karlinamillion

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2007
Londinium
AKA
Karl
notaclue wrote:

Personally, I think the believers would be more upset if sceptics didn't post rather than if they did. What we have here is a person equating a personal experience to a universal reality, i.e., I heard my hi-fi sound much better after a mains 'upgrade' therefore a mains upgrade makes your hi-fi sound much better.

We would need to investigate and test objectively to see if a mains upgrade does improve the sound of hi-fi.

Otherwise, for example, I might eat a Sainsbury's chicken pie on a Wednesday evening and then win the lottery and I might say "Go and eat a Sainsbury's chicken pie and you will win the lottery."
Very true. A classic case of the anecdotal being mixed up with data......

Leonard Smalls

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Shropshire Borders,
hifinut wrote:

There are things that I cannot put here as such but if you heard the difference between old and my new seperate mains it is night and day.
If you've had in a separate earth spike just for the hifi, without cross-bonding it to the main earth terminal you'd be contravening BS7671, and BS-EN50310, as well as giving yourself the potential problem of ground loops (i.e multiple paths to earth with different resistances). If a problem arises meaning the installation needs to be independently inspected ( and just sending in an installation certificate means that's possible!), and it doesn't conform, your sparky or whoever installed it could be liable to a fine of around £6k!

B

BD Audio

hifinut wrote:

There are things that I cannot put here as such but if you heard the difference between old and my new seperate mains it is night and day.
I confirm this, just finished fitting a new twin socket outlet fed in 6mm from a dedicated consumer unit and the system sounds completely different, may take a little getting used to I'll report back later......

johnniebaby

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2006
Midlands
AKA
John
bigdur wrote:

hifinut wrote:
I confirm this, just finished fitting a new twin socket outlet fed in 6mm from a dedicated consumer unit and the system sounds completely different, may take a little getting used to I'll report back later......
What, you've got some bass? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

B

BD Audio

johnniebaby wrote:

bigdur wrote:
hifinut wrote:
Well actually yes

johnniebaby

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2006
Midlands
AKA
John
bigdur wrote:

johnniebaby wrote:
bigdur wrote:
hifinut wrote:
Well actually yes
:shock: :shock: :shock:

B

BD Audio

Had to go back from vandamme to chord to calm it down:shock:

Big Dur with too much bass:dunno:

johnniebaby

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2006
Midlands
AKA
John
bigdur wrote:

hifinut wrote:
Did you get a qualified electrician to check it out and issue a certificate? :)

B

BD Audio

johnniebaby wrote:

bigdur wrote:
hifinut wrote:
I need to get some advise on the job, when I switch my amp on the lighting all trips out!? :?

johnniebaby

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2006
Midlands
AKA
John
bigdur wrote:

johnniebaby wrote:
bigdur wrote:
hifinut wrote:
I need to get some advise on the job, when I switch my amp on the lighting all trips out!? :?
I think thats normal :shock:

B

BD Audio

Seriously though I welcome any local wammers round for an A/B listen test.

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
thanks hifinut

gives me more determination to do this but at some point I could do with some more detailed plans to give to a sparkie who probably thinks I`m certified to understand

stewartwen

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 30, 2006
near Blackpool
AKA
Stewart
I totally agree with Mark(Strider) as to the value of a dedicated mains supply.

I dont use any after market filters at all! Wont pay for bullshit which the manufacturers give us lots off when attempting to sell these little boxes full of magic.

As a result my system is extremely consistent.

Sounds pretty much the same no matter what time I am listening.

I am fortunate in that I live about 50 yards away from the substation, and that the street was recabled some years ago.

I dont use any sexy, expensive mains cables either.

I use Doncaster screened mains cable throuout which cost me about £1.50 per metre.

So GET A DEDICATED MAINS SUPPLY the differnce is substantial.

Also if you live in London and want a better mains supply there is only one option...................................MOVE.

S

hifinut

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 17, 2006
Ramsgate Southeast K
AKA
Paul
A very simple place the earth try a seperate one for the hifi you wont connect the old un back it's night and day like a major upgrade ! that was the 1st step I tried before deciding upon the whole hog.

Answer to sceptics out there I cannot explain why my kit sounds better but it does with a dedicated supply,many things exist we cannt see yet use everyday no explanation can be given exact as to why it works but it does take broadband internet it's just frequency sent though cables but it allows massive speeds and quality compared to what the old dialup did.

Most if not all mains filters actually add more or different problems than they solve you always get compromises if your wall socket has standard 2.5mm or less cable then a big fat ££££s silver mains cable or foo filter is doing jack s**t but hitting your wallet.

Its best to try a dedicated supply then if you feel the need a mains filter & make your own conclusion as to weather you prefer it.

hifinut

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 17, 2006
Ramsgate Southeast K
AKA
Paul
Im not triying to knock your filters sodders or anyone elses just going upon my own experience with MY kit & Iv tried a few very expensive (when new) so called filters/regenerators which did nowt ! somone elses setup may benifit them.

B

BD Audio

Perhaps as I've recently added a dedicated mains system I could try a mains filter.

I could then give my non-biased opinion. :)

Trouble is there's a long wait for the Sodders GTI I believe. :dunno:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online