Wammer
Aug 2, 2023
Dornoch
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Technical question….

I have a Lyngdorf SDAI 2170

It has two analogue inputs, neither of which are marked ‘phono’

Will a turntable work directly to one of them or do I need the additional ‘phono module’ to enable playback…. or…. a separate phono stage that will then connect to one of the analogue inputs.

Be gentle, I don’t actually own a turntable yet, just looking for confirmation.

The analogue module is £400 so a substantial outlay just to be able to spin a little bit of plastic with a hole!

All help/advice/suggestions gratefully received!

WolvesWill

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 4, 2010
Wolverhampton
AKA
William Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Do you mean TDAi 2170?

Think you will need the additional phono module, or an external phono stage, from what you have described.

You can get some pretty good phono stages for £400 second hand, and the Lyngdorf stage will be suitable for MM only, so it's a tricky choice...

I believe that most (if not all) lyngdorf amplifiers digitise the analogue inputs, in order to apply the room perfect correction, just something to be aware of.

I have the the TDAi-1120 and the inbuilt MM phono stage is quite good, sufficiently so that I got rid of my Arcam rPhono and just used the internal one. How good the ones on the 2170 is though, if you got the analogue input board, I'm not sure...

velofrog67

Wammer
Aug 2, 2023
Dornoch
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Great info, thanks, and yes it's a 2170.

This is my first foray into vinyl so it's all new to me!

I sort of guessed that a normal analogue input wouldn't work, and maybe an off-board phono stage rather than the dedicated Lyngdorf module would be the way to go.... was just hoping that I didn't need the extra spend! 🙄

DT79

Wammer
Apr 6, 2022
Bournemouth, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As others have said the stock analogue inputs on the 2170 will require a separate phono preamp in front of them.

If you go for the analogue board then it’s the same one that’s fitted to the 3400 and the phono stage is really pretty good. If you already had the analogue board and were looking to upgrade I’d say don’t bother even trying anything at less than £500 so that gives you some idea.

Yes all the Lyngdorf amps digitise the analogue inputs but they’re very transparent and the benefits far outweigh any theoretical/notional disadvantages In my experience.

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I listened to vinyl through the internal phono card of a Millennium with the open-baffles + corner subs a couple of times in the past, it sounded pretty good.

RoomPerfect impressed me enough that I bought a KRK DAC to give DRC a try, must have been some 15 years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online