Wammer
Wammer
Nov 18, 2015
Sheffield
AKA
Ras
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I would like to hear some opinions / comparison between these two older Mission speakers models. Or maybe even suggestion of other similar sized Mission speakers to explore later (who knows how 753 or 752 or MX3 would compare..)

I am going downgrade road from mid hifi system, to just enjoy music occasionally and for tv.

For low/ moderate listening levels, in small odd shaped room about 15m2. 

Amp is Arcam 8 now (Nakamichi SR-3 in need of a little attention will be used after), SMSL M8 DAC, Philips CD 950 as transport now. 

The speakers (and matching) is always trouble for me, but right now, they must be in addition quite cheap, quite fast, quite musical, not boomy, not ear piercing trebles, able to play at low and moderate levels well. 

Recently tried CM4 from B&W, not sound I enjoy much, too forward and drivers surroundings becoming aged and stiff. 

I decided to give a try to Mission 782, thus bought one pair for £125, unfortunately keraform mid woofers are dead, as expected.

Then I had an opportunity and bought Mission 773 (MTM configuration) for £25 locally, one speaker’s enclosure damaged from water, but surprisingly it doesn’t affect the sound, yet. 

But what surprises me, is how effortlessly they sound. Clean, dynamic, kind of full body sound with not much bass coloration.

From Mission speakers I have listened to Mission 702e only, it was long ago, the amp was cheap Rotel RA920, they had these plastic woofers and plastic warm muddy sound I did not like much, thus I did not explore the Mission speakers after that.

So now I am pleasantly surprised with performance of these ones - 773s. 

As I have 782s without mid woofers, I can not decide whether I should invest money for Audax replacement drivers to make them right, or not, as I don’t know up to what level they might improve over 773s.

The 773s are 2way design, 782 is 3way.

3way is always harder to make it right, but according to many, 782 is great speaker.

I also like their similar sizes, they both are small floorstanders. 

The 782s are a bit heavier, maybe a little better built (surely 6.5” woofer is heavier), they will go a bit deeper. 

From listening to 782s (without mid woofers) the bass is not as fast with Arcam, surely signal distribution into drivers is messed up, and maybe they need more power to control them, or missing mids influence my brain, or maybe Nakamichi Stasis would manage them better, no idea.. they seem to be harder to drive then 773s.

The Mission 773 with 2 woofers model is excellent speaker for money, (let’s say £150 these says), for someone who doesn’t require windows shaking bass, for me it is musical speaker, with quite rich, quite natural and engaging, organic presentation instead. It reveals enough of detail, soundstage is nice, the trebles doesn’t hurt, bass doesn’t go extremely deep, but wherever it goes, it does sound fast and not boomy, that means more for me.

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The 773 was a decent speaker for the money ,, Mission had so many models to suit every budget snd taste ..The 700 was a cracker of a stand/ bookshelf speaker , I’m currently running a pair in the mancave ..but I have others , including the 10” driver 4 way 730

View attachment 96716

Reactions: hiesteem

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have yet to hear a pair of Mission Speakers that I would rate above average.  Used to sell them in the mid to 70s to 1981.  There are just so many better speakers out there second hand  (to my ears) from the likes of Ram, Celef (became Proac), B&W (DM2a), IMF, Cambridge R40 and 50, KEF, Celestion, Spendor, even Goodmans and the list goes on.

If you must then fine. it is your ears but quite frankly you really need to get your ears around a few other makes. 

As to the Nakamichi SR3 - it is a fairly "ordinary" 45 watts a side receiver and IMO not up the Arcam A8 you are currently using.   If you want a class receiver from the 70s have a look at the Yamaha models although to be frank I would go the separate amp tuner route.  I hope it doesn't cost you too much to get it up and running.  

ramsden

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 18, 2015
Sheffield
AKA
Ras
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
@uzzy Thank you for your opinion. To my ears, the Nakamichi SR-3 betters Arcam 8, although I like it too. This humble receiver is Stasis based design, licenced from Treshold if I am right. Thus basically Nelson Pass. Not class A though. It is working, just it needs a bit of attention, check, maintenance.. 

I also was not fan of Mission (older) speakers, they are not very well regarded here, I guess it depends from model to model. These models are much newer, I guess introduced in 90s. They use Audax Aerogel drivers. I had an opportunity to listen to 8” aerogel HM audax woofer with morel tweeter DIY project speakers and I was amazed how nice they sounded. Since then it is stuck in my mind.

Touching the other brands, I had an opportunity to listen to quite a few, mostly B&W, including DM2, I owned Spendor S5e, those are hugely overpriced speakers in my opinion. At the same time I had Chario Hyper 1000T and Dynaudio Contour 1.8mk2, both much better then Spendor S5e, of course for my taste. KEF might be more to my liking, I only had Q500 and I felt some unnatural box flavour in them, so I guess I would need to go to higher level, some reference series. They are not cheap.
Then I owned Tannoy Percision 6.4, listened to 6.2 and some XT floorstanders, they are not to my taste too. The dual concentric 10”+ are expensive and big.

From Celestion I listened only to A1, which is stand mount, nothing special too. Don’t know the Dittons, but the size wise they are big. 
I am looking for smaller floorstanders.

In general, during 2 times visit at WAM show I had opportunity to listen to various brands and models.

If other brands, I would go for older Dynaudio, Chario, KEF,  or maybe (newer) Fyne Audio, DALI, or classic Epos hm.. if I would win the lottery maybe Harbeth 🤓

But old Dynaudios are hard to drive, Chario it would be reference series, above hyper line, not available here often, the luxury models are too expensive and KEF, that might be the way too, but they didn’t do small floorstanders much.

Thus budget wise Mission is interesting choice. The 773s really sound nice.

@bigrod Thank you for the opinion, I’ve heard good things about 770, your collection is nice indeed 👍🙂 I am glad someone else likes Mission too.

Just they are “a bit” bigger for my present room. Recently Mission 780 Argonauts were sold on eBay, beautiful speakers, just huge 😎 and located far south from Sheffield.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This humble receiver is Stasis based design, licenced from Treshold if I am right.
I have no idea - I have seen claims in the blogs but the Nelson Pass Stasis topology was class A.  It will be interesting in years to come if people claim that Lux amps of the 70s were designed by Tim De Paravacini (the valve ones were).

I found this review of the Nak which had a panel that obviously had similar ears to me https://www.tersaudio.com/nakamichi-receiver-3-review/

Loudspeakers are a personal thing .. as to the units being used, in the 70s they used Peerless Midrange and Celestion HF2000 but still managed to sound grossly inferior to the Gale GS401 (which sported the same mid and top drivers);   As to small loudspeakers the IMF Super Compact was one of my favourite small speakers of the 70s and if you can find a pair the Radford Tristar 90s which are very special .. 

ramsden

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 18, 2015
Sheffield
AKA
Ras
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
That link above shows different receiver, I have similar to this one:

http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/nakamichi-sr-3a-182.html

There are a few versions: SR-3, SR-3A, SR-3E.. not sure about differences. Then later ones are TA-3 when their production moved out of Japan. Then also is lower wattage SR-2 and higher model SR-4.

In reality I am not after very vintage speakers as the drivers/ whole speakers can deteriorate, nothing last forever right? But thank you for the suggestions.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In reality I am not after very vintage speakers as the drivers/ whole speakers can deteriorate, nothing last forever right? But thank you for the suggestions.
Well not forever but my Hafler DH 200 is over 43 years old .. my Audio Research SP9 is over 30 years old and my Art Impressions are 20 years old ... As to lasting forever I bought another two haflers (to ensure I have enough spare parts) to keep them going for my lifetime.  Recently got my brother a pair of Cambridge R40s that were about as old if not older than the Hafler and they are performing fine.   

For me age has no meaning it is all about the sound.  I wish you well in your search and as long as you please your lugs that is all that matters

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.