Wammer
Wammer
Oct 26, 2014
Eton wick, berkshire
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a bought a cheap pair of speakers and need to replace the tweeter diaphragms.

I have read they are fragile and when connecting them up with the spade connectors inside the cabinet, could easily break.

Is there any sort of lubricant i could use...wet or dry that won't affect the connection electrically?

So that easier to reconnect.

Thanks

Radioham

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 8, 2010
Peterborough.
AKA
Alan Ralph
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not sure of the question. Are you replacing the diaphragms of the tweeter ? or the complete unit. reconnecting the spade terminals should not be an issue and lubricant should not be required.

H20gna

Wammer
Wammer
May 19, 2016
Simple mechanical answer.

Using a screwdriver open up the spade connector until it easily slides over the terminal, then remove spade connector and with a pair pliers nip up slightly.

The spade should now slide over the terminal with minimal effort and still grip and connect.

Gary

• Upvote
Reactions: bigrod and tuga

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not sure of the question. Are you replacing the diaphragms of the tweeter ? or the complete unit. reconnecting the spade terminals should not be an issue and lubricant should not be required.
Ditto (not sure what is needed or planned here).

You could use a contact cleaner (deoxit or similar), but not a 'lubricant' as this will potentially be a poor electical connection. Either way, a spade connector shouldn't break off unless you're being careless.

All that said, the best spade connector is no spade connector. If it was me, I'd solder the things.

• Upvote
Reactions: Tony_J

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
All that said, the best spade connector is no spade connector. If it was me, I'd solder the things.
I agree, but you have to be VERY careful soldering to a tweeter's spade lugs as it can melt the tweeter voice coil wire coming out the other side. If you are soldering connections to a tweeter, always use some heat shunt tweezers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.