you desire.

£550 each. Yep. I think I'd need at least 20 to feel "the full benefit": thart will be £11,000 then. Better start saving.
Get one for every hole in your system. Just think how the bass drum will feel afterwards. The wife will ask what's happened?

• Haha
Reactions: MVJ

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My new preamplifier came supplied with shorting plugs fitted to the phono input.

If anyone wants to buy them I’d be happy to undercut The Chord Company and let them go for £250 the pair…

wink.png

chris_bates1974

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 29, 2016
Near Lutterworth
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This has really concerned me. I have a few bits and pieces of Chord stuff, and I've been really happy with it. But these do seem like complete and total snake oil.

I'm assuming the matching cable lifters and high-end fuses will be following soon?

Reactions: Miller-8

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This has really concerned me. I have a few bits and pieces of Chord stuff, and I've been really happy with it. But these do seem like complete and total snake oil.

I'm assuming the matching cable lifters and high-end fuses will be following soon?
I'm with you, Chris. They're no doubt commercially successful and profitable, they've designed and produced some great cables over the years, though got drawn into the more-and-more-expensive race in latter years. This product, for me, crosses a line.

If they sell many of these, and I'm pretty sure they will, they will be meeting a perceived need. That's the joy of the capitalist free market economy. But I think the need they're meeting is a psychological one, not a technical one.

chris_bates1974

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 29, 2016
Near Lutterworth
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm with you, Chris. They're no doubt commercially successful and profitable, they've designed and produced some great cables over the years, though got drawn into the more-and-more-expensive race in latter years. This product, for me, crosses a line.
Yes, I'm afraid that is the case for me, too. Ultimately, I found interconnects and speaker cables to be good value. But I am now genuinely concerned that I'm just being ripped off if I buy anything else....

Reactions: TheFlash

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online