Mozart's Masses

josh

Wammer
Wammer
May 1, 2006
NW London
Following from the threads on Bach's choral works, Handel's Dixit Dominus and Beethoven's Mass, I thought I'd post one for Mozart's Mass in C (Coronation) and Mass in C Minor. I probably should include the Mass in D Minor (Requiem) for completeness but I know that's already been discussed elsewhere.

So the only recommendations I could find for the C Minor is @JANDL100's  Rilling/Stuttgart below.
I've also seen elsewhere recommended JEG (which I'm imagining will follow his usual style I've heard for Bach and Beethoven's Masses) and Fricsay/Stader/Haefliger/RIAS (both below).

As for the Coronation, I've got Hogwood/AAM (bottom). 

Any thoughts on the above or any other suggestions for the best place to start with these two works?

Last edited by a moderator:

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As a one off reccie on its own merits (as opposed to comparisons) I've always really rated Karl Bohm's Mozart Requiem on DG. 

Yes, it's kind of slow and ponderous compared to the modern HIP (historically informed) brigade. But it also sounds as if Bohm meant it as an act of deeply felt religious devotion. It has me, as a life long atheist, almost convinced he might be onto something! 

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've never really enjoyed the Coronation Mass, although any reccies made here will be followed up with interest, while the Requiem and the Great Mass are among my favourite pieces of music. 

Camverton

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2009
Herefordshire
AKA
Malcolm
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I haven’t listened to the Mass for ages, but occasionally enjoy the Requiem, or at least the first 2/3. My favourite was Hickox, maybe because he wasn’t overly reverential. I suspect that if I was religious I might have found him a bit lacking. I used to know a soprano who sang in that recording and it seems that she, maybe they, weren’t that impressed with him, thinking him a bit dull.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you aren't allergic to modern ballet, try this for the Great Mass. 

Actually, even if you are allergic, just close your eyes as it's a very good musical performance! 

Note: it does have some interpolated short modern music insertions. 

josh

Wammer
Wammer
May 1, 2006
NW London
So I enjoyed all three of the 'Great' mass versions above (Rilling, JEG, Fricsay). They were all slightly different - JEG had a more sprightly feeling (although the recording sounds a little thin/weedy perhaps), Fricsay more plush and Romantic-sounding, and Rilling somewhere in between. If I had to choose one it would be Rilling (as he strikes the best balance), but as the others are cheap, I'd be happy to get them in addition 

I also liked the 'Coronation' mass - it's a shorter lighter work than the 'Great' - @JANDL100 maybe try Hogwood above?

I haven't yet watched the ballet but will do. 

Re: Bohm's Requiem, yup, I got that after you recommended it years ago, and like it too. 

josh

Wammer
Wammer
May 1, 2006
NW London
I haven’t listened to the Mass for ages, but occasionally enjoy the Requiem, or at least the first 2/3. My favourite was Hickox, maybe because he wasn’t overly reverential. I suspect that if I was religious I might have found him a bit lacking. I used to know a soprano who sang in that recording and it seems that she, maybe they, weren’t that impressed with him, thinking him a bit dull.
So I heard this one (I presume the version below is the correct one Malcolm?) and although I was worried it would be boring based on your comments, found it actually quite nice in a different way to Bohm - perhaps a slightly leaner, brighter sounding take. I own Bohm already and don't feel the need to get this one as well, but it was good to hear still, thanks.

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Here is one to try:

518IvQTsNKL._AC_.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members