MAINS FILTERS PAHH GO BACK TO THE SOURCE FOR BEST RESULTS

hifinut

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 17, 2006
Ramsgate Southeast K
AKA
Paul
Iv just a an electrician friend (cheaper;)) install a dedicated consumer unit just for my hifi direct from my meter end bypassing the thinner old wiring,I have got seperate RCBO's (does over current and 30ma trip in one) for each bit of kit also fitted a new earth rod with 10mm.

Running 6mm copper in radial circuits this consistently sounds & looks on tv better than ANY mains product Iv ever tried period all wanky wires etc are just out of their legue in comparisson.

Any normal leccy guy will say that 2.5mm twin & earth will run a hifi fine yes it will but it wont lower the impeadence like this does thats what you need to do not constrict dynamics with complications to the circuit the simpler path the better.

Several mates inc my leccy friend have the same MEM CU's in their kit too & no mains filters make any difference apart from degrading it as demonstrated when I briefly tried a PS audio P500 wich made my mates cd player sound slow via his dedicated line & no better on my old mains ether!

The cost mine was £300 ;) thanks mate :^ but could differ depending upon who installs it.

JUST TO ADD DO NOT TRY TO DO ANY WORK ON MAINS ON YOUR OWN THIS WAS DONE BY A PROFESSIONAL !

The results a massive soundstage a blacker background Iv heard things that where not there before stuff like Floyd sounds superb the volume control can be pumped up a lot more without congestion or going brittle at the topend,oh the bass depth tightness and control are exemplary as are the mids too little outlay for BIG gains not a hifi wanky ad in sight MEM will start been in hifi ads soon :p

I guess the critics will poo poo my post now saying this dont or cant work you should hear it it does!

Feel free to PM questions that I cannot reply to,to keep within this forums rules thanks.

AmDismal

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2007
6mm copper, blimey, you need a strong sparky just to bend it into shape!

I reckon this is a great plan, and had already been planning to do something similar when I move house. Certainly not a DIY project though :nup:

S

s2000db

Congrats, sounds like a great upgrade, and relatively inexpensive too :^

I'm assuming that it's relatively easy to compare this to your original mains source, have you done this blind yet, and how easy was it to tell the difference please?

Feel free to pm me the answer, if you think that the question is inappropriate for the forum - thanks.

johnniebaby

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2006
Midlands
AKA
John
hifinut wrote:

Iv just a an electrician friend (cheaper;)) install a dedicated consumer unit just for my hifi direct from my meter end bypassing the thinner old wiring,I have got seperate RCBO's (does over current and 30ma trip in one) for each bit of kit also fitted a new earth rod with 10mm.Running 6mm copper in radial circuits this consistently sounds & looks on tv better than ANY mains product Iv ever tried period all wanky wires etc are just out of their legue in comparisson.

Any normal leccy guy will say that 2.5mm twin & earth will run a hifi fine yes it will but it wont lower the impeadence like this does thats what you need to do not constrict dynamics with complications to the circuit the simpler path the better.

Several mates inc my leccy friend have the same MEM CU's in their kit too & no mains filters make any difference apart from degrading it as demonstrated when I briefly tried a PS audio P500 wich made my mates cd player sound slow via his dedicated line & no better on my old mains ether!

The cost mine was £300 ;) thanks mate :^ but could differ depending upon who installs it.

JUST TO ADD DO NOT TRY TO DO ANY WORK ON MAINS ON YOUR OWN THIS WAS DONE BY A PROFESSIONAL !

The results a massive soundstage a blacker background Iv heard things that where not there before stuff like Floyd sounds superb the volume control can be pumped up a lot more without congestion or going brittle at the topend,oh the bass depth tightness and control are exemplary as are the mids too little outlay for BIG gains not a hifi wanky ad in sight MEM will start been in hifi ads soon :p

I guess the critics will poo poo my post now saying this dont or cant work you should hear it it does!

Feel free to PM questions that I cannot reply to,to keep within this forums rules thanks.
:pop:They'll be along any minute now.

O

oldphrt

hifinut wrote:

Iv just a an electrician friend (cheaper;)) install a dedicated consumer unit just for my hifi direct from my meter end bypassing the thinner old wiring,I have got seperate RCBO's (does over current and 30ma trip in one) for each bit of kit also fitted a new earth rod with 10mm.Running 6mm copper in radial circuits this consistently sounds & looks on tv better than ANY mains product Iv ever tried period all wanky wires etc are just out of their legue in comparisson.

There is nothing wrong with a bit of fantasy. Some people have Jesus, some have fairies at the bottom of the garden and some imagine that pissing around with mains leads can change the sound of a hifi. :eek:j:

I prefer things as they really are.

Yomanze

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 24, 2007
Warrington
AKA
Neil
i_should_coco wrote:

johnniebaby wrote:
Ding ding! That didn't take too long....
Nope, so predictable... first person to hit my ignore list, due to not actually having to read his posts to know what they say...

notaclue

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Nowhere, West Europe
AKA
Duke of Steepletone
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Personally, I think the believers would be more upset if sceptics didn't post rather than if they did.

What we have here is a person equating a personal experience to a universal reality, i.e., I heard my hi-fi sound much better after a mains 'upgrade' therefore a mains upgrade makes your hi-fi sound much better.

We would need to investigate and test objectively to see if a mains upgrade does improve the sound of hi-fi.

Otherwise, for example, I might eat a Sainsbury's chicken pie on a Wednesday evening and then win the lottery and I might say "Go and eat a Sainsbury's chicken pie and you will win the lottery."

O

oldphrt

Yomanze wrote:

i_should_coco wrote:
johnniebaby wrote:
Ding ding! That didn't take too long....
Nope, so predictable... first person to hit my ignore list, due to not actually having to read his posts to know what they say...
Tried your Firefox speed tweak. it works great. Ta.

ultrawomble

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2006
Manchester
AKA
Jim
notaclue wrote:

Personally, I think the believers would be more upset if sceptics didn't post rather than if they did. What we have here is a person equating a personal experience to a universal reality, i.e., I heard my hi-fi sound much better after a mains 'upgrade' therefore a mains upgrade makes your hi-fi sound much better.

We would need to investigate and test objectively to see if a mains upgrade does improve the sound of hi-fi.

Otherwise, for example, I might eat a Sainsbury's chicken pie on a Wednesday evening and then win the lottery and I might say "Go and eat a Sainsbury's chicken pie and you will win the lottery."
:goodone:

B

BD Audio

Personally I prefer Crabtree consumer units.

MEM are gay.

DB

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 22, 2005
Bahrain, , Bahrain
bigdur wrote:

Personally I prefer Crabtree consumer units. MEM are gay.
What an appalling thing for someone from the Midlands to say! MEM is a good Brummie company and deserves (needs) your support! ;)

Cheers

Dave

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have not posted previously about re-installing my dedicated hi-fimains due to the nay-sayers...

I had a dedicated supply put in about ten years ago after having problems with large class A amplifiers popping the fuses at switch on due to the inrush on switch on. When I ha=d my extension built the dim-bulb electrician used my dedicated supply for the new shower and conveniently forgot to tell me...

Whilst recovering from major bowel surgery this year I decided to reinstate the dedicated supply as I got fed up with the variation in sound quality, even with suppressors fitted on the fridge and freezer I could still hear the thermostat open causing clicks on the system. The same iswas happening with the cooker and shower, as we don't have gas where I live the mains is pretty well loaded with with equipment.

I used a fully shielded 4mm mains cable from the consumer unit into a non-switched twin gang wall socket only for the amp and CD player. At theconsumer unit the feed is protected by a 15amp fuse and a class B Klokner-Moeller MCB. I used to be an electrician but my forte was industrial machinery so all my work was inspected and tested by a fully qualified electrician.

Now laugh away if you wish but to my ears and my wife's (some raised eyebrows from her) the system does sound cleaner and more detailed. A lot of 'hot' recordings are now more listenable and are not as fatiguing but there is absolutely no loss in clarity or detail. Bass is faster and tighter and any trace of overhang has disappeared resulting in a more dynamic and tuneful sound. Once the system was warmed up we quickly plugged the amp and cd into thestandard ring main and the system sounded flat and sibilant with the hot recordings while the good recordings sounded slightly rounded off and sound staging almost completely disappeared. There is no way I am returning to the ring main because the dedicated supply does sound different and so far there are no drawbacks apart from pulling the cable in.

So far I've found a majority of mains blocks squash dynamics bu t the dedicated supply does the opposite and the plus side is there are no clicks or pops caused by noisy white goods.

Give it a go, after all some totally deny that a few metres of cable cannot change the sound of your equipment but they are still willing to spend thousands on expensive hi-fi gear adamant that it will get them closer to a real performance. at least this little upgrade only cost me £20 for all the bits and a few tinnies for the sparky but to my ears it was worth every penny....

hifinut

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 17, 2006
Ramsgate Southeast K
AKA
Paul
Iv heard definate results I cannot post all my knowlege due to forum rules but using seperate spurs with oversize cables lowers the impeadence of the mains which in turn makes it sound much better bit like a big engine has lots of power so even at low revs it's got huge power & torque ready for bursts of energy.

Basicly good new copper cables (all mains comes from the CU with this anyhow) makes me realise my pure silver leads I used before which where good on the standard mains actually wont make much if any difference to what Iv done now they'd be thin in comparisson so could not deliver what the 6mm wire's can.

If you think 6mm is hard to wire other mates who also have theirs done have used 10mm it does sound better again over the 6mm but Im happy to wire it as is for the mo managed to source my 6mm reel of cable from bootfair had about 12 feet short of a full one worth £60 new cost me £9 :shock: :p

B

BD Audio

Hmmm might have a go at this, gotta run around the house in armoured cable though :?

Leonard Smalls

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Shropshire Borders,
Still not sure how the earth works - was it a completely new earth electrode for the whole house in order to reduce earth loop impedance, or just one for the new circuit? In which case was it cross bonded to the Main Earth Terminal, and how did you avoid Ground Loops?

I've got this topic going on an electrician's forum, and it turns out there's a whole host more standards, not just BS7617 but BS-EN50310 as well.. Lawks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online